Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried led headlight bulb replacements? I've seen the China made crap all over eBay and I won't even consider them. However vleds has some promising bulbs.

9006 HB4 5K MT-G2 3000LM LED HEADLIGHT FOG LIGHT | 1 PAIR - LED - Headlights

3000 lumens per bulb at 5000k. Two cree mt-g2 chips. Seems very promising. Plus it's from a reputable vendor that only sells quality products. There's a 20% off labor day sale ending on September 1. At 3000 lumens, that's Damn near bright as my 35 watt ddm tuning hids. I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase these when I get paid this week. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I'll be the first...
in for updates.

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
In for updates.......I really want a set for my high beams

·
Members Technical Staff
2,498 Posts
no way to know how they'll do in our housings without trying...

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Looking at the photo...
It appears the light is all emitted to the sides.

That means that the fixture must "clock" correctly into our specific headlamp fixture so that it's rotated to the correct orientation when seated in so that the light is reflected forward from the sides of the reflector.

Also, I'd be concerned that the O-ring will seal completely in our headlamps.
Sealing at the O-ring is enough problem with the stock bulb fixtures on these trucks..

·
Nation Lurker
799 Posts
I bought a pair from another company back in Feb., but they ripped me off and never sent the lights :hulk:

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I bought a pair from another company back in Feb., but they ripped me off and never sent the lights :hulk:
I would be tempted to go after them with an ax!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Even if the light out put is comparable to ddm hid, idk if I could justify spending 200$ on them when the hid kits is less than half that. Plus ddm has a supplier in Cali now so you don't have to wait for them to ship from china!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Even if the light out put is comparable to ddm hid, idk if I could justify spending 200$ on them when the hid kits is less than half that. Plus ddm has a supplier in Cali now so you don't have to wait for them to ship from china!
That's understandable..
In theory though, an LED should be good for at least 5x the life of an HID unit.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't find any detailed reviews on the new led kits. I believe they come with different types of o rings like the v3 tritons. If they do throw light out like they should, there are so many benefits compared to the hid kits. There would be no warm up time making this perfect for switching the high beams. The ability to receive lower power for drl without destroying the bulbs. Of course the life of the bulb should outlast the truck, making this a cheaper option than hid. Plus the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
These don't come from China. They're made in the states. It costs more than the China crap but that's why I'm considering this to be a quality item.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got my v3 triton switchbacks in. Spliced up to supermod's sequentials and these are super bright.

They're coming out with 6500k headlight bulbs October 14 so I'm holding off on these until then.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll be the Guinea pig as soon as they come out with the 6500k version. That way it'll match my drls and soon to be led fogs. The I'll need two switchbacks for the rear so I can do a sequential turn signal in the rears with dual reverse lights. The v3 tritons are fucking bright.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I've tried a few different high powered led bulbs for the high beams including the 80W Cree & COB lights similar to the ones above and have to say they're not as bright a regular halogen bulbs IMO. They work ok for the reverse lights but I would not recommend them for any driving lights and expect any good projection distance.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I've tried a few different high powered led bulbs for the high beams including the 80W Cree & COB lights similar to the ones above and have to say they're not as bright a regular halogen bulbs IMO. They work ok for the reverse lights but I would not recommend them for any driving lights and expect any good projection distance.
The state of the art is just now evolving (but rapidly) to the point that headlights are even possible. I'm very surprised to see any aftermarket units at all (and I'm very skeptical).

LED headlamps do exist though, if I'm not mistaken the 2015 Porsches have them.
In 4 years or so they'll be standard for all cars.

HID and halogen are history.

·
Members Technical Staff
2,498 Posts
Just got my v3 triton switchbacks in. Spliced up to supermod's sequentials and these are super bright.

They're coming out with 6500k headlight bulbs October 14 so I'm holding off on these until then.
Pictures of this set-up? Installation & working?

·
Registered
159 Posts
The state of the art is just now evolving (but rapidly) to the point that headlights are even possible. I'm very surprised to see any aftermarket units at all (and I'm very skeptical).

LED headlamps do exist though, if I'm not mistaken the 2015 Porsches have them.
In 4 years or so they'll be standard for all cars.

HID and halogen are history.

Lots of new vehicles have LED headlights now, the 2014 corolla even has them in all models, even a cheapo base model. I think i heard the new F-150 is even using them.

All the newer Led headlights (actual led headlights, inside of a projector built around said led) are not a whole lot brighter then halogens, and a lot dimmer then HID's. I think the only one that might come close is the acura MDX headlight, but it has 5 individual led/projectors. They're basically using them for low power consumption and the bling factor.

That said, ive never seen any of these new pnp led bulbs, but i cant imagine that its magically brighter then a halogen when its inside of a reflector thats been build around a halogen. Halogens emit 360* of light, these CREE MT-G2 emit 115* of light per led. You'll basically be lighting up 2 small sections of the reflector.

There's a thread about these from one of the new site sponsers thats shows bulbs like this inside of a fog light with the vehicle like 6 feet away from a wall, you can see how much unusable glare there is with one of these in a fog light ( plus there camera overexposed the hell out of the pic). Also keep in mind all these sellers of aftermarket leds inflate the specs on them, using the max value of the led or (seems like) some of them make there own up.

They could be used for looks but i'd save your money, no way these perform very well.

Also, blue headlights arent cool. lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts