Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Thats a tough question bro. But I know theres a guy who ran a 125 wet shot kit that eventually broke the tranny. But im sure the engine survived.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well my LT1 would take a 100 shot all day long with no problems but that motor was built for abuse. im not to sure about these I5s

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
The bone stock LT1s at UTI when i attended had a 125 shot and were used and abused on the dyon twice a day making 360hp runs each. Poor pistons lol.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a tough question bro. But I know theres a guy who ran a 125 wet shot kit that eventually broke the tranny. But im sure the engine survived.
speaking of trannys will our trannys bolt on to the gen 1 blocks i.e. l98s or just the gen 2s i.e. LT1, Ls1s. Reason being, if this fiver blows im dropping my 350 out of my racecar into it and dont want to really swap trannys but i guess i would have to cause its computer controlled crap. I HATE computer controlled vehicals by the way.

Rant...

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
There's no way to tell until someone blows one up from pushing it too far. Nobody has done it yet. All the trucks I've seen that were blown up were from bad tuning or abuse. The top ring lands on our pistons are a little thin, so tuning will need to be spot on. Any detonation under spray will break that ring land quickly. I would think 125 would be close to the limit for a normal wet nitrous setup, but you may be able to go a little higher with a progressive shot. Our engines have decent forged powdered metal rods and while they only have 2 bolt mains they have a nice main girdle that should keep things from moving around. I think the pistons will be the weakest link once people really start pushing the limits.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
that sounds about right to me. I wouldn't push any more than 25 hp per cylinder into there. That's a 200 shot on a V8.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bringing this back... I want nitrous and i know the texascolorado guy is spraying. How much is he spraying? is it wet or dry? I was thinking of just a dry shot through the TB spacer since thats the only thing its good for. Chime in with any knowledge.:355:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
If our stock injectors are struggling to keep up with mildly modded engines I can't imagine them being able to adequately supply any kind of dry shot. It's just not worth the risk IMO, I wouldn't do it under any circumstances.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
If our stock injectors are struggling to keep up with mildly modded engines I can't imagine them being able to adequately supply any kind of dry shot. It's just not worth the risk IMO, I wouldn't do it under any circumstances.
On a 04-05 you may be able to get away with it because most dry kit raise the fuel pressure to supply more fuel. But as with you, I wouldn't recommend it.

On a 06+ definitely need to go with a wet kit.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I guess I forgot about raising fuel pressure to compensate, still not something I would consider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts