Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished cleaning my MAF sensor, didnt look like anything was on it but hey i've never done it in over 73k miles so i figured it was time. :)

Took out the sensor off the intake and sprayed down the elements with MAF sensor cleaner and let it dry. Started the truck to make sure I didn't mess up the MAF sensor and everything was good...

Then i took it a step further and removed the intake and sprayed some intake/throttle body cleaner in the throttle body, while opening and closing the throttle plate and then I let it sit for about 2 mins. Then used a clean old t-shirt and wiped out quite a bit of black build-up.

Re-assembled the intake and tightened everything up checking for any snags or things I could have missed.

Went into the truck and gave it a start... truck took about 10 turns and burbled at first but then came to life and sounded nice and healthy. Got a nice little poof out the exhaust tips to. :)

Anyone else do this? :D

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah you'll see a bigger difference cleaning the throttle body/plate and air intake. Anyone do a writeup on that?

·
0 Posts
I did that too...mc did the write up though...

There wasn't much buildup on my tb so the difference wasn't that great...idle was a bit smoother but as far as ass dyno, didn't notice much...

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it's just maintenence stuff. I love how my MAF sensor bottle said 4-10hp gain AT THE WHEELS. I :lol:'ed at that

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I did mine a month or two ago and noticed a difference. I had a hell of a time finding the special MAF cleaner though. Finally found it at Pep Boys.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did mine a month or two ago and noticed a difference. I had a hell of a time finding the special MAF cleaner though. Finally found it at Pep Boys.
Funny I found it at the first autozone I went to :econo:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
That was the first place I looked, they even had CRC products so I was stumped when I couldn't find it. Maybe they were just out of stock. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Electrical Contact Cleaner will clean the MAF safely also.

Make sure to unclip and clean the evap port/line that goes to the throttle body also. I missed it the first time I cleaned the throttle body (on the truck) and man it was caked when I cleaned the throttle body next time(off the truck).

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what happens if I but a breather on that vent and plug the hole on the intake tube, insted of using the vent hose?

I'd assume it wouldnt work right..

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
So the dude that asked on the other places got flamed - how do I unclip the line on the throttlebody? I cleaned it recently without removing it - didn't want to break the clip that holds it on.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unclip it? I clean my throttle body while still on the truck so the excess cleaner will go into the manifold and clean up some of the gunk in there

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
All you have to do is push on the clip to "unlock it" and pull the line off.

When you take the throttle body off the truck, you are able to physically get into the intake manifold and clean out all the oil deposited in there.

Night and day difference between cleaning it on or off the truck, IMO. Use your own discretion as I am merely offering suggestions and sharing what I have done.

:355:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I think it tells you how to properly remove the stuff connected to the throttle body in the "How-to" on cleaning the TB. I didn't know how to remove them either, I was afraid to try. Big clumsy fingers = broken plastic clips. I'll give it a shot this week sometime after I read the how-to again.

edit: Yeah, it even has piktars. Go MC! :D

http://forum.355nation.net/showthread.php?t=109

First the hose. Push the lever on the clip up, and pull the hose off of the fitment on the side of the throttle body. Next, for the plug, push the grey part of the purple/black clip in and slide it back towards you, it will slide right out. Where the grey piece was, there should now be a black push tab. Push this in and the plug will pull right off the throttle body. Don't be afraid to use a little force.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
So the dude that asked on the other places got flamed - how do I unclip the line on the throttlebody? I cleaned it recently without removing it - didn't want to break the clip that holds it on.

Lol wasn't that me who flamed em lol?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts