Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Colorado LT I5 2wd has a problem with starting "some times". I turn the key and it's silent with a strange display on the instrument panel. I had the battery and alternator check and both are good.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
When it does crank, are there any codes? Are there any specific conditions when it doesn't crank? He.at, cold, rainy? That's a strange one! I'm sure someone will have some ideas for you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for responding... there are no codes, no security lights... no rhyme or reason when it doesn't crank...other than it happens in the morning. I'm probably going to take it to a Chevy dealer. I don't know what else to do

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The first thing I would do is check your grounding points on each fender. The driver's side seems to cause the most trouble. Behind the breather box on the fender is a bolt with a 10mm head that holds a little black plastic box with about 6 black wires going to it. Inside that little box is a connector that all of those ground wires connect to. It usually gets corroded or the connections work themselves loose. The best - and most permanent fix is to cut that box off, put ring terminals on all of the wires and then remount them using the same bolt, but with some washers. It's pretty easy to just remove the bolt and scratch the paint off under the head of the bolt and reattach it. You might want to just wiggle that little box when it won't crank and see if there is any difference. The other little black box is on the driver's side fender between the battery and the ABS module.
Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you....
Before I move to cut the wires from the drivers side box I removed the bolt and took a wire brush to the fender and bolt. I did the same on the passenger side.
The truck started prior to this and after so I'm not sure if the wire brush technique was the answer. I'll probably know tomorrow am... that's usually when the problem arises.
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide an answer to my problem.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Any time! That's what we're here for. It takes a village to keep these trucks going strong. We're all here to help each other and to learn a little something new now and then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is strange....I tried starting the truck 7am, would not crank. I tried moving the small breather boxes and wiggled the wires... nothing.... No codes on the reader
7:50am... I had the hood open, the drivers door open with the key in acc mode. I'm standing 15 ft away and I hear the open door bell chime I walk over to the truck and it starts right up.
It seems to have magically fixed itself

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also recommend doing the permanent fix on the two ground points. For any weird electrical issues start with ensuring a good ground. I’ve had to do this on both of my trucks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
SUre seems like an intermittent connection somewhere. My first guess is in the ignition switch. Next time it fails, remove the key and reinsert. wiggle it around a bit while trying to crank. see if you can get that connection to......connect. Entirely possible the switch connections have a little carbon build up or have worn some.
You could go overboard and remove the column trim and tap it gently with a hammer while they key is in ACC with no chimes. Do some more testing to see if the chimes and no start are correlated.
Could also be loose connection in the fuse box. Had that happen to me once. Maddening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had 10 days of trouble free start ups. I guess I became complacent and thought the problem had resolved itself...... I am now stuck in a store parking lot after a no start.
Is it really too much to ask for the truck to start??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts