Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,573 Posts
Definitely sounds like the fan is engaging too early.

Drive it while it loud, then stop, open the hood and spin it. See how much resistance is felt. If it's truly engaged that much then it should be much more difficult to spin than it is when it's been sitting for a while. It will probably spin, but I don't expect you should be able to spin it and have it continually freewheel. Hard to explain, but it should not spin as free as it does when cold. If it spins fine, then it's possibly something aside from the fan? It only howls when it's locked up and drawing max air. I hear my almost never, only if I'm in traffic with the A/C and it's 100 degrees. I had it all through last summer. It hasn't been very hot here yet this yet, not 100 hot.

·
Member's Technical crew
14,558 Posts
I dunno bro, If she turns by hand with say your pinky finger I would say she's fine. IF she kept turning she is bad and won't cool, if she's too hard to turn with your pinky then she's locked up. Either way before you go out and by shit just take it off and see what happens. IF she's quite with the belt off and the tensioner/water pump/alt, ac compressor isnt making the noise then yeah, replace the clutch and be done with it. But at least then you will KNOW for sure without a doubt it is indeed your fan clutch causing the issue.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I dunno bro, If she turns by hand with say your pinky finger I would say she's fine. IF she kept turning she is bad and won't cool, if she's too hard to turn with your pinky then she's locked up. Either way before you go out and by shit just take it off and see what happens. IF she's quite with the belt off and the tensioner/water pump/alt, ac compressor isnt making the noise then yeah, replace the clutch and be done with it. But at least then you will KNOW for sure without a doubt it is indeed your fan clutch causing the issue.
this is a good plan, hell if it is the fan just run up to the zone and pick up a new one...hit up MOZ when you cant get the damn thing off! :th_crazy:

·
Member's Technical crew
14,558 Posts
Don't forget it's reverse thread.

Now, to take out JUST the fan, leave the belt on..and remove the clutch itself. It simply screws onto the water pump pulley. VERY easy to check out that way. The fan itself is a bitch to get off sometime's though so wear glove's and be careful.

BTW, do NOT run the truck for very long without it moving... it will overheat without the fan to cool it down with air through the rad....

21 - 36 of 36 Posts