Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
SUre seems like an intermittent connection somewhere. My first guess is in the ignition switch. Next time it fails, remove the key and reinsert. wiggle it around a bit while trying to crank. see if you can get that connection to......connect. Entirely possible the switch connections have a little carbon build up or have worn some.
You could go overboard and remove the column trim and tap it gently with a hammer while they key is in ACC with no chimes. Do some more testing to see if the chimes and no start are correlated.
Could also be loose connection in the fuse box. Had that happen to me once. Maddening.
I removed the key, reinserted, wiggled the key... Nothing.
As soon as the Colorado was off loaded from the tow truck it started right up. I wanted to take a sledge hammer to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
That stinks! Sure smells like a loose contact somewhere. Before the sledge, check starter connections. Wiggle fuses. Heck wiggle fuse box. At least it's home now, but I very much feel your pain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
watched a couple of videos and got some insight into my problem. I took the ground points box on the driver's side apart (not easy).... apparently that controls ignition.
I was reluctant to cut those wires and put ring terminals on. I cleaned the connections as best I could and put an extra ground wire from the bolt to the battery ground. I'll take it out tomorrow to see if anything changes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A normal trip to the store with my Colorado turns into an adventure but... no starting problems.
I managed to return home w/o a tow truck and multiple start ups thru out the day were trouble free.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts