Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to search, but I guess I'm not wording it right. First attempt to lift with T keys. So, here we go.

Do 3" lift keys add 3" on stock number of cranks, or just have the ability to be cranked to 3"? Like, does it start at +3", or does it go to 3" (@ max crank)?:unsure:

And if I'm wording anything wrong, please forgive and correct me. Thx.:cool:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've attached a basic video on how torsion bars work. Basically, you are twisting a steel rod to create torque. That torque is transferred into lifting power. The torsion bar has a hex on the end, like a large bolt hear that fits into the lower A-frame on one end and into the torsion bar key on the other end. You can get a good 2" lift by just adjusting the stock keys. The special lift keys have the hex hole bored at a different angle, which allows you to be able to twist the torsion bar more at the maximum adjustment. So, the starting point is different. Basically, the more you twist the torsion bar on the fixed end, the more you can raise the front end. If you're having trouble finding information online, try searching for "torsion bar keys". That's the full description of what you're looking for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got 'chu. So aftermarket keys start stock height, but go to 3" because of the different key cut, where as stock keys only go to 2.5 ish...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Absolutely! If you want to raise the front end without making the suspension stiffer, you'll need to go a different route and spend some money. But, our trucks are not going to have a limousine ride quality anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts