Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
@Uncanny355, awesome man! I completely forgot I had worked up a picture the other day and never posted it. It was from what I had researched a while back. It is doable, but just not real easy from what I could tell. If the inner dimensions on the cavity for the A/C box are the same as the Holden, then their Cabin Filter kit is workable. However we don't have the premarket slot to cut and it is a cut once operation. I too have been wanting a cabin air filter forever!

One thing I noticed, after watching the video again, is that the Holden box is designed so that the cabin air filter can be placed between the blower motor and the A/C coils. Ours would have to be after the A/C coils. Probably not ideal either...

Attachments

·
the guy that always on
3,236 Posts
@Uncanny355, awesome man! I completely forgot I had worked up a picture the other day and never posted it. It was from what I had researched a while back. It is doable, but just not real easy from what I could tell. If the inner dimensions on the cavity for the A/C box are the same as the Holden, then their Cabin Filter kit is workable. However we don't have the premarket slot to cut and it is a cut once operation. I too have been wanting a cabin air filter forever!

I have a second air box i could cut open investigate

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
The airbox is certainly going to be different with the Holden's being right-hand drive. I don't think I'd want to take the chance cutting mine open. If someone had a spare from a junker it be interesting to cut one up to see if it would work.

That said, I still want one of those locking glove box doors...
Waiting for you to organize the group buy! :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
Here is a screen shot from the video showing the Cabin air filter on the Holden being before the A/C coils in the airflow side of the equation. The colorado/canyon air box doesn't have room between the blower motor and the A/C coils.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
It seems like it would make more sense to filter the air at the inlet source before debris hit the blower motor, if that area is accessible without having to remove the blower case each time?

I don't like the idea of having to cut the cases and rely on foam sealing tape near the AC drain area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys , I followed this conversation and didn't get the final outcome can a cabin air filter be put in a 2010 Colorado . and pictures if you have them thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm interested in getting this mod done.

I came across this video where a guy makes a screen to be installed at the under-hood air intake location:

It seems like it would be fairly easy to somehow fit an off-the-shelf cabin air filter on top of the sheet metal intake shown in the above video.

Would there be a problem with filtering the air at that location? It seems to me that is the best location in terms of filtering air before it hits the blower and AC lines. However, accessing this location to replace filters is not as easy as opening the glove box. You will need to remove the windshield cowl to access the proposed location. I just replaced my windshield cowl a few weeks ago because it had badly deteriorated and removing the cowl is not very difficult but does take probably 10-20 minutes.

One other consideration: a filter will reduce air flow so it will put more stress on the blower. Since the blower and harness in these trucks already have problems, it might burn up the blower and/or put more stress on the already crap wiring harness.

What do you all think? Worth a shot? How would you build a filter cabinet to go on top of the sheet metal intake shown in the video?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not certain if it would be an issue on these trucks, but my car has a very large under-hood cabin air filter. So as long as it isn't somewhere it would get wet and mold, being located underhood isn't inherently an issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm interested in getting this mod done.

I came across this video where a guy makes a screen to be installed at the under-hood air intake location:

It seems like it would be fairly easy to somehow fit an off-the-shelf cabin air filter on top of the sheet metal intake shown in the above video.

Would there be a problem with filtering the air at that location? It seems to me that is the best location in terms of filtering air before it hits the blower and AC lines. However, accessing this location to replace filters is not as easy as opening the glove box. You will need to remove the windshield cowl to access the proposed location. I just replaced my windshield cowl a few weeks ago because it had badly deteriorated and removing the cowl is not very difficult but does take probably 10-20 minutes.

One other consideration: a filter will reduce air flow so it will put more stress on the blower. Since the blower and harness in these trucks already have problems, it might burn up the blower and/or put more stress on the already crap wiring harness.

What do you all think? Worth a shot? How would you build a filter cabinet to go on top of the sheet metal intake shown in the video?
Building on that idea:
Use the foam for the shape and measurements, make a wire mesh fit like he did in the video with an indent deep enough to fit a filter in... then a second wire mesh piece to fit over that, some rubber covering to seal it up and MAGNETS to hold it on, maybe a handle to make removal more simple.. @[email protected]

This is probably something I'll look to do, soon...

Though this coming from the guy who still hasn't taken/shared photos of his truck... (me) x.x

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there no room to fit cabin air filter like through a cut on the bottom? I went to 3 junkyards last week but by the time I got there, all the Colorados were gutted...aren't very common even in southern California everyone wants them big ass Silverados. I want to just get the Hvac system of the junk truck so I can prototype something in there I have horrible allergies and the cabin air filter helps especially when driving down the i-10 or i-15 heading into the desert.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I went to the junkyard today to go look at a Colorado, I got a notification not even 5 hours later all the parts I needed Rear and front bumper, and plastics were already taken by the Junkyard vultures Hispanics really like light-duty trucks for their businesses to run them to the ground. Anyways here's the pictures I took of the HVAC box I ripped it up pretty good with razor blade trying to find a spot for a cabin air filter, as you can see there is SPACE right between the condenser and the fan, my cuts are ugly because I was in a hurry it was hot and was already pissed parts I wanted were gone. I plan on cutting that same section out on my own truck and 3d printing a lid for it ill post it up once it's finished if you guys so choose to cut your plastic up like what I plan on doing. I fucking HATE dust and dander so this will be an amazing mod for me especially since I live in such a polluted dusty area. I plan to prototype and figure out what filters and what not we need, as well as a cover to make it pretty ill try for a locking latch type if that doesn't work something similar to that Aussie one with the sealing weatherstripping glue stuff. I'll do a how-to later on once I figure stuff out and make a contribution to this forum as it has helped me out quite a bit. here are some attached pictures to give an idea.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts