Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been painting the interior trim pieces and all of them have turned out fine except for the radio trim bezel. This piece has paint "crackles" all over it. The paint goes on fine, but after I let it dry, the paint is smooth in one area and crinkled in another. It almost looks as if someone rubbed a chemical on it. I have done nothing different on this piece than any of the others. Any ideas on how to fix this and avoid it in the future?

·
CALI BOSS
6,326 Posts
Sounds like the paint you are using is too "hot" for the plastic and causing it to crack the surface.

Sand it smooth, prime it with a plastic primer then paint it again. Also try not to lay the paint on too heavy.

·
The LED Dude
5,876 Posts
Sounds like the paint you are using is too "hot" for the plastic and causing it to crack the surface.

Sand it smooth, prime it with a plastic primer then paint it again. Also try not to lay the paint on too heavy.
X2 many thin coats and wait untill completely dry before another coat or adding clear.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I know if you use rubbing alcohol and wipe down every piece it will remove any protectant such as armoral. Thats what I have always done when I did one of my cars in the past. Cause the protectant wont allow the paint to bond.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I know if you use rubbing alcohol and wipe down every piece it will remove any protectant such as armoral. Thats what I have always done when I did one of my cars in the past. Cause the protectant wont allow the paint to bond.
x2 getting the parts extra clean is the biggest part doin this..... armoral is a bitch to get off sometimes lol be sure to clean the corners good to and use light coats of paint and let easch coat dry.... Be patient Do not rush....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.