Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after doing some research and planning out my mounting setup, I went ahead and ordered some 74" Iron Cross HD steps (#9980). I've always wanted a set and last week I finally decided to pull the trigger.

I purchased them through Lordco, cost me about $410 CDN (after taxes). Didn't come with brackets obviously, so I made my own. Figured out the perfect way to mount them, just modded up some 6" corner L-Brackets I bought at Home Hardware. They installed so easy. I'm really happy with how they look on the truck, especially that they cover some of my frame that's exposed due to my body lift.

Here's a quick pic because it was getting dark. Going to wash the truck tomorrow and get a bunch of good pictures to show you guys. If anyone's interested I can post more on my mounting setup. What does everyone think? :)

Attachments

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
They look beefy as hell

More pics though :thumbup:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you guys like them too, I'm super stoked on them. Will update tomorrow. Bet they'll look even better on a freshly washed truck :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I had a few ideas on how I wanted to mount these. Since not having access to a welder and not wanting to pay someone to fab up some brackets, the easiest way I came up with was to secure them to the rocker pinch welds and to the body mounts on the frame using some modded 6" Corner L-Brackets that you can find at any hardware store.

It also involved drilling 5 - 1/4" holes in each running board where the brackets will attach, and 3 - 1/4" holes on each side of the truck along the pinch welds that lined up with the body mounts. I had intended on using 3 brackets on each side but the body mount at the back of the cab didn't quite line up close enough to do the same as the front and middle mounts, so for that one I only secured it through the pinch weld. After I then painted them all with a black rust-resistant paint.

Everything is extremely secure with barely any flex when stepped on, and I weigh about 190lbs. The only spot that flexes a bit is the spot at the back of the cab where it's only secured to the pinch weld, but I have found a easy solution to secure it better when I get around to it.

I know some people probably don't like the idea of drilling into their truck but I didn't mind. With the way they're mounted, they hide the rocker pinch welds as well as a bunch of my exposed frame.

I think I'm the first person to do this, but I'd love to see some more trucks running these steps because personally I think they are the best looking step out there, and they give the truck a bit more of an aggressive look.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The setup for installing them looks real good, simple and effective. I just would recommend to add another support for the rear end.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I like those. Deff different!!

·
Roll Damn Tide!
631 Posts
I deff like them!!! Agreed w/others its different.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am definitely planning on securing the back end better. I had planned for it to look like the first image below, but then realized it doesn't line up, so I was thinking the second drawing could solve that issue while reusing the L Bracket I had modded for it. I like Fitsector's idea too, I think it would be an equally good solution.

Something I should have done before installing them out in the cold was use a hair dryer to heat up and peel off that Iron Cross decal, it's interfering with my black and green theme lol. Was also thinking eventually paint the step pads matte black instead of the silver.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts