Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mr. Under Construction
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am gonna install my crossmember this weekend. I wanted to know if there is any little tidbits I might need to know before I proceed. Pointers, Advice, or anything like that?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Advice that I could give is patients, patients, patients!!!! Take your time and it'll come out fine.

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Took me forever to remove the braces off the inside of the frame and thats the hard part. If I had access to a lift and plasma cutter it wouldnt take long at all.

Did you get directions with the x-member?

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
what day are you doing it?

need an extra pair of hands?

im free sunday

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Hahaha, yea the factory brackets are a bitch. I thought I could get away with not removing the exhaust so I didn't take it off. It worked out ok but I could see how it would've been easier! And I was weary about throwing sparks all over those fuel lines too so I made sure to protect them good. I used a cut off wheel and when I got tired of that and my patience wore thin, I used an air chisel! Was louder than you can ever imagine but I had my ear muffs on and it got the job done so screw it..lol

It's almost deffinatly a 2 person job. I don't know if some have done by themselves but I was glad my buddy stuck around to help me position it, clamp it, mark it, etc...

Oh, and it is ALOT easier on a lift.....:lmao:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
nice tool box josue. i've got the same box, but the snap-on version

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
No welding. Just grinding, beating, bashing, prying and some air chiseling. Other than that you just ubolt the old one, remove the brackets on the side of the frame via one or all of the ways listed above and then bolt on the new crossmember. I think you have to maby drill a hole of two also.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
That's why I like the Belltech and JTR crossmember, it uses factory holes so there's no lining things up or drilling holes. Once you cut off the brackets you just bolt it on.

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
That's why I like the Belltech and JTR crossmember, it uses factory holes so there's no lining things up or drilling holes. Once you cut off the brackets you just bolt it on.
I see what your saying but if I remeber right the holes are allready in the frame to bolt the crossmember up. you just have to drill an access hole to fit a wrench in to tighten up a nut on each side. All the other holes are there from the factory allready.

Were going to do a belltech x-member on handgunners so Ill have some feed back on how easy it it to install one of those but they all require cutting of some sort and thats what makes all of the suck the most.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
get ready for the exaust rattle. there are lots of fixes for it, but youll have to figure out what works for you. most solid mount the muffler to the brackets in front and behind it. suposed to be real strong though, definatly the cleanest looking of the ones ive seen....

·
Mr. Under Construction
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate all of the help, I am gonna take some pics during the install and post them up...I think I will be using a plasma on it so we'll see how it goes....again I appreciate it. Oh and if you dont have to cut its not custom :)

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
plasma cutter eh? yes......

warren just hit me up with a time and ill there bro

1 - 20 of 24 Posts