Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone tried swapping the L35 or LU3 from the S-10/Jimmy/Sonoma or Astro/Safari vans into the I4 or I5 Colorado or Canyon? There's more aftermarket parts and a lot more potential for performance gains with those motors and I was wondering if they were compatible with the auto or manual transmissions they used in our trucks.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
After having a 2dr zr2 blazer with the 4.3, it was way underpowered and weighed much less than my truck and got horrible mpgs. I think it would be a serious downgrade unless it was built, but why start with less power than a stock 5 cyl?

·
Registered
835 Posts
^ That. Plus, no they don't work with the stock transmissions.

If you're going through the work of that swap, might has well get an LS style engine. A 5.3 will get better fuel economy than a 4.3 and make a LOT more power too.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
horrible motor.....not an upgrade in any aspect.

I'm second Limequat's motion to LS swap

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
i have a 2000 2wd 2 door 5speed blazer that is my daily driver with the 4.3 in it and that thing is a pain in the ass to work on and that spider injection system is just pure garbage if you ask me. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just wondering. My folks were junking their astro van; the motor was solid, and that thing hauled ass. Those astro vans can't possibly be lighter than an extended cab 4x4 model 355, can they?

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I would not trade my engine for the 4.3... IMO

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Why not sell the 4.3 and get a 5.3? Your going to probably have the same amount of $$ into both swaps. Maybe alittle more with the 4.3 cause I'd say you'd be the first.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Thread moved back over to the 1st Gen section

1 - 9 of 9 Posts