Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am new to this site but have read many threads before and after joining . I do not have a Canyon or Colorado but rather I purchased 2008 Hummer H3 for my wife and joined this site due to the fact that members here have more in depth debates about modifications of the GM I5 platform and I like to see more ideas as opposed to sheep herders. Well enough with my boring analogies. I know that the factory intake on the 3.7 I5 is more than sufficient for the draw that is required from an entirely stock set up and doesn't need upgraded unless something further down the line is added requiring more air to accommodate for the fuel mixture. Cams, ported heads, larger displacement due to bore, or boost would be the situation where I feel that an intake would truly shine. That being said I do not really want to go open cone on the Hummer because I would like to maintain a semi factory look and also preserve the integrity of the hood intakes for later upgrades if deemed necessary. I work in an industrial environment and have millwrights, welders, and electricians who are fabricating me a resonator delete tube. I plan to get a PCM for less tune and knock out my manifold catalyst. So here is my real question if I opt for a ported throttle body would I see significant improvement by purchasing a $200 - $ 300 aftermarket intake ? I come form a world of Boost (superchargers) and understand the principal in that but it isn't like I am down sizing a pulley demanding more air moved to be efficient and produce larger PSI. Opinions welcome.... Also if I do need to add a true after market ram or CIA on the 3.7 how does this engine react to a colder (or drilled)T-stat thereby dumping a little more fuel into the mixture.
Thanks so much

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
An intake will generally net you about 10hp (maybe a little more) depending on how restrictive the stock set up is. I am not as familiar with the hummer intake setup as the colly/canyon but I would assume it would be around the same amount given that it is still the same motor.

The intake coupled with a supermod PTB won't really make anymore difference than just the intake itself. The PTB doesn't really add much if any power. However, the ported throttle body gives a MASSIVE increase in throttle response which I would say is totally worth the ~100 bucks. Couple that throttle response improvement with a little more power from the intake and exhaust mods and color me happy.

edit: just re-read...if you mean an intake resonator delete tube then an intake won't be worth as much because removing the intake resonator improves sound and power. Not as much as a full intake but still makes an improvement and you won't look the stock hood intake setup.

Is it worth it? I think so. Sounds more aggressive when you get on it and gives a boost in power.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Do your mods and then get a tune. Free cheap mods first -resonator delete-primarycat delete-open the stock airbox feeder hole as much as possible---add a hp filter if you want--super servo----tune~~~~~~done .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks . I to have seen sheets where stock intakes provide more power (mainly torque0 on different vehicles but wasn't sure if that was true with this engine. I am planning on doing the resonator delete so from what I'm reading there will not be a massive improvement in power over the delete being in place.

open the stock airbox feeder hole as much as possible
I played with that Idea as that was basically what I did with my 04 Trailblazer with the I6. It appears that the fender air passage on a Hummer runs up to a cover between the hood and the windshield so that the hummer can traverse deep water. I.m afraid that modifying that set up with opening the airbox intake or running open cone would jeopardize its ability to go in deep water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts