Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's come time to replace my leaf springs. Before I actually buy them, I'm looking for a list what else should be bought when I make my purchase. 2006 colorado crew cab z85. I will be having 4" drop blocks come my way shortly, and from what I've heard, I may need to buy beefier ubolts... What else should I replace?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Leaf Spring Replacement

Removal Procedure
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  2. Support the rear axle independently in order to relieve the tension on the leaf springs.
  3. Disconnect the rear park brake cable. Refer to Parking Brake Rear Cable Replacement - Left Side or Parking Brake Rear Cable Replacement - Right Side.
  4. Remove the absorber lower mounting nut and bolt. Refer to Shock Absorber Replacement.
  5. Remove the U-bolt nuts.
  6. Remove the anchor plate.
  7. Remove the U-bolts.
    Discard the U-bolts, nuts, and washers.​
  8. Remove the rear spring hanger bracket nut and bolt.
  9. Remove the front spring bracket bolt.
  10. Remove the leaf spring assembly from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the leaf spring assembly to the vehicle.
  2. Install the front spring hanger bracket bolt.
  3. Install the front spring hanger bracket nut.
  4. Install the rear spring hanger bracket bolt.
  5. Install the rear spring hanger bracket nut.

Note: Do not reuse the U-bolts.

6. Install the new U-bolts.
  7. Install the anchor plate.
    Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution in the Preface section.​
  8. Install new U-bolt washers and nuts and tighten the nuts to 76 N·m (56 lb ft).
  9. Install the absorber lower mounting nut and bolt. Refer to Shock Absorber Replacement.
  10. Connect the rear park brake cable. Refer to Parking Brake Rear Cable Replacement - Left Side or to Parking Brake Rear Cable Replacement - Right Side.
  11. Remove the rear axle support.
  12. Lower the vehicle.
  13. With the vehicle weight on the tires and wheels, tighten the front hanger and rear shackle nut.
  • Tighten the front hanger bracket nut to 125 N·m (92 lb ft).
  • Tighten the rear shackle nut to 85 N·m (63 lb ft).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do you need to replace the bolts?
bolts are 8 years old... been through winters in Illinois and Minnesota... replace just in case they're rusted to the point that they need to be cut off... replace to ensure strength of new bolts rather than 8 year old bolts...

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I have shackle bushings on the way, and I didn't think of the bolts, but I'm sure I'll need them too. Wouldn't have thought of it if not for this thread.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
GM Part Number: 11588857 ($4.45)
Bolt dimensions is 1.30 in × 5.00 in × 1.30 in.
Hex flanged head, m14x2x110, 45 thread, 30.5 outside diameter, 10.9, gmw3359, header point

GM Part Number: 11516382 ($1.30)
Nut dimensions is 0.70 in × 4.10 in × 2.90 in.
Hex flanged head lock m14x2x15, 28 outside diameter 10 7111m

The bolt is an uncommon size so, you'll only find them at your local GM dealer. I couldn't find them on Fastenal nor the Carr McMaster sites and they usually have everything.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
bolts are 8 years old... been through winters in Illinois and Minnesota... replace just in case they're rusted to the point that they need to be cut off... replace to ensure strength of new bolts rather than 8 year old bolts...
That's a good reason, didn't even think about the winters you guys see over there. Stupid California people. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts