Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Isuzu Dana 44 swap info spot

is there any issues when hooking up the abs and does it matter if you have the abs at the pumpkin or at the wheel hubs? Mine are on the hubs.

Our trucks measure the abs off of the trans and the front wheel hubs so you can simply ignore the abs on the pumpkin of the isuzu axle. I will say in extreme cases however after I SOA my rearend the truck would sometimes kick in ABS when braking as I took a turn hard before I got tuned to correct the speedometer. It was off enough going from 3.73 to 4.30 the computer would pick it up sometimes

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Re: Isuzu Dana 44 swap info spot

I am amazed no one has bothered to hook up the e-brakes.... ges ill be one of the few lol

·
Registered
520 Posts

I agree. Not having the ebrake is annoying as hell. I should be working on this soon. Will update

Let me know how you go about this! I got my axle in the garage getting some time to get it cleaned up and in. The e brake will
Be my issue as well.

·
VrrroooooomWhooooosshhhht
722 Posts

I'll definitely need that parking brake info. Am I the only one here who rows to work??

Also, IIRC the zq8 models have different length axles (hub to hub), is that correct? I may be confusing it with z85s, just want to be sure I get the right width axle

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts

@Uncanny355 and @OJwerks, do you have an update on the e-brake situation? I'm about to be in the market for a Dana 44, and since I live in Virginia, I'll need the parking brake to work in order to pass state safety inspection.

Also @Uncanny355, due to your rubbing issue, it would be safe to say that a CC on a 2" drop needs to have the post 1998 Rodeo/Passport axle? How will I know the ratio when I do find an axle from a suitable donor vehicle?

Tagging @Undead Rado and @Trice for updates. Also @MOZ because he has an opinion about everything, and I want to hear it.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts

I don't think it would be hard to do. Mine was bought from a guy that did a junk yard pull and just snipped the cables. You might be able to use stock cables idk. I took out the drums and all hardware for the e brake and don't remember anything about it. Trucks been gone for a year now.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts

I don't have a parking brake. I was thinking of making up something up like how some aftermarket toyota units have a small disk mounted on the driveshift when it comes out the t case but since ours is a slip on shaft it would mean a custom shaft with a bolt together flange so I haven't looked alot more into it.

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)

@Uncanny355 and @OJwerks, do you have an update on the e-brake situation? I'm about to be in the market for a Dana 44, and since I live in Virginia, I'll need the parking brake to work in order to pass state safety inspection.

Also @Uncanny355, due to your rubbing issue, it would be safe to say that a CC on a 2" drop needs to have the post 1998 Rodeo/Passport axle? How will I know the ratio when I do find an axle from a suitable donor vehicle?

Tagging @Undead Rado and @Trice for updates. Also @MOZ because he has an opinion about everything, and I want to hear it.

They came in several widths depending on Configuration. Mine is the narrowest one. Just measure your axle first and you should be fine.

As for the ratio you should be able to find the tooth count stamped on a tag on one of the cover bolts. From there google that tooth count. Also of it has the limited in it it will typically have a second tag stamped about use friction modifiers.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts

Well my first measure of mpg was around 13mpg. Mind you I was super heavy on the gas for the first tank. Previous was 16-19. All city. James tweaked my tune a little more so I'm waiting for more current numbers. I used the older axle which does not stick out. However I think it's a tad too narrow. The wheels look slightly sucked in and the caliper is bumping the frame a bit so I need to fix that.
The caliper is bumping the frame with a 58" wide rodeo rearend? That over bumps, turning, or anytime it fleas side to side or what?

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

In very hard right corners the caliper hits the frame on the driver side only. The perches are slightly off center but with my new wheels the wheel has like 1" or less of clearance from the frame thus why I'm going to the wider one. The 58" axle would be best for plans to narrow frame.

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

I guess I'm gonna have to hook up my ebrake so I can add to this post what needs to be done. Gotta order some parts
I swapped in a newer axle out of a 2001 rodeo. I hooked up the parking brake. It was very easy. I drilled out the cable guide off the Isuzu axle so it was large enough for the Colorado cable to go thru. And the hooked it up. It works great but I need to adjust it.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts

I swapped in a newer axle out of a 2001 rodeo. I hooked up the parking brake. It was very easy. I drilled out the cable guide off the Isuzu axle so it was large enough for the Colorado cable to go thru. And the hooked it up. It works great but I need to adjust it.
thanks for that. I am glad someone was able to successfully get it put on. I just got the dreaded front brake squeal, so I have some Powerslot rotors and yellow pads in bound. I hope to get my Rodeo axle before the end of summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the forum. I just completed my dana 44HD swap. It was a great experience considering I've never done anything like this before. I would like to add to the information here, starting with my donor vehicle. It is an '02 Honda Passport EX with the v6. It had a dana 44HD with disc brakes, 4:10's and LSD and 63" wms to wms. My mistake was I didn't read the forum closely, specifically the part about z71 are 63" wide and the z85 (what I have) are roughly 60" wide. So I'll have to add some spacers in the front, not a problem. In the end it worked out having the HD 44 because I was able to use my stock drive shaft in combination with a normal ubolt yoke from a dana 60 instead of the stock flange yoke, and a 1310/1330 u joint from summit. Also I have 2" add-a-leafs so that might have helped.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As the owner of a CC Z85 looking to swap my rear end which currently is a 61 inch Wms to Wms, vrs the Z71 at 63 inches. The honda passport rear end I have located appears to be 63 inches as well. If Im upgrading to 18x8 extreme wheels would that rear end still fit? Why would you shim the front wheels outward?
Thanks
ryy1009

21 - 40 of 53 Posts