Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
yeah i had creep too with small wastegate, ended up with a 35 mm precision
Mine's not bad. It only starts to creep past 5000 rpm and most of it is past 5500 rpm. I did a little dremmel work to smooth out the I.D. of the wastegate flanges to match the I.D. of the tube and that seemed to help slightly.

We'll get to see how this thing does at the drag strip this weekend.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 · (Edited)
The truck did better than expected! Density Altitude was around 7000' for my best run. I ran a 14.46 @ 98.58 mph. I did get a 99.34 mph on another run. All of this was with a crappy 2.3 60'. I was running 9psi. There is a lot of room for improvement.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 · (Edited)
The truck is getting faster! On 10psi, I ran a 13.89 at 101. DA was 6176' and there was a headwind.

I built a ladder bar so I don't have to put on slapper bars when I go to the track. It's nice to have something that doesn't hang down so low or negatively affect handling.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
I didn't think AEM had enough options for nozzles so I found out what the thread was and found an adapter that had the correct threads- 7/16-20 on the AEM side and 1/8 npt on the other. Now I can run any nozzle using the AEM nozzle holder/check valve.
20190422_181922 by Jaymes English, on Flickr

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 · (Edited)
I did it again. [email protected] This time with the DA at 7600 ft and a headwind, again.

20190518_120941 by Jaymes English, on Flickr

I had to rebuild this turbo since it started leaking. I don't know its history since I got it used off ebay but it has all new parts except the housings. It seems to be happy.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I did it again. [email protected] This time with the DA at 7600 ft and a headwind, again.

20190518_120941 by Jaymes English, on Flickr

I had to rebuild this turbo since it started leaking. I don't know its history since I got it used off ebay but it has all new parts except the housings. It seems to be happy.
That's awesome. Nice work!

That's definitely a win if your traction bars stop wheel hop and don't make the truck ride stiff or handle funny. On mine, it would stand up in corners when I got on the throttle. Like the caltracs were fighting against the body roll. Pretty strange feeling.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 · (Edited)
While waiting to go to the track later this year once it cools down, I decided to try to maximize efficiency of the intake and clean up my turbo manifold a little.

The inlet/outlet on the intercooler had the rough casting and was ~2.1 inches I.D., which probably has more than enough flow capacity for my power level/goals, but there is a step going into and out of it with my 2.5'' tube which I didn't like. I bored it out a little and did a small bellmouth on the inlet and outlet to smooth the transition between the tubing.

Next I decided to the the same for the compressor outlet. It was ~2.2-2.3 inches I.D. and the tube connecting to it is 2.5''. It had some pretty rough casting flaws so I smoothed that out as far into it as I could. Then I did the compressor inlet. I just bellmouthed that. After that I just smoothed the turbine inlet from the casting flaws. I didn't bore that out at all since it already matched the flange. I did not touch where the blades on both wheels need to have a tight tolerance.

On the turbo manifold I cleaned up the inlets and did a little work where the primaries merge together. It could be a little better still.

With all of this work I did notice it spools slightly faster and it feels like it pulls a little harder. Maybe its a placebo. I didn't really expect it to make more power. It's also been hot here. I'm looking forward to see how it performs in cooler weather. One thing I never really tried before but I notice it makes positive pressure in neutral. I can get almost 5psi near redline. I did a little test (not very scientific) on spool in 5th gear as well and noticed that I start to get positive pressure at ~1600rpm while not flooring it.

I also made some ducting into my intercooler. I don't have any before and after data. The ducting is super short so I'm not sure it will make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
It's been a while since I've posted. In 2020, the track closed for a year so I couldn't do any testing. I just went to the track this past weekend and ran a 13.15 @ 107.3mph. DA was in the low 6000' range. I'll probably get into the 12s once I figure out launching and when it cools back off.

·
2 timer
1,539 Posts
Congrats!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Jaymes! That is awesome! For sure the first 2.9 in the 12s. How much boost are you running again?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 · (Edited)
Thank you! I am running ~14-14.5 psi currently.

A few updates I did do to the truck is I found a plug and play (with the correct changes in hptuners) 2.5 bar map sensor. PN: 12592525
Now I can read and log boost in hptuners.
And I also relocated the IAT sensor downstream of the water/meth injection so I can see the temp drop. I used a breakout harness and a fast response IAT sensor.

Receipt Font Material property Paper Document
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 · (Edited)
I finally put the truck on a dyno.

Pull was done in 4th (1:1)

It made 346RWHP/391TQ uncorrected at 15psi.

On another note, I went to the track the next day to try to get a better time since it has mid-12s in it (didn't happen, spun some in 1st and 2nd, and the top end was a little rich and wasn't pulling as hard, need to check plugs, so I only could get a 12.9 at 108.75). Anyway, I found out that relocating the IAT sensor and setting up a more aggressive timing retard to intake temp works well to save the engine. During one of my runs the line popped out of the meth nozzle. In the log it looked like at the end of 2nd / going into 3rd is when it popped out because of the temp increase. Thinking I had not pushed the line in the quick connect all the way I plugged it back in did another run. Looking at the log I never got a temp drop and when I opened the hood the line wasn't connected to the nozzle. I did an entire pass at 14 psi with no meth injection. Thank goodness for knock retard and pulling timing due to intake temps. Now I need to investigate why that nylon line kept popping out. I used some ptfe pipe tape wrapped around everything to keep it together for a few more passes.[/youtube][/youtube]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jaymes, new to the forums but heavily relied on this post through my build! I was curious if you would share your plug type and gap? I have an 08 Colorado 2.9 on 10 psi. 0-8ish psi it does fine, but once it hit upwards of 10psi it starts cutting out. I assume my plugs of choice are the culprit. Thanks in advance!

161 - 180 of 190 Posts