Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have Custom lighting in their truck bed? Thinking about adding lights under the bed rails. whats everyones input?

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
I used some waterproof white LED strips and mounted them under the bed rails. I ran 12v power from the battery and control the lights with a tilt switch in the tailgate.

Here's a short video of the mercury tilt switch...

Here's a picture of the mercury tilt switch installed inside the tailgate near the handle. It's just spliced into the positive wire that feeds the LED's.

The LED's come on when the switch is level (i.e. tailgate open) and turn off when the tailgate is closed.

A hood pin type contact switch could also be used instead of a mercury switch. I prefer the tilt switch since it's hidden and it doesn't require any drilling to mount it, since it held in place with some double sided tape.

Work's great and simple to install.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's awesome! Is there a way to power the lights without running the power to the car battery? Like a battery/power source in the bed, activated by a switch? I'm not very electrical savy.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,946 Posts
Only power source in the bed would be the tail lights, and they'd have to be on to power the bed lights.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Since I put a fuse panel in I ran cable to the battery.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I used a white under body led kit, it was the cheapest way I found to do it, used a small toggle switch hidden under the bed rail to turn them on and off.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I ran a power wire to my bed and installed 2 18" led strips. one on the inside of the toolbox, and 1 on the bottom lip of the toolbox shining in the bed. Hooked up a normally closed momentary push button where when u open the toolbox, the lights come on, and close to turn them off. I also put a small toggle switch on the outside so I can turn them on without opening the box. ImageUploadedByAG Free1410019753.581268.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1410019788.341901.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is my bed light setup, pretty simple, I think I might add a second light on the other side, easy if don't have two tie downs.

I replaced one of the rubber stoppers with a switch and mounted a 2"x6" LED backup light.

·
Lifetime Member
772 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I used some waterproof white LED strips and mounted them under the bed rails. I ran 12v power from the battery and control the lights with a tilt switch in the tailgate...
You're predictable....
pro-grade all the way.

:salute:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts