Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
05 I5 z71 162k miles.

I have had a pretty worry free 162k miles with this truck so far. Mostly highway miles.

Anyway, I've been noticing an intermitten clank from what I thought was the rearend area. I noticed it on rolling stops. For instance, I just heard it at a round-a-about. I pull up brake some, then get back on the gas and I hear it.

Now, the noise is not a clunk. It's a clank. hehe. Higher pitched, almost sounds sheet metal vs hammerish. Doesn't happen often, can't hear it unless window is open. No vibrations, shifts well etc. I was going to inspect my U-joints for play, but then the last time I heard it, it really sounded like it came from the driver rear tire, and that got me thinking - maybe my brakes? They are original, but before I get scolded, I drive 100 miles a day to work, 5 days a week, and only stop a few times, so I didn't even need front pads until about 145k miles.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I'd start with the u-joints. Then lift the rear and check for excessive in/out play. Push the wheel inward and pull outward on it. It will have a little play, can't say what the tolerance is though. Lets say you should be able to move it 1/4"??

Brakes shouldn't make clunk/clank sounds. You will need to pull the drum and inspect. Maybe the wear pad on the backing plate needs a smear of grease....if the pads are getting 'stuck' on the backing place. But the noise won't be pad wear related, in my experiences.

Next would be inspecting the differential internally. Gear mesh internally may be getting worn or something broke. Unlikely with the easy miles on your truck though. But last resort, pull the diff cover.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
U joints..
IMO worth a check... I just replaced 2..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts