Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is 2012 Colorado z71 3.7 i5 with 148k miles. Last while driving on the freeway the truck cut out for a quick couple seconds then came back on and started running real bad I.e. rough shifting and rough idling. Finally got the engine light to come and got the code p0335 for crank shaft position sensor. Ok so I replaced the sensor and the got the code to clear and the truck has been running great until last night as I was exiting the freeway from work. No engine light came on this time, I replaced the map sensor and cleaned the maf sensor like I usually do. Has anyone experienced this or know what the cause is ? I haven’t driven yet with the new sensor in

·
Registered
493 Posts
Unfortunately, it requires the dealer to hook up their ODB scan tool to perform it, and they run the engine through a bunch of speed changes. It's basically a calibration of the sensor to the PCM, and is req'd every time the crank sensor or the PCM is replaced.

·
Registered
493 Posts
This is from the service manual:

The CKP system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether or not DTC P0315 is set:
  • An engine replacement
  • A PCM replacement
  • A crankshaft balancer replacement
  • A crankshaft replacement
  • A CKP sensor replacement
  • Any engine repairs which disturb the crankshaft to CKP sensor relationship.

CKP SYSTEM VARIATION LEARN PROCEDURE
  1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Monitor the powertrain control module (PCM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC.
  3. Select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
  4. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
  5. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).
  6. Release the throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
  7. Observe the fuel cut-off for the applicable engine.
  8. The engine should not accelerate beyond the calibrated RPM value.
  9. Release the throttle immediately if value is exceeded.
  10. Block the drive wheels.
  11. Set the parking brake.
  12. DO NOT apply the brake pedal.
  13. Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON.
  14. Apply and hold the brake pedal.
  15. Start and idle the engine.
  16. Turn the A/C OFF.
  17. The vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.
  18. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:
  • Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor activity-If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC.
  • Camshaft position (CMP) signal activity-If there is a CMP signal condition, refer to the applicable DTC.
  • Engine coolant temperature (ECT)-If the engine coolant temperature is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.
  1. Enable the CKP system variation learn procedure with the scan tool and perform the following:
  1. Accelerate to WOT.
  2. Release the throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
  3. Test in progress
IMPORTANT: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.
  1. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315. If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Independent mechanics may be able to do this if they have the GM scan tool. This is one of those bills you get stuck with on these trucks - some vehicles you can do this by driving it through a specific set of conditions (speed/time).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang. Well I really appreciate the feedback brotha that would explain maybe the repeated symptoms that I had. My wife wants me to get rid of my truck but I love it, I use and abuse and never had anything that inhibited the driving aside from the passlock crap that I corrected. I’ve put my truck through the ringer and don’t want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve noticed a trend now, it starts bogging and shifting when I’m almost home from work sitting in traffic. I’ll turn off the truck and it runs fine for a little bit

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the light to come back on and now it threw a for p0336 crankshaft position sensor A circuit range/performance

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I hear ya, have you heard of successful relearn procedures manually instead of using a scan tool ? I’m just trying to avoid going to the dealer/mechanic

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ok I hear ya, have you heard of successful relearn procedures manually instead of using a scan tool ? I’m just trying to avoid going to the dealer/mechanic
I have yet to hear of a successful attempt besides the scan tool driven process. I've been researching buying a cheap bluetooth ODB2 interface (not the $10-$20 ones, the $100 interfaces) to get this capability using an app on my tablet or laptop. I haven't come to a conclusion/decision on what to buy, but I'd rather put a $100 tool in my toolbox then a $100 bill in a dealers hand.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and take her in this weekend, I appreciate your feedback Kenzen. I’ll keep you posted this week about the outcome 🍻

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So update, I purchased a nice obd2 scanner with the crank relearn function. Did the test followed the instructions and said it was complete. Truck drove fine all day today until the end of my drive home, I went to speed up past the car in front. My rpms were around 3000 and then it bog out and down shifted just like it was doing before, should I attempt another relearn procedure ? And btw I don’t have an engine light on

·
Registered
256 Posts
What scanner did you purchase with the relearn capability?

Is it possible an intermittent fault in the PCM is giving Adawg355 the trouble?

Try running the live data scans on your next trip, see if there is something weird in the fuel trims or fuel pressure or anything, that would give some clues.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Foxtrell nt510 elite obd2

I was thinking maybe it’s fuel delivery issue, I noticed that it will do it when I’m running low on fuel right before the low fuel chime turns on, maybe just coincidence?

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's a good looking option for the scanner. Bi directional support and under 200. Nice

It's possible your fuel pick up and level sensor aren't coordinated. So if you keep your truck above 1/4 tank at all times, is the issue gone? That's a great piece of info.
Man I hope it's that easy.
To fix it you will have to replace the pump assembly. Sounds like more trial and error may be needed to determine if it's that, or some other gremlin.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya me too, I’m gonna keep her above half full this week and see if it acts up again. I figure if it was still something with the crankshaft sensor it would throw another code ? I’ll keep you guys posted 🤙

·
Registered
493 Posts
Give the MAF a good cleaning with the correct cleaning fluid. Check the seal on the MAP sensor. Is there a new code thrown? They don't all trigger a CEL. Check the fuel pressure - $20 kit on evilbay will do the job. Change the fuel filter if you haven't already. Check if the EVAP system has run and passed the internal test. It is possible you have a bad new crank sensor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts