Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
VrrroooooomWhooooosshhhht
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everybody! Time for my first post!

Quick back-story: I've been lurking here since I decided to sell my old '95 tacoma and was considering alternatives to a newer toyota. A few of the builds here quickly turned me off of imports and full sized GMs and solidified my future in the 355 game. I'm not really new to spending too much on cars or working on gm's. About 2 months ago I decided that I needed a crew cab 5.3, and about a month ago I found this 2010 Canyon (5.3, ~37k miles, fully loaded, zq8):

The low-down: For most people, this thing is beyond being 'done'. It was making 760rwhp before I had the previous owner detune it for AZ pump gas. It's already got everything I needed and more than I want. That being said, I know I can't leave well enough alone. Here's the current mod-list. Prepare your buttholes:

Engine: Speed Inc TU0 Cam (216/216 .561/.561 114lsa), Manley 7.4" hardened pushrods, PAC 1218 valve springs, Pro Comp headstuds, LS9 head gaskets, Edlebrock Pro Flo XT intake, ported throttle body, dual 11" electric fans.

Fuel: Walbro 450 in-tank, Earls filters and -an fittings, nylon braided -8 line, FIC 1000cc injectors (for e85) Edlebrock billet rails, Holley billet fpr, factory line is now being used as a return line.

Turbo: Turbonetics billet 7575 .96a/r turbine housing, Precision 46mm wastegate, TiAL 50mm bov, Treadstone intercooler 25"x6"x3.5" with 3" inlets, 3" cold-side, Turbowerx exa oil scavenge pump returning to the valve cover.

Exhaust: Pre Turbo: 2 1/4" with v bands merged to a t4 flange, fully wrapped in DEI titanium header wrap. Post Turbo: 4" to a Hooker Maxflo muffler, a few feet of 4" pipe and a turndown.

Transmission: CTS-V spec t-56, Pro 5.0 shifter, ACT T2S-G01 twin disc, Stock 355 pedals and hydraulics.

Suspension: Belltech coilovers in front, JTR billet 2" blocks and Belltech Streetbeat shocks in rear, Caltracs traction bars, stock brakes and Zq8 wheels, Sumotimo htrz 265/40/18s all around with a pair of Mickey Thompson ET streets to put out back.

Electronics doo-hickies: Innovate MTXL Wideband o2 sensor, Innovate EGT sensor (both molded into the dash, looks stock except for the gauges themselves), Turbosmart e-boost street boost controller, MSD 2-step

Interior: Kenwood Excelon double-din, Rockford components in the front, Rockford 400.2 amp, Factory leather heated seats, Hummer H3 center console, suede shift boot and aluminum ball shift knob.

Exterior: Painted outer handles/mirrors/grill surround, brushed handles/tailgate latch/front bumper, Street scene roll pan.

I know this is a lot to be already done for a 'build' thread, but rest assured, this isn't just me bragging about my sweet new ride. I've been brainwashed by all of the other builds on here and I've regressed into a money-wasting modfiend. I nearly bought Boyd's roof rack before I even had the truck. I already call people by their first names like I know them. The truck also came into my possession (as most modded vehicles will) with some issues. The previous owner did some great things, but was also under the impression that only he should work on the truck, and there were some things he should have deferred to a professional. So here are the plans right away:

Thursday I'm getting a new tune. Currently the truck will stall due to some cam surge when I'm in parking-lot situations. It also does it sometimes after getting into boost and then taking it out of gear (like rolling into 3rd and then coasting so that I'm not constantly 20mph over the limit. Luckily one of the best tuners out there is here in AZ, and I've snuck in a dyno session to get that all sorted out.

Next week I'm having my RPM stage V t56 taken from my '00 Trans Am (which is a basketcase for another thread) and put in. That trans can handle much more power, and doesn't have the odd whining that this CTS-V spec that the owner built. I think it's only a pilot bearing or something, the trans is smooth as butter, but if the clutch isn't fully depressed it sounds like a supercharger or electric whine and sometimes it does pop out of 2/4/6/r (which is an odd combo, but whatever).

I'll also be adding some more mufflage soon. I'm not positive on what I'll go with but I generally prefer Magnaflow, so I'm thinking 1-3 mufflers that are 4" and non-baffled, to keep restriction to a minimum.

The audio in the truck is pretty lacking. I've already ordered a downfiring dual 10" box for under the seat, we'll see if that balances it out enough, but I anticipate ditching all of the rockford gear and building my own setup. I usually enjoy this process, but for some reason it's always right around summer, which sucks balls. We'll see if I can hold off until it's nice out again.

There are plenty of odds and ends to come, but I thought I'd say hi and then proceed to bore you all to death. Thanks for being here, it looks to be a pretty great community. Here's a little 3rd gear pull for being patient and at least scrolling through this:

·
Luv them hoochies
3,351 Posts
Re: Irish350's 'New Guy' Build - 5.3, t56, Turbonetics t7575

Welcome to the nation
That's a nice looking truck u found there with all those mods already done to it can't wait to see the new plans u have for it

The video doesn't work

·
Registered
868 Posts

Looks very nice,surprised I havent seen it around as I am in Chandler about every day. are you using Nick for the tuning?

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Sorry, not sure why the video won't embed.

Looks very nice,surprised I havent seen it around as I am in Chandler about every day. are you using Nick for the tuning?
Yep, Nic is the man. He's tuned all of my cars except for my lt1 camaro back in the day :D ...Also, I work early as shit, and I'm barely in chandler (more like south tempe).. I'll keep an eye out for you!

Oh, and look at OP delivering already! Flipped my 3rd brake light. Took a picture so you can see how tight things are with the Caltracs (how cool do I look?). Also my passenger cupholder had popped out so I made a little wedge to go under the plastic latch so it's good n tight now:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

That 355 ya got there's a "BEAST!" Very nice ride & I bet you'll make it even more awesome in the upcoming years of ownership.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

That 355 ya got there's a "BEAST!" Very nice ride & I bet you'll make it even more awesome in the upcoming years of ownership.
Thanks!

Sometimes it's gotta get worse before it gets better. I'm hoping I dont have to say that too much haha.

I went to get the truck tuned on Thursday and completely forgot that it's tuned for speed density, which my tuner personally dislikes and from what I understand is kind of illogical. So the first mods of the turbo system will begin shortly. I'll be moving the blow off valve and in it's place a card style maf will sit. I may also convert it to flex-fuel...

To get it through emissions I took it to Top Gear Motorsports up in Mesa yesterday, and unfortunately while clearing the fault codes/sensors the battery died. The original battery, circa 2010. In AZ that's something I've never seen before, I think my previous record was 3 years. :drinking28:

..Anyway, it either locked up or fried the pcm or tcm, so it's got no vss, no a/f, has a check engine light, etc.

I took this as my mechanic went inside to grab me a new optima

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks, Clutch. Your build is super clean too, if I went for an offroad build I'd be copying you.

I stocked the craigslist ad for this until it sold. Glad to see it went to someone who found their way here!
Haha, I actually never saw that, but I did find it on ls1tech.

I've learned a ton here already, I think if the truck ever gets a sticker it'll be :salute:

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts

Thanks, Clutch. Your build is super clean too, if I went for an offroad build I'd be copying you.

Haha, I actually never saw that, but I did find it on ls1tech.

I've learned a ton here already, I think if the truck ever gets a sticker it'll be :salute:
Yep, even downloaded the specs and pics from the craigslist add for future reference. Lol it's sad indeed.

Attachments

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

For what it's worth, I'm thinking this turbo setup may have started as an STS. The previous owner probably cut it up some and put it in, then went through a ton of different turbos and changed some things along the way, but I think you should do a turborado. I've always had a thing for clean white vehicles.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Got some stuff...

Obligatory 3rd brake light flip and ez-down pic

Some stuff for now, some stuff for later...

Needs some trimmin!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

I love where this is going fast

Welcome to the party

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

Thanks guys. Nah, never did make it to the track with with my other cars either.. Although with the 2-step this thing smooths the power pretty well. Once I get the other transmission in we'll see how it can handle a decent rpm clutch-drop :)

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

You just need to 4 link the rear

I just did a 3.73 swap and 93 tune.............and I'm having traction/wheel hop issues; even with 3/4 ton traction springs

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

its got caltracs link bars now, but they really kill ground clearance... ill have to get a picture of my stitched up driveway one of these days haha

a 4 link would be badass but i wouldnt want to sacrifice any comfort/ride quality. although I guess that would just mean another pair of coilovers...

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

2 more boxes came today:
more intake/tuning parts

New shift knob. Supposed to fit c5s and aftermarket screw on, but for whatever reason it's not threaded or anything, just a hollow plastic/rubber tube. I'll get a nut and some epoxy and deal with that soon enough. It also doesn't completely match the suede boot (it's lighter and has the different stiching). That will get dealt with sometime down the road:
before:

after:

contrast:

1 - 20 of 285 Posts