Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been reading a lot about different lift/leveling options. My truck gets used in a somewhat unusual fashion, so I wanted to hear some opinions from the experts, based on my circumstances.

My truck (08 Z71) is my DD, which sees about 100 miles of highway use M-F. I'd say 95% of the truck's life is cruise control at 70mph (some of that with a MX bike in the back). The rest is some city and some light offroading. The truck has reached 100k on the clock and is still in good shape. I am looking to freshen it up once winter breaks, as it has a slight sag/lean, as is pretty common. I was wanting to add 1-2inch of lift in the process, mainly for looks but also just for a bit of clearance. I was wondering if this would be a bad idea, since the truck sees highway speeds so frequently? I was thinking about the SMaxx cam kit for the torsion bar trucks, with the differential drop, for the front. If the front gets raised like 1.5in, we will say, will even that small raise drastically wear out front end parts? I'd rather not take it to the point of needing to do the ball joint flip etc. And for the back, I assume just an AAL would be good to bring some life to the oem leafs, while giving me an extra inch or so? And then maybe new Rancho shocks to round everything out. Anyone have any input on this set-up in relation to my driving habits? Also, any other set-up suggestions are welcome. Or if I am better off just leaving it at stock ride height and evening the slight lean out and getting new shocks, then I guess I am ok with that, to save from hassle down the line.

I know this topic is always beat to death, so Search Police please be kind. I feel like my driving habits are somewhat out of the ordinary, so I would like to discuss my options based off of that. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Subscribed. I want to see how this turns out, I have similar driving habits and many of the same questions. At less than 45,000 miles I already have about an inch of sag on the driver side.

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
with such small lift that you plan, it wouldn't impact much at all honestly. If you want to level the truck, lifting both the front and rear the same amount won't level it. Unless its sagged enough to be level now.. just food for thought.

However, AALs are a good solution for helping out the aged leaf packs.

For the front, you might be able to get away with cranking on the stock torsion bar keys to get it where you want it. That would take the cost away from needing new keys.

Also, don't forget that an alignment would be needed or I would highly recommend it. While only lifting the front a little, your miles on the highway and a slightly mis-aligned front end could result in some premature uneven tire wear. :shrug:

Since you aren't altering your tire size (no real need to) or your rims, the extra little bit won't be enough to make a difference with your mileage...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what you mean about the leveling part, blurred. Good point. I guess I maybe worded it weird. I would be fine with raising it equally (like 1in fr & bk) and keeping the same rake. If possible, I'd maybe do .5 more in the front, I'd just have to see how it looks.

Another question that I have....If you get the aftermarket keys, like SMaxx with the adjustable settings, do those make the ride better than just cranking down oem torsion bars? I was under the impression that by cranking up the stock stuff an inch or 2 that you really tighten up the suspension action. But I thought the adjustable keys could add the height w/o tightening up the way the suspension behaves? (I could be way off with that).

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Wrong. Whether cranking stock keys or installing re indexed lift keys you are still changing the angles of the control arms which results in a stiff ride.

A Torsion bar lift doesn't tighten up the suspension. Whether cranking the stock keys or installing lift ones you are twisting the lower control arm so it is positioned at a steeper angle which pulls the front tires/wheels inward and raises the front

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see. Thanks for the info, Greg. So do you have any input on the original topic? Would an inch or so make a big enough change that thing will wear much quicker, with the truck being driven on the highway a lot. And how much do you think the ride will change for that type of driving?

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
An inch won't be that bad. Hardly noticeable as far as ride quality and wear. I wouldn't even bother with the diff drop.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've got a truck that's basically the same as yours and same use but it only has 60K miles on it now.
At about 3K, I added longer rear shackles and cranked the front about an inch (to the upper end of the factory spec) and got it aligned. I've had to replace one front hub but no other suspension issues. I also run 32 inch tires. I do have to keep the tires rotated to prevent the fronts wearing excessively on the fronts. I also found I do a little better by keeping the tires in the 30-32 psi range than the higher pressures allowed on the sidewalls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts