Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the heatshield its secure, all clamps are tight and secure, filter has been freshly recharged. there is a high pitch rattle at 1800 rpms through every shift. If ur traveling slow like me, sometimes you'll stay in that rpm range for a good lil while, and its so loud that other traffic can here it. Theres no way that its the normal breathing sound from the filter. Almost sounds like a Heatshield to be honest. Also this only happens while driving, if in park and reved it won't do it at all. any ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's not the heat shield?

hmmm...check the bolts securing the bracket from the block to the intake pipe?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for cleaning ^^^^^ that up. but uh yeah MC i i checked the heatshield around the filter it is completely secure theres no way thats what is making the noise... i've even started to wonder if it could be a heatshield under the truck, but i swear it sounds like its coming from the right front intake area.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i can hear my cat rattle once in awhile.. like the shiedl around the cat rattles .. u could check that

·
0 Posts
check the heat shield on the manifold too, mine used to rattle around 2300 rpm but it fixed when I had to take it off to gut the cat...after I put it back on the noise quit.

Edit, I think there was a TSB for the manifold shield rattle...I think...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for cleaning ^^^^^ that up. but uh yeah MC i i checked the heatshield around the filter it is completely secure theres no way thats what is making the noise... i've even started to wonder if it could be a heatshield under the truck, but i swear it sounds like its coming from the right front intake area.
Ah! Ya know what...mine makes the same damn noise...and, I believe it's from the fan shroud area...something's loose in there. It'll probably go away when I do the e-fan mod, but, if it doesn't...:shrug:

It gets worse with acceleration...doesn't really do it at idle.

Dealership told me they couldn't fix it. :bs:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks guys. basically i need to get the truck in the air and check every heatshield all the way down the truck from front to back. The other day i was in another vehicle driving next to mine while my brother drove and i could hear it plain as day. Pretty freaking embarassing if u ask me. Now im ashamed for letting it go this long.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Well I had two exhaust noises I delt with. One was the manifold heatshield.. But that was around 2k-2.2k Rpms.

What you are describing is the next problem I fixed. The manifold has a small heatshield welded to the bottom of it. That sun of a bitch made all its noise at 1800rpm - 1900 rpm. Mainly on takeoff. Remove that thing with a prybar, the welds are real weak and weaken even further over time. See that POS right under the cat and above the collector?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
gerry the pics don't work for me.. it says bad link..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When removing a heatshield like that. is it possible that now with the extra heat in a lengthy time it would dry out the rubbers in the suspension areas. thats what i've always been told about replacing heat shields.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
If you see the weak spot weld on top, you will find it was not engineered for the heat... I can not see anything that shield is truely protecting. I am assuming it is for road debris that might hit the pipe. A new manifold is $300+...or maybe spot weld that back on... Your call, if that is even your rattle.. Get in there and check her out..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright i crawled under that and i can definately see where the welds are bad. but i hit it a few times with a rubber mallet and didn't here anything at all.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
alright i crawled under that and i can definately see where the welds are bad. but i hit it a few times with a rubber mallet and didn't here anything at all.
Same deal for me, everything looked and sounded tight enough while checking it... I had to do process of elimination, I took off everything else (other shields). It was the last component that could cause the noise.... I could not replicate the noise unless the engine was on and under load. I had a spare manifold, so I did not hesitate to take it off and that was the problem... The top weld was the weak link..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts