Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys im moving to hawaii next august and ive read a few rules here and there.
so here we go.
i saw where they want you to have hawaii tags. is this absolutely necessary?
im tagged in kansas and would like to keep it that way because of no inspections.
i know theres a law that says no hid's which blows but i guess ill live :shrug:
im not really sure what recon is?
i would like to run no catalytic converter because im going turbo and i also want to run an electric cutout. is this even possible there?
other than a few things like my wheels and hids my truck appears stock. but the wheels have a little offset. any info would be great. thanks in advance :th_woot:

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Pretty sure they have strict inspections upon arrival due to preservation of the islands. There was a thread here somewhere about a guy going from San Diego with a bagged Rado, it had a little bit of info if you can find it. Can't remember his name right now, I'll see if I can find it as well. Good luck and your a lucky SOB.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
** Recon is basically for any modified vehicle that's registered in the state of HI...another inspection where its another $50 to the state; note those prices might have since changed

** Inspections are a joke......ask around there are places that "pass" you for a couple extra bucks......been there and done that. I had no windshield wipers, fluid/sprayers, rear seat and factory seat belts removed....it was a nice stage 2 weight reduction

** They were strict on window tint when I was there and that was about it

** Emissions........as long as your exhaust isn't stupid loud and annoying, your good. I ran pretty much straight exhaust on my 92 Talon TSI

Word on the street is they are getting ready to crack down on lowered vehicles......static and bagged.........I feeel bad for the locals and MIL guys moving there

I tagged all of my vehicles there, with the Hawaii DL 50 form it was $20 a year to register and renew tags there for MIL personnel. Hope that gets you going in the right direction and helps you prepare for the transition to the Aloha State.

FYSA - I was at 25th ID from Jan 99 - Aug 03

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Jesse @1BADI5 damn you guys reply fast! thanks!
and yeah i checked that thread out already and it just makes me want to stay registered in kansas. BTW very lucky, hawaii was open when i reinlisted so i jumped all over it!
no worries on window tint or lowering, tint on the truck is factory, and no lowering because i want to be able to run a 28x10.5 under the rear.
any info on the local drag strips?
@1BADI5 were you at scholfield? i think i spelled that right?

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
@Jesse @1BADI5 damn you guys reply fast! thanks!
and yeah i checked that thread out already and it just makes me want to stay registered in kansas. BTW very lucky, hawaii was open when i reinlisted so i jumped all over it!
no worries on window tint or lowering, tint on the truck is factory, and no lowering because i want to be able to run a 28x10.5 under the rear.
any info on the local drag strips?
@1BADI5 were you at scholfield? i think i spelled that right?
They respond fast because they don't do any work ever haha. (As I sit here at work on the forum lol)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
^^^^^^^ yep, these foos are stealing from the company by not doing the work they are getting pay to do, dont worry im contacting their bosses later

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Yes I was at Schofield..............that place went through major changes while i was there......and its amazing there now.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
you'll get island fever at about the one year mark..

it's a great place to be very active, hikin, kite surfing, running, exploring.

1badi5 gave you great info.

i kept my jeep reg'd in az. that way i dint have to mess with alot of their 'laws'

once you get settled, hook us up with a place to stay, i havent been out there in a few years now.

didnt see if you were army/af/marine, that only matter to what part of the island you'll be on.

i still have lots of off roading buddies out there, and let me tell ya, it is some good fun wheelin with the locals! -it does take some time to get in their group, remember your a haole until you prove otherwise to them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I'm army. I'm going to ft shafter. I heard it was really nice. I'm going to some signal unit out there. Not much into the wheeling scene but I guess I'll see when I get there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yeah I'm army. I'm going to ft shafter.
shafter is decent, i wouldnt say its 'nice' but it surely is better than lets say ft hood..

you say you arent into wheelin... yet!

seriously i can introduce you to some really good guys out there. their locals, and there isnt anything like hangin with locals, fishin for tacos while you watch the sun go down, and whales in the back ground.

the only way to get there is with an off road vehicle.

life changing experiences, and life long memories..

swimmin with the huge sea turtles, and snorkeling with the sharks.. nowhere else in the world can you do this. and you are gettin paid to do it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that actually sounds pretty badass. i might have to invest i a 4x4 when i get there

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats why i wanna stay registered in kansas! no inspection what so ever. just pay taxes and renew your tag!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts