Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with an 05 4wd Z package. I just changed out my shackles and ran into a problem with one of the bolts. After talking to canyon04z71 he informed me that he had the same problem.

After jacking the truck up and using jack stands in front of the rear tires. I removed the bottom bolts of both shocks. The we we remove the nuts from the passenger side shackle top then the bottom. The top bolt came out with not problem but the bottom bolt was another story. After about and hour of messing with it trying to get it out. I ended up cutting the head of the bolt and replacing it with an different bolt.

The bolt would come out most of the way then seem to hang up. Once the head of the bolt was cut off we used a punch to try and drive it out the other way. And still had issues coming out. It seems that it was almost mushroomed on the smooth part of the bolt. Finally after putting the nut on it and using an impact guy and a pair of channe locks I got the bolt out.

The drive side was about a 15 minute removal and install.

So just wanted to give everyone a heads up that they might run into this problem when changing the shackles.

Did anyone else have a problem?

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Never had that problem but I did have problems removeing those bolts before because they rust to the inside of the bushing and have to be cut out like you diid then beat them out with a sledge hammer. I allways put anti seize on everything I take apart so I dont have any problems later on down the road.

Never had one mushroom tho?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am having problems on every bolt on the springs and mounts. So much that I am about to say F it and send the shackles back if I can. Air hammered out the bottom two but the top bolts are just as bad and no way to get the air hammer up there! Damn GM!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
PB blasting the hell out of them every day so maybe next week they will give in. The dealer said it would be 220 in labor plus parts, bolts and bushing. OUCH!!!

Cherry how exactly did you use the heat and did you have to replace the bushing after it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts