Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Canyon with a swapped out 6.0 liter L92. the front was lowered with 3" lower control arms, but it still retains the stock springs from an I4 with spacers to offset the chevy lean. I'm pretty sure I need a different front spring to make the ride quality a little better, but also so I stop rubbing the wheel wells.

I was told the 09 v8 springs would raise the front up a little and improve the ride quality, but I can't seem to find any posts on this. I was hoping someone might know more about this so I know what I need to purchase to fix the problem. With out going with an expensive adjustable suspension.

I am hoping to get maybe 1/2 in of extra clearance up front and maybe improve the ride quality.

Thanks.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
It should, I would think GM was smart enough to increase the spring rate on the v8's. You could also measure your coil spring and then call a spring manufacturer and see if they can look up the stock spring rate and give you something stiffer. Coil's are pretty cheap when you are just buying them so it should be reasonable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that. I was just hoping someone out there had done this already, and that maybe I could just buy an off the shelf part and make it simple and easy. Not always the case though.

Thanks though.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would think an extended or crew cab front spring would work, since your only a regular cab.

·
Registered
78 Posts
order crew cab v8 coils and they will be stiffer. Just don't get the ZQ8 ones, as they will be shorter than the normal ones

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. so the crew cab coils should do the trick. Now do I need to replace my shock too, or should those fit even with a taller coil?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So on gmpartsdirects.com I found a couple of different front springs for the v8. So there are the zq8 which nikbrew said not to get, then there is the z85 off road spring, and the 5.3L coil spring.

I'm not certain as to which springs to grab, and they are all about $70 each. so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks again.
anthony.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would go with the standard 5.3 spring. THe off road would be taller than stock, and the zq8 will be lower than stock

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for tryng to help guys, but the stok off road springs are 1.5 inches shorter than what was in there. the v8 springs i got from gm performance parts were 12 inches when the ones I currently have are 13.5 give or take a little. Looks like the springs I currently have are better.

Any suggestions?

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
The length of the spring doesn't mean much. They could be preloaded more from the factory so that they achieve a higher load rate when compressed to the dimension set by the strut.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts