Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think?

I looked online and i'd be looking at 400-500 bucks for an aluminum driveshaft. According to some websites the aluminum will be 1/3 lighter then the oem steel driveshaft.(plus isnt the ZQ8 a 2 piece driveshaft?)

·
Bagged Bomber
10,954 Posts
sounds cool but why? What gains would you get from it?

·
5cylinder and Tire slayer
16,420 Posts
YOUR ZQ8 may be a two piece because it is an extend cab there it has to be, mine is a one piece

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds cool but why? What gains would you get from it?
more power. As it takes much less power to turn the weight.

Same concept as txscolorado using those super light wheels.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YOUR ZQ8 may be a two piece because it is an extend cab there it has to be, mine is a one piece
I'm not positive. Its been awhile since i was under there. I'm gonna look while i'm doing the heat shield bracket.

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
thats interesting cause bigblue and i were kinda talking about it the other night. Cause his is completely rusted, whereas mine is completely clean. What had happened when i got my truck was it had alot of rust, so I bitched really really loud and they ended up replacing mine with an aluminum shaft. I had though aluminum shafts were standard on the truck, but after checking other CC, they all seem to be steel. Am I wrong??

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats interesting cause bigblue and i were kinda talking about it the other night. Cause his is completely rusted, whereas mine is completely clean. What had happened when i got my truck was it had alot of rust, so I bitched really really loud and they ended up replacing mine with an aluminum shaft. I had though aluminum shafts were standard on the truck, but after checking other CC, they all seem to be steel. Am I wrong??
I'd be suprised if they were aluminum. Since steel is cheaper.

Plus aluminum doesnt rust.

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
see thats what I thought...but then I was wondering why the dealership would put an aluminum one in as a replacement, when they could have one it cheaperwith a steel one. :shrug:

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
see thats what I thought...but then I was wondering why the dealership would put an aluminum one in as a replacement, when they could have one it cheaperwith a steel one. :shrug:
Are you sure its aluminum?? Or maybe they replaced it and clear-coated it to inhibit rust??

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
well its an aluminum color, and after a year it still looks brand new, even after its been taken offroad, and beat to hell, with no rust visiable at all.....its the only thing I can assume.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My only other suspscion is that i had heard a rumor that Z71s have alum. driveshafts. Maybe thats why?

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
i dunno...im gonna go pull the part number real quick.

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
so it shows it as being option JZ3...and it looks like I have a bigger problem. One of the lines on myrear diff is disconnected. Its an upper line. Do you have any clue?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so it shows it as being option JZ3...and it looks like I have a bigger problem. One of the lines on myrear diff is disconnected. Its an upper line. Do you have any clue?
Breather line maybe??

So ZJ3 is a alum. driveshaft?

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
i dont know im gonna go look at it again and actually pull the real part number but im guessing its an option code, cause it was in bold black. So you thing the line is a diff breather line? Did realize they had those.it plugs into the top of the diff and on the other end is a white piece.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like this?

That black tube on top is a breather. Possibly part of the offroad package(yours a Z71?)

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
yeah....looks pretty damn close...gotta figure out where it actually goes...the way its hanging right now im suprised it didnt get bound into the shaft. part number 15176187

1 - 20 of 41 Posts