Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 04 GMC Canyon with tb and there cranked hard and rear sags. My question is what’s best solution to getting my ride same height with no rear sag and a smoother ride.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Replacement springs and unload the torsion bars to factory ride height. Where you located. I just did a lift using new lifted spring packs and I have a set of z71 springs with 47k miles I'm willing to sell. Shipping wouldnt be worth it though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replacement springs and unload the torsion bars to factory ride height. Where you located. I just did a lift using new lifted spring packs and I have a set of z71 springs with 47k miles I'm willing to sell. Shipping wouldnt be worth it though.
Well I like the height I got didn’t know if swapping with torsion keys would get me back up and a littler better ride and then do a add a leak or shackle lift but I live here in florida

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Add a leaf will help with sag but not a smoother ride. Tb twist with my experience with other vehicles also doesn't help with a smoother ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Add a leaf will help with sag but not a smoother ride. Tb twist with my experience with other vehicles also doesn't help with a smoother ride.
Ok well I’m running 33” I’m looking to keep it same height bring back up I guess I’ll just do the new keys and either do a aal or shackle lift and throw some good shocks on it

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
Ok well I’m running 33” I’m looking to keep it same height bring back up I guess I’ll just do the new keys and either do a aal or shackle lift and throw some good shocks on it
New Keys probably are not going to gain you any height and definitely won't help the ride. You may need new Torsion bars. Been there and done that, as torsion bars sag also. gmpartsdirect.com should have the torsion bars or can order them. I got mine from a wrecked truck that had 13000 miles on it at a local yard. I got lucky though, rare find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New Keys probably are not going to gain you any height and definitely won't help the ride. You may need new Torsion bars. Been there and done that, as torsion bars sag also. gmpartsdirect.com should have the torsion bars or can order them. I got mine from a wrecked truck that had 13000 miles on it at a local yard. I got lucky though, rare find.
Ok I’m tryin to build this truck out a big issue u I have is goin down dirt roads and feelin like the truck frame hits the dirt. It’s a abused truck no doubt. No bump stops anywere so I was hoping to find a better way to keep my height and sustain hard and fast dirt road runnin

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Suspension lift kit would be the best option but pricey. Aal and shackles are like a band aid imo

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
Suspension lift kit would be the best option but pricey. Aal and shackles are like a band aid imo
Suspension lifts like you reference come with AALs, unless you spend the big dollars on the upgraded kit from Skyjacker and buy the soft ride springs. Shackles are also fine, I mean the truck already has them out back, so why would bigger ones be a band aid?

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
Ok I’m tryin to build this truck out a big issue u I have is goin down dirt roads and feelin like the truck frame hits the dirt. It’s a abused truck no doubt. No bump stops anywere so I was hoping to find a better way to keep my height and sustain hard and fast dirt road runnin
It is a torsion bar truck, not going to ride like coil springs. It is going to be rough. If you want a softer ride buy something else.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Suspension lifts like you reference come with AALs, unless you spend the big dollars on the upgraded kit from Skyjacker and buy the soft ride springs. Shackles are also fine, I mean the truck already has them out back, so why would bigger ones be a band aid?
I just installed a skyjacker kit and opted out of aal. You can buy just the front component kit and the soft ride springs separately. Aal and shackles are just a way of bending/stretching the factory springs making a rougher ride while gaining lift which they were not designed for and band aiding the ride height that the skyjacker soft ride lift springs we're designed for. Comfort and lift.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
I just installed a skyjacker kit and opted out of aal. You can buy just the front component kit and the soft ride springs separately. Aal and shackles are just a way of bending/stretching the factory springs making a rougher ride while gaining lift which they were not designed for and band aiding the ride height that the skyjacker soft ride lift springs we're designed for. Comfort and lift.
Spoiler Alert! Soft Ride skyjacker springs are not factory ride softness and are not impervious to the Colorado sag and stretch. I know, I am running them. I have almost 175000 on this set and they are losing height. Stock shackles, Skyjacker shocks. They have sagged about a inch. I do not have the front half of the kit, I just have the rear springs. My front is cranked, and it sits higher now than the rear does, and I am not cranked to the max.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
175k miles is quite impressive for any spring to resist sagging. Just curious but what's your rear ground to fender height now. How much hauling have you done with those miles.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
My ground to bottom of the fender flair is 38 up front and 37 1/8 in the rear, measured from the concrete straight through the center of the hub to a level held level for accurate measuring. That includes a 1.25 inch, self engineered, body lift. I don't haul with it except yard trash and and whatever we take on a trip when we travel. It always has the 32 inch spare on a matching 15 x 10 wheel in the bed, and my tools I always carry. Probably between 75 and 100 lbs. Heaviest thing it has ever carried was my new recliners for the house, for 20 mile from the store to the house. I use it off road, lots of medium level trail riding and it is my daily.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
I will be soon changing out the rear springs for something else to be done over the axle spring mounts so I can run 35's. SASing the front and ditching the T bars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts