Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to cut the stock springs on passenger side to fix the "chevy lean" and would it affect ride and shit or am i better off finding aftermarket ones and cutting those?

J

·
0 Posts
yea you can cut the springs, buttt, it may mess up ride. not sure though, don't have this done so can't say first hand if it does or not.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Lots of people do this. I believe it's about a 1/2 coil to level it out.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
You'll be perfectly fine cutting them. That's what most of us do.

Set the truck up on some level ground then at the center of the wheel, measure from the ground to the fender lip for both sides. Once you have the measurements, compare the two.

Most guys are only off by a 1/2" and that means you'll just cut off a 1/2 a coil.

Each 1/2 a coil is roughly a 1/2".

A full or close to full tank of gas also helps. It does make a difference.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok if i am off an inch would cutting an entire coil hurt it? shouldnt i just cut a hlaf first then measure again and cut if necessary? probabl smartest way huh

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
ok if i am off an inch would cutting an entire coil hurt it? shouldnt i just cut a hlaf first then measure again and cut if necessary? probabl smartest way huh
yea, because if you fuck up the first time you cant undo it and will have a reverse chevy lean

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha i could have a retarded 355! the only on in the nation! hmmm lol

that would suck though... where is the best place to go local shop wise that will cut the spings for me? or what can i use to do it myself i would like this way better

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
haha i could have a retarded 355! the only on in the nation! hmmm lol

that would suck though... where is the best place to go local shop wise that will cut the spings for me? or what can i use to do it myself i would like this way better
I would just use a dremel man. you might also want to add some weight in the drivers seat when you measure.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why add weight i thought when the springs werent compressed is when its best to measure?

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
why add weight i thought when the springs werent compressed is when its best to measure?
Thats what I was always been told. it makes it level when your driving. you have to factor in your weight. you also have to factor in how you load your cab on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I would just use a dremel man. you might also want to add some weight in the drivers seat when you measure.
a dremel, to cut a spring? you must have a badass dremel. Most people use plasma cutters to cut springs. Or some sort of cutting torch.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Thats what I was always been told. it makes it level when your driving. you have to factor in your weight. you also have to factor in how you load your cab on a regular basis.
so if you cut the springs to make it level when your driving alone. Wouldnt that mean if you had a passenger you would be back to square one with the lean.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
a dremel, to cut a spring? you must have a badass dremel. Most people use plasma cutters to cut springs. Or some sort of cutting torch.
yeah man. when I was bored I used a dremel to cut a bike apart. it just takes some time.
Most people don't have plasma cutters.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
so if you cut the springs to make it level when your driving alone. Wouldnt that mean if you had a passenger you would be back to square one with the lean.
Its all about normal driving conditions. sure it will lean if you have a 300 lb guy ride with you.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
HEY, anyone who is suggesting using a plasma cutter, or a torch, or sometimes even an angle grinder is incorrect. if you heat up the spring, they loose heat treatment. this will cause the spring to crack eventually. the best option is to use a band saw or a portable band saw (portaband) to get the job done. if you don't have anything like that handy, i would be more than happy to assist you with the cutting process. i have both a band saw and a Portaband.

JediSpam's suggestion is also a good one.

·
Registered
667 Posts
^ Yeah, cutting coils with anything that generates that amount of heat definitely will fuck shit up quickly, or eventually. Your ride will be TERRIABLE if you cut 'em with a plasma....band saw is definitely your best best.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts