Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I should start a thread for this build im doing its a 2004 2wd canyon I bought it from a Hispanic guy from Florida for $500 rust free has 22" wheels and maybe air suspension on it. If I remember right there was a sticker for a junk yard deliver truck on the tailgate but ill have to see when I bring it into the shop. It's been in storage since fall.

The intentions are to make this a 5.3 4l80e turbo truck. So far ive just been gathering parts and going through the motor. I have a very detailed spreadsheet if anyone is interested i can share with. It's not the cheapest build but i believe in putting money where it counts. I'm also getting married this summer so buying parts and time are not on my side lol. This is my first turbo build. Ive always built fbodys in the past and after 2 car accidents and 3 car rebuilds from insurance buy backs Ive pretty much lost interested in them hopefully a new project will help with that!

Ill post some pictures of where im at for now and update as I go. Let me know if you guys have and questions or things I'm missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the 2004 5.3 nice and rusty and yes that is a dead bird in the intake runner... Also a picture with the turbo log. And how the engine sits now. New sloppy stage 2 cam, pac valve springs. Trunion upgrade to the rocker arms. ls6 valley cover. Have decapped flex fuel injectors. Timing cover with oil drain bug welded on. ls2 knock sensors mounted. new tbss air intake. Ls2 water pump not sure if ill end up using it but well see if the extra space will be need then ill probobly buy water pump spacers to correct the pulley alignment. Just need to get the truck in to the shop one of these days now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I will follow this build. Keep me posted.
Thank you,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still havn't got the truck to the shop been working on the camaro some and mostly dealing with wedding crap thats coming up. Got the interior panels and stuff installed lastnight and put new o2 sensor in. The one wasn't very active. Still doesn't really run that great tends to almost stall out when shifting into 1st gear. I did install the ls2 knock sensors on the engine not quite sure if they need to be in a specific location but I reamed one of them out to use and existing hole and found a spot for the other one without so we'll see how that works out when the times comes i can post a couple pics later then you guys can judge lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked up a 4l80e trans last night local after work. Idk about where you guys live but it took about half a year of searching around the state of MN for a decent priced 4l80e 2wd and or they sell very quickly. This one i got has 120k..? and picked it up for $500. Thats about what ive been seeing them go for around here. Im getting really close to having everything i need to start working on the swap.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brought in the Canyon to start the swap. Still need to buy some random parts here and there,TC, turbo kit but I should be able to do the majority of the build with what i have now from my list. Dropped the Camaro off this weekend to get tuned. Be nice to have 1 "fun" car to be drive able at least.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled motor and trans last night. Went pretty quick for the most part. If anyone is interested in a questionable 2.8 and 5spd trans just sitting in my truck till I get rid of them. May mock the 5.3 and see if it fits as good as everyone says it does tonight. Otherwise BFH anything in the way. Then unwind this CP harness and see how straight forward that is.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jumped right into working on the truck after work yesterday. Started by removing 3 of the broken exhaust bolts off. Then spent the rest of the night fighting installing the engine I bought used motor mounts and I found out the hard way that it did in fact matter which direction the rubber poly mounts. That dictated which way the engine tilted into place. Not sure if the new ones are perfectly concentric or not or just by the way they were previously used.. At any rate got both bolts to slide in place. I will have to go back and chop the corners off the bracket the bolt heads interfere with the flange on the truck side of the bracket. I cut the one as I was installing but didn't see the drive side till after. Also that fact the engine is off center in the engine bay. ill show a pictures below.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took out the engine and put a chamfer on all the motor mounts so I had adjustability with the engine along the slots to center it with the truck. At the same time I gave a “gentle” massage to fit the turbo manifold in. I put the power steering pump on just to see how bad the routing of the line would be and it’s as bad as everyone says it is. It would work though just not pretty lol. Not real sure what I want to work on next. I really like to have the turbo kit and TC to continue..

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FedEx guy delivered the hooker exhaust manifold Saturday morning as I was painting all the accessories to the front of the motor. So I had to test fit it right away and of course dropped it in and rubs on the motor mount ears so figured I’d attempt to trim away some extra unneeded material. After the2 cuts close to the poly mounts its fits! Super close but it does fit. Wraps around the engine great and lots of room from the steering shaft. Not sure if these are just the older motor mount adapters from CP but they’ve kind of been a pain to work with. The exhaust manifold I used are the Hooker 8511HKR.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stumbled across a full turbo kit out a Colorado the other day. Just happened to only live 2 hours away from me. Good thing I have free returns on the hooker manifold on the drivers side the v8 canyon one fits a little better. Just have to sell the fahler manifold now. Turbo included full hot side, cold side, and turbo will save me many many hours of fab work.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did a little work on the truck Saturday morning. Started with mount the PCM and TCM. Then I removing the fender well and cutting out "some" of the fender for the turbo to fit. Then installed spark plugs. Then installed manifolds with new gaskets Ive had laying around since 2013 apparently lol. Next I cut the lines for fitting the adapters for the power steering lines to fit I found the fitting on fassterllc on ebay 3/8" Tube To Male -6 AN Adapter. It seems like it will work quite well actually. I used a JIC hose with 1 90 degree on the pump side think 9" long..

I tried seeing if I could get the intake manifold to fit but im going to have to get the trans mounted with a cross member to level out the engine first. So I think thats my next task is to order some an lines for the trans and get that all mocked up. Then ill BFH or cut anything behind the intake lol My other though is what ill do with spark plug wires the passanger side ones i got are to long. Might have to relocate the coils.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Havn't done to much since I bought that whole turbo kit. VSR 80mm The whole setup can be seen on youtube from fabbot fabrication. I cut the hole for the turbo to fit. Probably some day make a plate to cover it up. Since I found that whole kit I need to reevaluate my build. I initially had 90lb injectors but with this turbo I will need more. So with still needing to get a torque converter and injectors. The build will slow down for a little bit maybe black friday!? It's almost winter here anyways.

I did post the Camaro up forsale just think I'm ready to move on. Ive owned so many and been in to many car accidents. Needless to say this one may be a little to nice for me with my history.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Still drooling about your ability to move forward with your build. Sort of wishing I was a few years younger. You sir, are inspiring to me. Still following your build.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still drooling about your ability to move forward with your build. Sort of wishing I was a few years younger. You sir, are inspiring to me. Still following your build.
That's funny I say the same thing about other people builds! I dread alot when i get home from work after a 10 hour day. But usually with a little wisky gets me going some haha. Trust me I feel it the older I get and just try to do these type of builds will I still can.

I'm glad you like the progress and the build! Hope I can share some experience to make life easier for others! Ive always built cars and did everything the "perfect way" I love working on this truck the perfect engine bay height where your back doesn't kill later. Also the fact I paid $500 dollars for it makes it easier to cut a hole for the turbo or take a bfh to it too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a couple parts over the last week. Need to start installing things on it though! 4l80e flexplate, u joint adapter to the 4l80e yoke. Looks like alot of people use the stock driveshaft and works fine... We shall see! Also got a TCI center console/shifter. Seems like it will fit nicely just have to figure out a way to make it look nice inside. Also I forgot where I saw it but I got some spark plug wires from a 2009 impala they come in short and long sections will work good for going around the manifolds. Is it black Friday yet!?! Need injectors and a TC! Think ill just use the stock one to mock everything for now so I can move forward with the build.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Made a sheet to mount the shifter to. This truck was originally a manual so my reason for having to do this. I think I'm going to cut around the original cup holder to fill in the gaps where theirs no leather and the fact it would suck not having a spot to set my beer. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a couple hours to work on the truck Saturday morning. Cutout out around the original 5 spd shifter console to mold around the TCI one I installed. Its clean enough and has cup holders so that'll be nice. Changed out the filter on the trans and put on the the brackets for the shifter cable to attach to. Wait to order a new TC and hope the trans is fine. Just bought it as the kid said it "worked" so we'll see eventually.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got some more parts the other day, new trans bolts cause who knows where else I have a full set around. Got some of the fitting for the oil feed line I chose this way because Ive herd people complain about the oil sensor route making an inaccurate reading on the gauge. Got some plug wire heat boots. for around the turbo manifold. I also spent about an hour cutting to fit the intercooler in. It's just sitting in there now but that was the hard part.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts