Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I grab the front drive shaft, there is a fair bit of play at the transfer case end. Is this normal? I'm guessing it's not.

Other symptoms:

When in 4x4, I sometimes hear a metal on metal clanking / rattling / ticking sound coming from the front right of the truck - the side the driveshaft is on. I mostly just hear it when turning in 4x4, but sometimes when going straight accelerating or decelerating. If I find a gravel parking lot and turn around, it is noticeable. I noticed a slight clanking sound previously, but never though much of it, as it was only slight, and occasional. Today, when backing off a snowbank, I heard it much louder than normal.

There is no play in the front right CV.

I know that the front driveshaft failing is not exactly uncommon with these trucks.

I have a trip planned next weekend, and don't want to blow it up.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, searching for the issue on forums, I came across somebody mentioning the boot / seal at the CV / t case end of the drive shaft. It's supposed to look like this, right?

Well, mine looks like this:

A failed seal could make that joint unhappy eh?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This means the whole driveshaft needs replacing right?

Typically I would see this as an upgrade opportunity, but I need this fixed by Thursdqy.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
drive shaft and CV joint/propeller needs to be replaced

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That right there is the weak line on the driveshaft.Why they built it like that is beyond me.I have a slip yoke and a double cardan joint due to extreme angles of my front diff.Much better than that sissy CV joint GM uses
Unfortunately though, the front driveshaft is not the only sissy CV joint in the front drivetrain. You can make the driveshaft invincible, but that will just move the point of failure to the drive axle CVs.

Yeah, I know, that's why you don't have sissy IFS...

·
Registered
409 Posts
I recall there was an upgrade for our front driveshaft... Rocky Mountain Driveline I believe. Might be a good upgrade considering what your truck might see in the future. Also, consider the possibility that the increased angle at that joint secondary to the suspension lift might have been a factor.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Damn. I read this post the other day. Mine doesn't really make noises or act funny like u said yours does. But I went and checks mine. My boot is blown to. Have about a 1in hole in it.. :/

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
I surprisingly haven't had any issues with my front driveshaft...yet.

But the cv axles on the other hand...
not to mention... transfer case issues

·
Nipple
6,350 Posts
You know it! It's in the stealership's hands now...I can't wait to see what they dig up.

I do kinda, secretly hope that the transfer case is junk just so I can put in a manual one.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To conclude this thread, replacing the front driveshaft did fix the problem noises.

I decided to go with a custom unit by Rocky Mountain Driveline. You can read more about that here:
http://www.355nation.net/forum/i4-i5-engine-drivetrain/67761-front-drive-shaft-upgrade-its-available.html

I always like to update problem threads to help those who may be searching for resolution to the same problem in the future. It can be frustrating searching for answers, finding threads about the same problem, but no updates on how the user resolved the issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts