Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
04 4x4 3.5L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear end of my 04 sags down approx 1.5" lower than the front. This is what my leaf springs look like. How should I go about fixing this? Re-arch these? Buy a replacement? Install a lift shackle to get back to original ride height?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think I would replace them. Someone on here says some from a full size chevy truck would work and be more heavy duty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
More info first. How many miles on your 04? How are you measuring the ride height difference with the front? Have you or another owner ever adjusted the torsion bars? The spring does look at bit worn, and they aren't too bad to replace. I am making a bold assumption that you live in the south, as what we can see in the pic shows the chassis in really good condition, especially for an 04.
Are you looking to increase payload capacity, or just want to make the truck look balanced?
Is your rear end even side to side?
I replaced my springs for the same reason, but I did not get that much height out of the new Dorman stock replacement springs. Maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch. I was expecting more, honestly. I was attacking the lean condition, so I was hoping it would even out side to side. Improved, but not killed.
You have a few options:
Replace with stock springs and see what happens.
Replace with 4+1 springs which still stiffen up the rear end
Get some 2 inch lift shackles (the quick and inexpensive way to adjust the attitude of the chassis)
Add some helper springs
The main thing i keep thinking about is if the torsion bars have been cranked already. Assuming it has the TB front end suspension.

·
Registered
2008 Chevy Colorado WT Z71 4WD
32 Posts
I replaced my leaf springs with some from Michigan Truck Springs. They seem like good quality and have been pleased with them so far. Although, the shipping expenses were insane (I live in Nevada).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have these on my truck and they are amazing. Way more heavy duty and fit perfect. All I had to do was drill out the pilot hole on the axle where the leaf mounts but other than that no modifications necessary. Here's a link on sdtrucksprings.com its model 22-525

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have these on my truck and they are amazing. Way more heavy duty and fit perfect. All I had to do was drill out the pilot hole on the axle where the leaf mounts but other than that no modifications necessary. Here's a link on sdtrucksprings.com its model 22-525
was that easy to do? Did you take pictures?

·
Registered
63 Posts
was that easy to do? Did you take pictures?
Sorry I don’t have any pictures from when I did it but it was as easy as any other leaf spring swap. Jack up the truck high enough that you can get all the weight off the leafs, remove the shock, undo the u bolts to the axle, remove the leaf spring, drill out the pilot hole on the leaf spring mount on the axle(5/8” I believe but it was a while back), bolt the new leaf back in, install new u bolts, repeat for the other side, torque it all down. I would bottom out the rear leafs with pretty much anything I put in the bed but now it’s much better I’ve had 10-12 people sitting in the back and it only sagged 2-3 inches or so. Highly recommend the upgraded leafs if you’re using your truck for towing or putting a lot of weight in the bed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts