Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the thermostat and the fan cluch and my thermostat temperature needle still hangs out between half and three quarters, but mostly closer to three quarters. It never gets over three quarters. I havent had this truck too long and it makes me nervous becaused every other car i have ever had the needle never got above half way. Is this normal?? If so then why doess it run warmer than other cars. I dont know if it matters but this truck was sold originaly in Canada and also has and engine block heater that can be plugged into an 120v outlet. ((HELP ME OUT))

·
woo
453 Posts
These gauges are NOT accurate and it seems like everyone here has a different spot that their truck runs at. That being said, your gauge does seem to be reading higher than most of the ones I have heard of people talking about here.

Air in the system?
What do your coolant levels look like?
What is your coolant mixture at?
Have you flushed the system?

Alot of people here have a ScanGauge II that gives a direct reading from the trucks sensors, it may be a worthwhile investment for ya.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thermostat changed by dealership and fluid topped off with dex 3. what temp is the thermostat opens at?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Since you're in a warmer state, just adjust the coolant mixture to something more appropriate for your climate. Here in AZ, I had the same problem, so I changed the coolant-water ratio to 70% water and it never gets above half way anymore :shrug:

·
Registered
950 Posts
I checked it with the guage I have and its right a 0*. Works for me year round where I'm at. If I go hunting or somewhere that gets colder than that, I'll just drain some out and add more coolant to get the freezing temp lower.

·
I fucking atoadaso!
4,217 Posts
I bought my 04 about two months ago and on days when the outside temp is 95 -100 degrees mine runs at about the same spot, below that temp and it runs just under halfway. It made me nervous a hell cause i've never owned a car that ran that high but it seems thats just the way it is. :shrug:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Half way between 1/2 and 3/4 is only 210* on my scanner anyway which is no big deal. Only reason I changed my ratio is that I live in a one dimensional climate. Heat is the enemy in the long run of a lot of engine components. Like I said, 210* is fine, but if you live in a warm state...why not go lower.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,553 Posts
I had a 1986z with a big block and it ran alittle hotter than the small block I put aWater wetter product and it stayed coller with it in. it was from royal purple. But like nativecolorado said 210 isnt really that hot

·
Harry...
13,936 Posts
I doubt it's getting hot at all, my old cluster used to jump up to 3/4 of the way sitting still in the summer with the a/c on....it never overheated....some guages just arent right from the factory....get a ScanGuage if you want to keep tabs on your engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since you're in a warmer state, just adjust the coolant mixture to something more appropriate for your climate. Here in AZ, I had the same problem, so I changed the coolant-water ratio to 70% water and it never gets above half way anymore :shr
Since you're in a warmer state, just adjust the coolant mixture to something more appropriate for your climate. Here in AZ, I had the same problem, so I changed the coolant-water ratio to 70% water and it never gets above half way anymore 🤷
I am also in AZ with an 06 Chevy Colorado with an in-line 4 and it runs about the same (3/4) just had the Radiator and thermostat replaced are you saying use a 70% water or coolant ratio?

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Welcome !, this time of the year there are many post covering this ... one option is to use 70% water / 30% coolant. that means its only good for weather down to 5*F instead of -34*F. i would be cautious and first get a true reading from the OBD2 port instead of the gauge on the dash. the 2004 to i think the 2006 model cluster temperature gauges were not that accurate. Driving temperatures seems to be as low as 188* and some reported as high as 217*. In South Louisiana, mine never sees above 204* while driving. you can manipulate the ratio by using a hand siphon pump and Prestone gauge very easy. With a COLD engine, from the rad cap you can siphon out ~24oz. (3cups) adding either amount of just water or just antifreeze is enough to effect the ratio and cooling … and yes i do realize its a 10 year old post :)

prestone.PNG antifreeze.PNG

·
Registered
90 Posts
Last week it was 95 to 100 each day where I am. My truck was right at 1/2 on the gauge most of the time. A few times in traffic it was just slightly over 1/2.

You can get a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner pretty cheap. One of the ones I have was $10 online. There is a free app called Torque that will display a lot of the OBD2 data. Not as good as running one of the PRO or Factory scanners... but it will definitely tell you the engine temperature. They are also handy for Check engine Light code reading and clearing the codes.

Another option is an infrared temp gauge. I have a cheap one from Harbor Freight. Probably about $10 for it also. When the truck is fully warmed up (3/4 scale for you) shot it at the water outlet (or as close as you can get) and see what temp it is reading. That isn't 100% correct, but will give you an idea of how hot it is running. Since the water outlet is somewhat hidden, you might get an easier reading at the top radiator hose connection to the radiator.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I checked the temp at the upper radiator hose to engine connection w my IR temp gauge.

I had 215 degrees w slightly over half scale on my i5.

That # might help you figure out it yours is running hotter than normal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts