Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I will start to tow a 4000lbs travel trailer next summer, so I'm looking to add a transmission cooler to my 08 Z71 3.7L.

Does anyone have tried the Jegs automatic transmission coolers 555-60351 or 555-60353.

Here's the link: JEGS Automatic Transmission Coolers and Lines - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Since they are not rated in BTU or GVW, I can't compare their performances with the other "regular" coolers.
So, does anyone have tried these or have more info about this type of cooler?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Hi,

I will start to tow a 4000lbs travel trailer next summer, so I'm looking to add a transmission cooler to my 08 Z71 3.7L.

Does anyone have tried the Jegs automatic transmission coolers 555-60351 or 555-60353.

Here's the link: JEGS Automatic Transmission Coolers and Lines - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Since they are not rated in BTU or GVW, I can't compare their performances with the other "regular" coolers.
Thanks.

It looks pretty wicked but the the B&M plain style ones seem to work fine for us.

·
Registered
424 Posts
B&M #70264. There's plenty of room to install a much more efficient cooler. Go to a car dealer and look thru the grille on p/u's on the lot that have a tow pkg. U r not going to see one of those dinky frame rail type coolers but rather a stacked plate cooler like the B&M.

http://www.jegs.com/i/B&M/130/70264/10002/-1

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree stick with the B&M tranny cooler. I tow a 3000 pound dry travel trailer and it works very well at keeping the temps down. I went with the biggest I could fit.

Good luck with towing a 4000 pound travel trailer

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hi,

Thanks.
That Sir is a heat sink. If you look at my thread #757, #759 you'll see thr derale heat sink. I have it plumb after the trans cooler to take out whatever heat that might be left before it enters the tranny.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
B&M #70264. There's plenty of room to install a much more efficient cooler. Go to a car dealer and look thru the grille on p/u's on the lot that have a tow pkg. U r not going to see one of those dinky frame rail type coolers but rather a stacked plate cooler like the B&M.

B&M 70264 B&M SuperCooler Transmission Coolers - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS
I agree with most of you on the [email protected] products and coolers. The #70264 is a 14,400 btu trans cooler. Most on the Nation probably have the [email protected] Supercooler which is part # 70274, rated at 29,200 btu. Better. But our best bet is for the tru cool (made in canada) #4739- mild winters or the #4739- cold winters with a bypass so the tranny can warm up. It's rated at 45,000 btus with a low pressure drop. Cost is slightly more , but whats the cost of replacing a burnt tranny. Most of our big brothers Sierra, Denali, Avalanche will run these coolers. And always (ALWAYS) run the trans line through the radiator cooler. Which cools best of all. Again the Tru- Cool can be seen on my thread #757, #759.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I suggested the #70264 simply because it cost about the same as the cooler the OP had linked and is more efficient than the unit the OP linked.

After doing a search for TruCool #70274, this is the only thread that came up for a #70274 so if most of the Nation are using a #70274, they're not referencing to it, so I kinda wonder they are. Search revealed only one other thread, but all it said was TruCool....no reference to #70274.

The #70274 size wise is most likely overkill and the 1/2" plumbing/fittings on the #70274 to OE 3/8" fluid lines can get a little complicated for the average Joe. It certainly has a larger footprint than the #70264, thus blocking more air flow to the condenser/radiator. Let's face it, even the V8 355 only has a max tow rating of 6K lbs (even less for the I4/I5) and that's with the factory "tow pkg" which does not include a factory installed auxiliary tranny cooler. The B&M #70264 also has a GVWR of 24K lbs, thus making the #70264 in itself overkill for the 355. Either way, an auxiliary tranny cooler is not the limiting factor regarding max tow rating for the 355.

Both TruCool and B&M are subs of LONG Mfg. and LONG is a sub of DANA. The B&M #70264 has LONG plainly stamped on it's mounting flang. The B&M #70264 also has a fluid bypass for quick tranny fluid warm-up and it is a low pressure drop design, just like the TruCool.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
if your going to do this do it right the first time
spin on filter

b&m cooler its back there

and it really helps to know just how hot of cold the trans temp is
most time its 155-170 just depends how the out side temp is

coldest was 80 it was fucking cold out side
hottest was 200 out mudding in the woods no wind as soon as we got going temp fell fast

also for towing its best to get servos

·
Registered
424 Posts
To be clear and not confuse the OP or anyone else, not installing a auxiliary filter does not mean installing a auxiliary cooler without a auxiliary filter is wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the replies.
I'll go with a regular one, might get the Hayden OC-1678 which is rated 24,000GWV vs the B&M at 14,400.

However which one I will choose, should I install a cold wheater by-pass? Sometimes it's pretty cold here during winter (-20F).
Is there any other by-pass than the tru-cool 708-4739?

·
Registered
262 Posts
If I were you get the one with the bypass. I live in vancouver where it does not get to cold. But the few times where it did hit -10 or lower it took a long time for the tranny to warm up. I just let the truck idle a bit longer to help. This is the one I am using and so far has proved to work very well while towing my travel trailer. Universal SuperCooler - 20,500BTU rated - 11"x8"x1-1/2"

Just wondering what trailer you are looking at getting. Remember to tow in third gear. And maybe add a set of air bags to help you out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The cooler you referenced will not take enough heat out. I tow a heavy camper, and to set things up tow I swapped the radiator out for a V8 rad. and a 29,000btu cooler with an efan from James. I see normal trans run temps of 160 with spikes of 190 with this setup. The original rad had a 4 plate cooler in it, and the V8 has 5 plates for even extra cooling
I also added 2 leafs to the rear springs and 2500lb coil overloads.
Its not so much the camper weight, its the wind resistance from the high frontal area that will get you

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thank you all for the replies.
I'll go with a regular one, might get the Hayden OC-1678 which is rated 24,000GWV vs the B&M at 14,400.

However which one I will choose, should I install a cold wheater by-pass? Sometimes it's pretty cold here during winter (-20F).
Is there any other by-pass than the tru-cool 708-4739?
U r comparing 2 different numbers......BTU and GVWR. The B&M 70264 has 14,400 BTU rating and a 24K GVWR. Re-read the last sentence in the last paragraph of post #9.

Adding a auxiliary tranny cooler is not going to allow u to tow heavier than the factory tow rating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts