Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! I have a new to me 04' Colorado with 167k on it. I bought it about 4 weeks ago.

A few days after purchase I noticed a clanking noise from the front end. Most noticeable from the top of engine bay. I'll try to go in-depth as much as I can.

It is a quiet sound (you have to really be listening for it in the cab), and even turning the AC to the lowest setting makes you unable to hear the noise anymore (not ac related afaik, already tried with the compressor on/off). Under the hood it is still quiet but more noticeable.

It's inconsistent and varies in volume (some clanks are louder, some are quieter). You hear a clank every 1-3 seconds but it's inconsistent in timing.

Here is a video to the sound. Video

I'm pretty sure it's a constant sound, but I only hear it from 600-1000 RPM because the engine drowns out the noise.

The sound does seem to get faster when I put throttle on it. It does not get louder

I have put a stethoscope (long screwdriver) on all of the cylinders, and drive accessories, but I have been unable to find the source of the sound.

It's less frequent when I start the truck and don't move it, even if I let it sit till its warm, it doesn't seem to change. However when I drive it around for a bit that's when it seems to be the most frequent.

I brought it to one of the highest rated mechanics in my city & he said he was unable to even really hear the noise.

I don't think I'm going crazy, I've never heard this sound on a car or truck before, but maybe it's normal on collies?

Any insight would be appreciated as this truck is still really new to me.

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
2012 GMC Canyon
14 Posts
Check the lower crank pulley / harmonic balancer. I had a old Jeep Comanche where the harmonic balancer started coming apart and it would make a real faint knock, knock sound at lower rpm’s. You will have to pull the bottom engine cover and look from the bottom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take the belt off and start it for a short time. If the noise goes away, you know it is one of the driven items, then you just have to isolate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts