Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposedly, something in the works that is solely for GMC.

New Flagship Jeep Wrangler Rival

I'd like to see a good offroad suv come out of GMC, but a Wrangler rival? Nnnnnnnnnoo. Sorry but nothing can rival the Wrangler, don't even try to tell me otherwise! Quote, "High-end SUVs with a focus on off-roading", so GMC wants to be. . . . . Land Rover?

·
Registered
220 Posts
The issue will be pricing. People don't buy the Wrangler for luxury, so GMC will miss the mark if they go that route. I honestly don't get why they'd want to enter such a small market where the competition has been established since the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
^This. Good luck getting Jeep people to buy anything but a Jeep. They are already expensive. My buddy just bought a '14 Wrangler. No power windows,/locks, soft top, and its extremely underpowered IMO. Still cost $34k.

Not to mention that Toyota just nixed the FJ for the US market this year. That could be a good or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

What GM needs to do, is put out lower end performance cars. Sporty Silverados/Colorados. Put the 6.2 in a RCSB low option truck. Boosted sport compacts that actually have some balls. Put a 2.0 Turbo in an AWD Sonic/Cruze. Stuff like that.

Quit focusing on this crap that no one wants or cant afford.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Why would they say its competition against a wrangler?

Thats closer to a k5 or a hummer.

They are fucking retarted.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
in the past decades, GM took a big part of the serious off-road market cake by introducing the humvee/hummer, but then jeep hit back taking part on the luxury SUV by introducing the grand cherokees and SRT´s.... so looks like GM is trying to strike back!

interesting.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GM took a big part of the serious off-road market cake by introducing the humvee/hummer
Wannabe off-road market maybe!! I have never seen a h1, h2 or h3 out wheeling in abq. Everytime I see them around town they scream bought not built!

Good luck getting Jeep people to buy anything but a Jeep.
Heck yeah. I love my WJ, even if it is not a Wrangler I will never buy anything else!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
This says it all:

"However, he noted that the powers that be at GM are simply brainstorming ideas for GMC, and there are no concrete plans to add models to the lineup at the moment."

I understand that the Jeep market would be a tough one to break into, but it is such a big market, that it seems crazy to let Jeep have it all without any competition.

To compete with the Wrangler, you really just need a few things. Solid axle front and rear, manual transfer case, and a decent price point. That's all really, most other things can be overcome, but as soon as you go to IFS, a lot of people will lose interest I believe.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Theres a ton of offroad suvs/competition with wrangler.

Remember, the JK is more like a minivan with sfa than it is any previous wrangler/CJ.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeep has been throwing lots of ideas around for when they bring out a new wrangler. Emissions and regulations have them talking about unibodies, aluminum, and IFS and/or IRS. This is all heresy to any Jeep owner, and I'd hate to see it go this way also.

If GMC comes out with anything it definitely will have IFS, only two SUVs on the market still have a solid front axle; the Wrangler and the Mercedes G-wagon. This is mostly due to heritage above anything. Tougher regs will see the end of solid front axles soon though

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Theres a ton of offroad suvs/competition with wrangler.
Really? Most times I go off road, unless it is a 355 event, Jeeps outnumber everything else by about 8:1.

What 2014 - 2015 models would you consider competition, other than the Toyota 4 Runner, and the aging Nissan Xterra?

·
Registered
220 Posts
GMC head honcho has said he wants a GMC-exclusive vehicle, so I'm sure this is just a thought for one. Personally, I think they need a new BOF mid-sized SUV based on the new Canyon.

BRING BACK THE ENVOY!!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Personally, I think they need a new BOF mid-sized SUV based on the new Canyon.

BRING BACK THE ENVOY!!!
That is far more plausible than than a vehicle to compete with the Wrangler.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What 2014 - 2015 models would you consider competition, other than the Toyota 4 Runner, and the aging Nissan Xterra?
Toyota Fake Jeep, other than that not much. The SUV off road market is easily Jeep heavy, with all sorts of Wranglers, XJs, and even occasional ZJ/WJs. The off road pickup market is more diverse. The only Jeeps you see there will be pretty old. Unless you come across that one guy that blew 100K on a Brute!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Toyota Fake Jeep, other than that not much.
2014 is the last model year for those too. There was a fair bit of overlap with the 4 Runner, so I'm sure that played a big part in killing off the FJ.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Take the old plans for the H3......regroup and build something HUMMER capable on cheap jeep budget....done

·
Registered
641 Posts
To compete with the Wrangler, you really just need a few things. Solid axle front and rear, manual transfer case, and a decent price point. That's all really, most other things can be overcome, but as soon as you go to IFS, a lot of people will lose interest I believe.
I couldn't agree more. It's really not that complicated. Look at how hard Ford tried with the Raptor and it still gets beat by the Ram Powerwagon in every offroad situation except for 60mph desert whoops.

The Chrysler group seems to have the offroad formula down to a science: solid axles, locking diffs, disconnecting swaybars, and flexible suspension.

GM's version will no doubt have independent suspension and a frame that nearly drags the ground. People will take a look at it, have a good laugh, and go buy a Wrangler.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GM's version will no doubt have independent suspension and a frame that nearly drags the ground. People will take a look at it, have a good laugh, and go buy a Wrangler.
I know I would. With all the legal garbage going on GMC can't make a true Wrangler fighter

·
Registered
208 Posts
even if they made a mid sized pick up with a solid front axle, it would do a lot better off road. also it would leave a lot more room for modification. you rarely see a stock jk ACTUALLY wheeling

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
I went to a Wrangler but man I miss my blue GMC...maybe just not enough done to the Jeep yet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts