500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about ordering an intake today

What intake do you like the best? Why?

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
AEM BRUTEFORCE!!!! Because I said so! :thumbup:

Iv had it on my truck for almost a year now with no problems at all...bonus is on WOT it sounds like its going to rape your face off. I scared a old lady once and she almost crashed into the median.... :(

...just noticed you are in the Northwest. If your anywhere near Portland, OR you can come and check out mine or tommys.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Volant...

Well its the only one that I have seen and heard in person (I have it).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was thinking about ordering an intake today

What intake do you like the best? Why?
I really, really like the sound of my K&N...all the AZ guys are running different stuff, so I've gotten to sample most of what's out there...I just like the sound and performance of K&N, it's all I've ever had on my vehicles. :shrug:

I did have a BruteForce for a day...:ugh:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks turbo but i'm in seattle. I was really lookin at the bruteforce because I have heard good things but i just wanted opinions

·
Registered
24 Posts
What happened to it? lol
It was just...eh. :shrug:

Sounded god-awful...I got horrible gas-mileage...I sold it and bought a stainless steel K&N off eBay...sold that to d.c. and got his K&N FIPK...

The stainless one got way too hot.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was just...eh. :shrug:

Sounded god-awful...I got horrible gas-mileage...I sold it and bought a stainless steel K&N off eBay...sold that to d.c. and got his K&N FIPK...

The stainless one got way too hot.
was the bruteforce to loud, did you notice a diffrence in performance with either of them?

·
Registered
24 Posts
For me, I don't mind a loud intake...but just the way it made my exhaust/truck sound...I really hated it, all burbley and gurgley like a ricer. Of course, at that time, the truck was completely stock. :lol:

I noticed a little gain in the top end with the bruteforce, but I noticed a huge gain in middle/top end with the K&N...:mc2:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I wouldn't waste your money on AEM products, they just simply do not have the quality that K&N does. I've been using K&N Oil and airfilters on all my vehicles, bikes included and even ran a K&N Filter on the air system in my truck in Iraq. The things last and offer a real world performance gain that has been dyno proven again and again.

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
K&N all the way. Both the plastic and the Alum k&n systems come with a velocity stack inside the filter thats a plus. I allways read how everyone has problems with there aem's rattleing or the mount on the heat sheild breaking off.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
haven't had a problem with my AEM Bruteforce at all.. everything is as tight as a whistle.. no rattles... sound awesome at WOT. noticeable gain.. but not extravagant.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they only one i can find a dyno sheet on is K&N and it looks pretty good 18hp gain

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
some things to think about:

-the only way to keep up your performance is to use an intake with an airbox (a divider system like the K&N system uses is ok, but not the best at this) that is fed with fresh, cold air. (when i say cold i mean outside air, anything but the hot air found under your hood.)

- Air filters that use light oil to help catch fine dust particles have been known to cause problems on late model cars/trucks that have very sensitive mass air flow sensors (like ours). this is usualy caused by over oiling the filter after washing, but i have read that people have had problems with brand new filters as well.

- if you change the intake be carefull not to change the diameter of the pipe where the mass air flow sensor is installed. the aftermarket intake should be prety close to stock size at this point. the MAF sensor is velocity sensitive and is disigned to monitor the flow of air in the pipe. if you change the size of the pipe that this sensor was meant to be installed in, then the computer will think that you are actually sucking in less air than you realy are, because the velocity will go down even though the flow is up. this problem can be tuned out of the PCM to avoid a rich or lean condition.

-sound is not power. If you like the way a particular intake sounds, and dont care about performance, then get that intake. if you care about performance, fuel economy, and your truck running at its peak, then get something that is proven in real world tests ( not those dyno charts that are on the intake manufacturers website. these numbers are basicly useless to us. we dont drive with our hoods open and giant cattle fans blowing on our engines while we sit in traffic or cruze down the highway).

Personaly, i think the best, and most cost effective, intake is to modify the stock one. supply the airbox with more cold air and smooth out flow in the intake by replacing the resonator box with a piece of gently curved pipe.
if your not too handy at designing a modification for your stock airbox, A company called Jaguars That Run or JTR sells a kit to supply your airbox with more cold air. They tested the intake in real-world tests and the results are there. plain and simple.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
if your dead set on buying one i say volant or AEM.

my recommendation is to get custom and build one!! idk your skill level but its very easy to do. look up the "resonator" mod and "ram air" mod.

i have done a "stealth" resonator mod and my own ram air setup. imo its the way to do and its about $50 and will provide similar (imo better) performance gains than buying an AEM or K&N. the volant offers the ram air setup tho. but with a larger price tag. **the ram air setup wont sound as loud as the aem or k&n since the box is closed off but like i said it seems more effective.

not to take up tons of space but to show you all that im talking about:
stealth resonator: basically a 3" tube ran through the stock resonator box.

this is how the "ram air" tube is ran. seems to make a noticable diff on the highway and keeps engine temps slightly lower:

and jsut cuz im hogging up this page; my engine bay:

little window in intake box is dead sexy btw hahaha

srry if the long post angers anyone...thats jsut a shame lol

1 - 20 of 48 Posts