Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
As the owner of a CC Z85 looking to swap my rear end which currently is a 61 inch Wms to Wms, vrs the Z71 at 63 inches. The honda passport rear end I have located appears to be 63 inches as well. If Im upgrading to 18x8 extreme wheels would that rear end still fit? Why would you shim the front wheels outward?
Thanks
ryy1009

He's adding spacers so the front matches the rear. Before I pulled my bed sides my wheels stuck out like an inch and a half on both sides. If you have flares it will be less then that. Yes the axle will work for you if your OK with a little poke in the rear

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are the Chevy extreme box sides sheet metal flared differently or just have flares added to them? Are the extreme front ends spaced out to match their 63inch wide rear end's?

Ryy1009

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Looking for a little information on this conversion. I have an '04 Z85 which should be 61" across axle flanges. A '96-'97 6cyl Rodeo Dana 44 rear axle will be the same width and have disc brakes and is commonly available with a 4:30-1 gear. My questions are those brakes really adequate for hard use? Will they fit inside my stock 15" aluminum wheels? I know the 4cyl version of this axle has pretty weak & small drum brakes so I'm concerned the discs aren't much better. I do a lot of towing and mountain driving so need good brakes along with a low gear.
Finally in a Z85 is a different yoke and adapter u-joint required? Is driveshaft length (2 piece) OK or needs adjustment? What is "soa"? Any information will be helpful.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Ok, I just bought a complete 60" Isuzu Dana 44 axle with disc brakes, 4:30 gears, and limited slip. The down side its 150 miles away on the wrong side of a seriously snow covered mountain range and the up side it only cost $175. and a friend who lives near there will deliver it to me. So I want to get prepared. I hope someone can confirm the following. Remember this is an '04 Z85.
1. If I install a Dana 60 yoke with the adapter u-joint will the drive shaft fit as is?
2. Will my OEM 15" 5 spoke alloy wheels fit over the disc brakes? Really close OK 4 now.
3. Are any parts required to hook up the brake hydraulics?
4. Are any parts required to hook up the parking brake?
I have no problem moving the existing spring perches or fabricating new ones as necessary. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Ok, I just bought a complete 60" Isuzu Dana 44 axle with disc brakes, 4:30 gears, and limited slip. The down side its 150 miles away on the wrong side of a seriously snow covered mountain range and the up side it only cost $175. and a friend who lives near there will deliver it to me. So I want to get prepared. I hope someone can confirm the following. Remember this is an '04 Z85.
1. If I install a Dana 60 yoke with the adapter u-joint will the drive shaft fit as is?

YES SO LONG AS THE AXLE IS NEWER
THEN 98. IF IT'S OLDER THEN 98 YOU NEED A STANDARD DANA 44 YOKE

2. Will my OEM 15" 5 spoke alloy wheels fit over the disc brakes? Really close OK 4 now.

YES THEY WILL FIT

3. Are any parts required to hook up the brake hydraulics?

SWAP THE LINES ON THE ISUZU AXLE. DRIVER SIDE LINE TO PASSENGER AND PASSENGER LINE TO DRIVER. NO OTHER PARTS REQUIRED. YOU ALSO NEED TO TRANSFER THE LITTLE BRACKET THAT THE MIDDLE SOFT LINES BOLT TO.

4. Are any parts required to hook up the parking brake?

I DRILLED OUT THE ISUZU CABLE GUIDES AND HOOKED UP THE CABLE, ADJUST OUT THE SLACK AND YOUR GOOD TO GO

I have no problem moving the existing spring perches or fabricating new ones as necessary. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

answers to questions under each question

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
wow old thread. I have been looking into this swap recently. I drive an 04 Z85 crew cab with the 2 pice drive shaft and i am wondering. Has anyone looked at other axels? i noticed the isuzu amigo (or something like this) had 4.78 gears. I thought this might be better to have a little more mechanical advantage for my little 3.5 to turn my 33s

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just a note: in my recent journey to install a dana 44 I found that to get the axle to fit to a stock width by being Narrowed...no company offered narrowed axle shafts for this late model dana44. Due in part to the required retaining ring grooved that holds the inboard sealing surface in place.
I am now the proud owner of a Dana44 with 4.10:1 Track loc and disc brakes....that will now be shelved in place of a 2003 Ford Explore 8.8 My explorer rear end is 373 with an LS diff and 31 spline axles. It needs new leaf spring perches and the Chevy wheel bolt patterned drilling into the axle flanges. And 1/4 and 1/2 wheel spacers installed. The adventure continues.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Just a note: in my recent journey to install a dana 44 I found that to get the axle to fit to a stock width by being Narrowed...no company offered narrowed axle shafts for this late model dana44. Due in part to the required retaining ring grooved that holds the inboard sealing surface in place.
What? I don't understand this at all. What was the donor vehicle?

I am now the proud owner of a Dana44 with 4.10:1 Track loc and disc brakes....that will now be shelved in place of a 2003 Ford Explore 8.8 My explorer rear end is 373 with an LS diff and 31 spline axles. It needs new leaf spring perches and the Chevy wheel bolt patterned drilling into the axle flanges.
Because the Ford is a 5 bolt, right? What other years fit?

And 1/4 and 1/2 wheel spacers installed. The adventure continues.
Why do you need spacers? The Ford axle is too narrow?

·
Registered
106 Posts
What? I don't understand this at all. What was the donor vehicle?

The donor vehicle was a 99 Isuzu rodeo. The axle is 3 inches too wide and I want to run stock 18x8 extreme rims. No company will guarantee a respline, welded axle shafts or read heat treat.

I am now the proud owner of a Dana44 with 4.10:1 Track loc and disc brakes....that will now be shelved in place of a 2003 Ford Explore 8.8 My explorer rear end is 373 with an LS diff and 31 spline axles. It needs new leaf spring perches and the Chevy wheel bolt patterned drilling into the axle flanges.
Because the Ford is a 5 bolt, right? What other years fit? The 2003 explorer is 5 bolt. When I eventually do custom axle shafts no problem. But for now welded and drilled by local fab. shop.

And 1/4 and 1/2 wheel spacers installed. The adventure continues.
Why do you need spacers? The Ford axle is too narrow?
Yes the ford axle is 3/16" narrower on one side and 5/8" narrower on the other. I'm. Going to split the difference and add a 3/8 spacer to the narrowest side.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I have decided to forego the Dana 44 and go with a G80 with 4:10s out of a z71. For the sacrifice of disc brakes (which were always a gee-whiz feature, never a requirement (do you really NEED disc brakes?)), I still get a locking rear and lower gears while saving hundreds of dollars in fab work. I hope to have it in by NESM, but we'll see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry for bumping old thread but I just came across this while searching for a 4.10 swap.

trying to get some help with towing by going from 3.73 to 4.10

I have a 2009 colorado 4x4 ext cab 3.7l

if I’ve been reading this correctly I can use an Isuzu rear axle and have 4.10 gearing and disc brakes.

What year could I find this from? I’m not sure of my wsm. I don’t have a z71 so I’m assuming 60”?

I would still need to swap my front to 4.10 too correct?

This would be almost a direct swap but the driveshaft correct?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts