Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
the guy that always on
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally got my swap done and the experience was great. I wanted to create a one stop shop for info for anyone looking to do this. Maybe even see if we can get it stickied. This is a very viable option to get disk brakes in the rear.

Isuzu rodeo/Honda passport Dana 44

Pre 98. ( 97 and older) is 58" - 60" wms to wms ( wheel mounting surface) pending weather or not it had factory flares
Typical d44
Post 98 (98 and newer) is 63" wms to wms
Modified d44

4 cylinder drum brakes

6 cylinder disk brakes

They can be found with limited slip with 4:10-4:30 gears with disk brakes. Same hub bore size and bolt pattern.

For the lifted guys. If your going soa then you can use the stock drive shaft and the stock flange yoke on the Isuzu axle. If you NOT going soa then you will either need a shorter drive shaft or to change the you to a normal strap yoke.

This goes for all cab configurations

For the lowered guys. You either need a shorter drive shaft by about 2" or change the flange yoke to a normal strap yoke.

This is also for all cab configurations.

For my swap I used the flange yoke and an aluminum drive shaft out of a 2005 trailblazer 2wd with the inline 6. This shaft is about perfect and the slip yoke is the same as the Colorado. If you use this shaft your gonna need to grab a neapco 3-3130 conversion u joint. U joint sizes are 3r-1310

The brake lines have the same flare and same size and thread. They bolt up. The fittings are 10mm male inverted flare. This means you can use the good ridge brake line kit still with this swap. Although you would need to find the soft lines for the calipers in stainless braided to match. Also no abs issues and no need to add a propositioning valve as the abs will take care of that for you

For sua I set the leaf perches at a 3 degree upward angle. So with the pinion vertically level. Use an angle finder to set them at 3 degrees.

The brake hardline on the Isuzu axle meet on the passenger side. The Colorado meet on the driver side. To fix this I switched the lines around. Moved the short line from passenger to driver and the long line from driver to passenger. This puts the intersection with the flex line in the driver side. At which point you can bolt the Isuzu hardliners to the Colorado flex line.

Parking brake.
The parking brake will work just fine. Hook up was pretty simple. I'll post some more details on this when I get a chance

This is all I can think of for now but as I remember things I will add them. If anyone has any input post up and I will add to the original post.

Special thanks to @GeorgiaBoy @Undead Rado @Czkrebbs

·
Luv them hoochies
3,295 Posts
Re: Isuzu Dana 44 swap info spot

So how bad did this kill ur mpg
And how far does this make the axle stick out in back
And being a cc would I still need to get a different drive shaft and change the yolk

·
the guy that always on
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Well my first measure of mpg was around 13mpg. Mind you I was super heavy on the gas for the first tank. Previous was 16-19. All city. James tweaked my tune a little more so I'm waiting for more current numbers. I used the older axle which does not stick out. However I think it's a tad too narrow. The wheels look slightly sucked in and the caliper is bumping the frame a bit so I need to fix that.

·
Luv them hoochies
3,295 Posts

For the lowered guys. You either need a shorter drive shaft by about 2" or change the flange yoke to a normal strap yoke. For my swap I used the flange yoke and an aluminum drive shaft out of a 2005 trailblazer 2wd with the inline 6. This shaft is about perfect and the slip yoke is the same as the Colorado. If you use this shaft your gonna need to grab a neapco 3-3130 conversion u joint. U joint sizes are 3r-1310
This is why I asked I'm really interested in doing this especially if I can get disc brakes out of it
Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly

·
Luv them hoochies
3,295 Posts

For the lowered guys. You either need a shorter drive shaft by about 2" or change the flange yoke to a normal strap yoke. For my swap I used the flange yoke and an aluminum drive shaft out of a 2005 trailblazer 2wd with the inline 6. This shaft is about perfect and the slip yoke is the same as the Colorado. If you use this shaft your gonna need to grab a neapco 3-3130 conversion u joint. U joint sizes are 3r-1310
Maybe I'm just not reading it right that's why I'm asking about the drive shaft since I'm a cc

·
Premium Member
256 Posts

I have @GeorgiaBoy 's old rodeo axle now and have it soa. If anyone needs pictures or questions I can help some for the lifted guys. @Uncanny355 I still have the dana trac lock if you still need it.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts

@t-bone
With the SOA on my truck having a 2 piece shaft I didnt have any issues needing a longer shaft. I simply changed the rear u-joint and added an Isuzu yoke and bolted it right up to the axle. I gained a lot more torque being lifted and it made turning over those 33s a lot easier

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts

My 97 rodeo was 60" wms-wms. From what I found originally I think whether the vehicle had factory flares or not determined 58" or 60" on 97 and back. All 4 cyl drum and all 6 cyl disc. There was a really good page I had linked that showed all years, widths, gear ratios, etc, but it has been deleted.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

awesome thread. Is there anything special to getting the E-brakes to work on the 98+ isuzu rodeo D44 with disc brakes???

·
the guy that always on
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

awesome thread. Is there anything special to getting the E-brakes to work on the 98+ isuzu rodeo D44 with disc brakes???
That I have not delve into yet. I need to but larking brake shoes and hardware before I can even try so idk. Maybe @Trice or @GeorgiaBoy or @Undead Rado could answer that one

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts

Mine was a 97. Looked like it would have been pretty simple to do and the stock cables would have prolly worked but I never worried with it

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts

Yea I never bothered with cables since I live in Georgia and I have an auto so theres really no sense in it. Plus my driverside cable was pinched and I didn't feel like screwing with it to replace it

·
Premium Member
256 Posts

I never hooked up the e brake. I took the cables out from the truck. I have never used my ebrake since I have owned the truck so I figured it wouldn't be missed.

·
Registered
392 Posts

is there any issues when hooking up the abs and does it matter if you have the abs at the pumpkin or at the wheel hubs? Mine are on the hubs.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts