Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone recommend a LED foglamp?

I'm looking for something I can mount in the foglamp pockets on the OE valence.
I'd prefer rectangular, but I'll consider round or oval.

It'd be nice if they throw enough light to help illuminate the road directly in front of my bumper.
I'm not looking for something to project a beam 100 feet ahead, just the road immediately in front of me.

If I can't find anything that'll light up the road ahead then I'll settle for something that can be seen by oncoming cars.

Looks like there's about 3 inches by 5 inches to work with there..

Damn it's incredible how many are advertised online with NO DIMENSIONS listed.
How freaking stupid can you be??

Anyone?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I'm interested in those Amazon lights as well. Follow up in here with an install and performance review.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Im buying these from a buddy tomorrow. Incredible bright at mid day! trying to mount in the place you described also! Amazon.com: 2x 4" 18W 6 CREE LED SUV Off-road Boat Headlight Spot Driving Fog Light + Mounting Bracket: Automotive
Good find!!!
Those are the first I've seen that have substantial light output and will fit in the OE valence foglamp pocket:

Size & Dimension: L 3 3/4" x W 2 3/8" x H 3 1/8" (97 x 61 x 79mm)
At 3-1/8 inch height it should just squeeze in there..
may have to cut a bit of clearance in the top or bottom of the pocket.
If you do have to cut and you can do the cutting in the top then no one will even be able to see it.

I wonder though if those dimensions include the mounting bracket... kinda doubt it somehow.
Don't see how it could given the ratio of
L 3 3/4" x W 2 3/8" x H 3 1/8"
BTW-
If you look at that Amazon page you'll see larger dimensions listed at the top portion of the page.

I've noticed that Amazon publishes the package dimensions for everything.
They may or may not then list the actual dimensions of the product itself in the description.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
These are the lamps I've been lusting for, designed for mounting on motorcycle front forks:
Clearwater Lights "Darla" lamp product page

SPECIFICATIONS

24 watts consumption each (on high).
2" diameter.
High power.
2000+ lumens each.
7 ounces.
Fully dimmable.
Includes wiring harness.
Custom tooled optics.
CNC machined.
Made in the U.S.A.
What they don't include in those specs is the price.... about $500 (!).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good find!!!
Those are the first I've seen that have substantial light output and will fit in the OE valence foglamp pocket:

At 3-1/8 inch height it should just squeeze in there..
may have to cut a bit of clearance in the top or bottom of the pocket.
If you do have to cut and you can do the cutting in the top then no one will even be able to see it.

I wonder though if those dimensions include the mounting bracket... kinda doubt it somehow.
Don't see how it could given the ratio of

BTW-
If you look at that Amazon page you'll see larger dimensions listed at the top portion of the page.

I've noticed that Amazon publishes the package dimensions for everything.
They may or may not then list the actual dimensions of the product itself in the description.
Yeah I was messing with them yesterday, hooking the wires up to see how bright they are, looking for mounting locations, ect. and these lights are no joke. I don't see the point in buying rigids when you can get these that are just as good. They are stout. Super solid metal body that feels like it could take a rock any day. Extremely bright at mid day also.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't have any idea why that pic came out upside down. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Theres these:

Theyre twice as big as mine so they might fit in there pretty good.

·
Members Technical Staff
2,499 Posts
You could cut a piece of sheet metal to cover the entire open area -- then mount the fogs to the sheet metal. That COULD look pretty slick.

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,880 Posts
i installed some flush mount leds in my rear bumper. they are so bright i wont even wire them into my reverse lights because i might blind someone. just keep an eye on how high these shine out on the road.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Is something wrong with the stock lights. I personally think they are bring as shit and I wouldn't even want to put an hid kit on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
65 Posts
honestly, its one of those mods that probably wont get a lot of use. I got the lights from a buddy for good deal and I Think it looks great. Im happy with the turnout.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is something wrong with the stock lights. I personally think they are bring as shit and I wouldn't even want to put an hid kit on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The stock ones aren't water tight. One of my bulbs burned out cause I had water sloshing around in there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts