Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Jeeporado

4K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  gway 
#1 ·
I've currently got a 2wd Z85. I'm going to be needing a 4wd eventually, so it's either sell my truck or do a SAS. Since I've got the coil spring front suspension, I was wondering if the front axle, springs, and suspension links from a WJ Grand Cherokee could be grafted onto my Colorado. I believe the axles are close in width. I realize the Dana 30 is tiny, but I'm not looking for a big lift and big tires. Stock appearing would be fine with me.

I would also swap in the WJ rear axle to gain disk brakes and keep the lug patterns the same.

Anyone thought through this swap before?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
You might be right. However, my base model Colorado isn't worth more than $5,000 with or without the turbo. I can buy a running and driving donor WJ for around $3,000 and part out the unused components.

The WJ track width is 59.5" and I believe my Colorado's track is 57.5". Both use heavily offset wheels... I bet the axles are dang close in width. The Jeep's coil springs are probably spaced closer than mine due to it's lack of a frame.

I'm not familiar with the transfer case situation. I didn't realize I'd need an adaptor. The WJ uses an NV 242. Since I'm adapting it anyway, perhaps I could use that? (Forgive the stupid questions... I'm a noob to 4wd drivetrains).

Anyway, I had a WJ a few years ago and loved the ride quality of the coil spring / link suspension offroad. However, I also like the power and mileage of my 4cyl Colorado. That got the gears turning in my head.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you have a ton of research and questions ahead of you
Ain't that the truth!

The fabrication involved doesn't bother me at all. It's the details regarding compatibility of components that starts to muddle my mind.

Sounds like the first step is to crawl under a WJ with a tape measure. I probably should have done that before I started a thread.

At least you guys have gone easy on me so far... Thanks for that.

Discussion starter · #7 · (Edited)
I had the WJ in mind for these reasons:

1) They're new enough that all the components should be in working order without the need for rebuilding (and no rust)

2) They're cheap compared to a Wrangler

3) Good sized disk brakes on all four corners

4) Similar track width to the Colorado

5) Coil springs all the way around

6) Lots of aftermarket parts available for both axles

I couldn't think of another vehicle that gave me the complete package. Like I said though, I need to take some measurements. If the coils run right into my frame and couldn't be relocated easily, or if the axles are just too narrow, it might not be worth pursuing.

Regarding ride height: I think I'll end up at least a few inches higher than a stock Z71 in the front no matter what I do. Our front ends were definitely not designed with a straight axle in mind.

PM sent about that T Case.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
I get what you're saying, and you're right in a way. I can go everywhere I want to go on the highway with my current setup.

However, at least once a year I drive in to one of the most remote areas in central Idaho to hunt elk. This is late October and around 9000ft elevation. There's always a good chance of having to buck a foot of snow for 20 miles on this little mining road as it weaves along shear cliffs.

The usual group of vehicles that make the trip are 3/4 ton diesels. Everybody carries chains. The year I took my WJ up there, everybody had to chain up except for me.

I've got a Truetrac at the moment. I agree that a good diff makes a big difference.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
I like where this is going.. haha, having been a WJ owner my self, I understand where your coming from... WJ's have a nice ride on and off road... and those axles should hold up fine with 33" tires, if you were planning on going with 35"+ then Id say look else where for axles.
That was my experience too. Once you disconnect the swaybars they ride so smooth over the nastiest terrain.

Another place where 4wd is nice is while driving fast on gravel and dirt roads. I'm talking over 75mph for miles at a time. There's nothing like having those front tires pull you around corners. I grew up in the desert on a farm out in the middle of nowhere. No cops + gravel roads + being a teenager = frequent trips into the triple digits on gravel.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
I've done it in numerous vehicles. Some had straight axles, some didn't. What's the difference?

Discussion starter · #18 ·
I guess I should clarify... That's not why I'm looking into doing the sas on the Colorado. I was just giving another example of when 4wd > 2wd.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
I've pretty much been offroading my whole life. A 2wd will get stuck about twice as fast as a 4wd. And when the 4wds get to a place where they need to chain up, you'll find the 2wd about 10 miles down the mountain waiting to be pulled out of the snow.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Well, I think the 4wd project is on hold for a while. I'm going to see if I can get this thing to run 12s first. I might look into 4wd again after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.