Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the market for a soft tonneau cover and was looking for some opinions from other members. Right now I'm looking at the Truxedo Truxport and the factory GM soft tonneau. Any opinions on which is going to be more secure and weather tight? It can get pretty wet down here in Florida and I need to make sure the water stays out. Can't seem to find too much info on the GM tonneau, how does it latch? I'm looking for something that can't be opened with the tail gate closed. Thanks in advanced fellas.

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
I have a Bestop tri-fold and am very happy with it. Four clamps hold it on and can fold it up and take it off or install it in just a couple minutes with no tools. Also can fold it and leave it on as there are 2 straps to keep it folded while driving. The vinyl attatches to the frame with the same belt rail that Bestop uses on Jeep soft tops and fits very snug. No snaps to worry about breaking or cheap velcro like the factory GM cover.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have the Truxedo LoProQT. I have been very happy with it. I don't count on it to be 100% weatherproof, but it's a pickup, and that's fine by me.

Here it is on my truck.

Front. See the loops for the straps that secure it when rolled up

Back. Tailgate seal shown on top, as occurs when the cover is closed after the tailgate. The instructions actually say to do the opposite.

Opening tailgate

Pull lever on driver's side to release.

Start rolling

The supports sit nicely.

Clamps

Tension adjust

Pull these on both sides to remove cover entirely

All rolled up

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
I have a Bestop tri-fold and am very happy with it. Four clamps hold it on and can fold it up and take it off or install it in just a couple minutes with no tools. Also can fold it and leave it on as there are 2 straps to keep it folded while driving. The vinyl attatches to the frame with the same belt rail that Bestop uses on Jeep soft tops and fits very snug. No snaps to worry about breaking or cheap velcro like the factory GM cover.
Just researched this cover after reading this, seems like the cat's ass! I wasn't wanting to spend that much money for a cover, but eh...you get what you pay for. I don't want to deal with a cheap cover that uses snaps, and while the factory cover is nice and easy to use, it was still kind of a pain to have someone help me roll it up (could do it by myself, but much easier with 2 people) velcro it in place (one of my straps broke after long)...remove the 3 support rails...remove the rail that sits on top of the tailgate....have all 4 pieces clanking around in the bed next to whatever I was hauling....then repeating all that when going to reinstall it...eff.

Do you remember where you got it, and what you paid? I've been seeing it anywhere from $275-$315 with free shipping.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the truxedo truxport and absolutely love it. A lil bit of water does get in but its next to nothing and I think the fact that my bed was damaged and repaired that has something to do with it. I wanted the one aboVe but couldn't afford the extra cash.

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
Just researched this cover after reading this, seems like the cat's ass! I wasn't wanting to spend that much money for a cover, but eh...you get what you pay for. I don't want to deal with a cheap cover that uses snaps, and while the factory cover is nice and easy to use, it was still kind of a pain to have someone help me roll it up (could do it by myself, but much easier with 2 people) velcro it in place (one of my straps broke after long)...remove the 3 support rails...remove the rail that sits on top of the tailgate....have all 4 pieces clanking around in the bed next to whatever I was hauling....then repeating all that when going to reinstall it...eff.

Do you remember where you got it, and what you paid? I've been seeing it anywhere from $275-$315 with free shipping.
I wanna say summit or stylintrucks.com but cant remember for sure now. Those prices seem about right, there was a $50 rebate when i bought mine i do remember that.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Word. I found it as low as $250 + $15 for shipping, but then a pop up appeared that said "click here to get 20% off shipping!" so it seems like I could get it around $262-ish. Just have to talk the wife into letting me charge it. :lol:

You have any pics of yours?

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
Here ya go...

4 clamps hold it on and plastic buckle strap hanging down is for when its folded up.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Nice. Thanks!

I definitely like that style. Been finding other brands that offer a cover like this, but they all seem to be similarly priced. I'll just have to keep an eye out for a sale.

·
Norse god of maintenance
113 Posts
My father has the truxedo on his dodge and that's the one I'd get if I was to get one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the Truxedo LoProQT. I have been very happy with it. I don't count on it to be 100% weatherproof, but it's a pickup, and that's fine by me.

Here it is on my truck.

Front. See the loops for the straps that secure it when rolled up

Back. Tailgate seal shown on top, as occurs when the cover is closed after the tailgate. The instructions actually say to do the opposite.

Opening tailgate

Pull lever on driver's side to release.

Start rolling

The supports sit nicely.

Clamps

Tension adjust

Pull these on both sides to remove cover entirely

All rolled up
Wow, thanks man! That was extremely helpful. I'm on a budget so I think I'm going to go with the truxport. It seems to have the same style latching system as yours which I really like. Thanks to everyone for all the info :355group:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I found one last night that look really nice and come in different colors. The lady said if we get a group together she would give us a discount. $289 for a white one to me isint bad at all! Here's the link. Creftecinc.com

·
Registered
191 Posts
I found one last night that look really nice and come in different colors. The lady said if we get a group together she would give us a discount. $289 for a white one to me isint bad at all! Here's the link. Creftecinc.com
Actual website Addy is : www.craftecinc.com

Not sure of the discount is any better than what's already on their site unless it includes shipping.

I checked for my crew cab (white) and it was $270.00 and $52.84 for shipping to my door in Az. If I went with standard black it was $249 plus same shipping.

Find out if shipping is included in group buy and I will be interested.
I'm in the market for one now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
127 Posts
My truck came with an Extang Trifecta on it, and I would not recommend it, or any Extang products for that matter. All of their products are horribly overpriced, they're really nothing special, and their customer service is terrible. The customer service rep for my area is bitchy and takes forever to reply to e-mails.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts