Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figure that this is the best place for this thread. If any of you mods or bigwigs feel that this needs to be in the carnage section, go ahead and move it!

I've been looking at the little I5 355s for quite a while, but I'm not a millionaire and I have a little motocross habit that sucks away all of my money. I also told myself that I wouldn't pull the trigger unless it was an extended cab, 4x4, 2005 or newer, and had less than 100k on it. They are almost non existent around here!

After 2 or so years of looking, I found one, and the price was reasonable for the condition.

I called up a few body shops and got price quotes on everything I could see being an issue. It really looked like an easy 2k fix job!

What I thought it needed:
-Right bed side
-1 leaf spring
-1 Axle shaft
-1 tire
-1 wheel
-Tailgate

With that, I called in some help, and we went to go check it out with a borrowed ex-U-haul trailer. 5 hours later, I was having some doubts about whether or not it was a good idea. Pictures are one thing, but actually running a hand over the bent and twisted metal makes a person think twice. For the same price, I could have a 2000-2002 full size pickup in fair to good condition, and no salvage title issues to deal with.

I had about 45 minutes to check it out, and after talking the dealer down in price 331 bucks, (no joke, it was that actual number), I wrote out the check and we loaded it up. Since that rear axle was pretty bent, we threw it on backwards and headed for home.

It took 9 hours to get back, which was a 3am arrival time. Can't say that I've ever made a sketchier haul in my entire life.

-Had to tie the steering wheel in place since GM forgot to equip these things with a steering lock when the engine is off/key removed.
-Backwards on the trailer meant a dangerous rear weight/increased chance of trailer sway.

Five miles on the interstate had us in 3 lane packed traffic. We were crawling along at 65, trying to keep things safe, but stay with a little traffic flow. It was about that time that the bedliner flew out of the box without any sort of warning. One second it was there, and the next second it was gone. I mean, I was going to tear it out anyways, but NOT IN THREE LANE TRAFFIC DURING RUSH HOUR. No one was hurt, in fact somehow that stupid flying hunk of plastic missed two semis and a couple cars by mere inches, and landed safely in the ditch. The bad news is that traffic pushed us right along and there was no chance to even try stop or go back to get it.

A witnessing semi driver thoroughly documented our vehicle descriptions, and license numbers. I expected 2 deputies to come flying out of nowhere to ticket us for reckless endangerment and littering. 5 miles later, the tickets quickly became the least of our worries, as my unruly new purchase caught a gust of wind, and began to swing dangerously close to out of control. I wasn't driving at the time, so I braced myself and prepared for the imminent rollover of both vehicles. Somehow, after a full minute of too much excitement, my dad saved it. Part of it was him being an extremely level headed person, and the rest was totally divine intervention.

55 miles an hour was the top speed for the rest of the very ugly journey.

A few days later, we pulled the box and took inventory of what the poor little canyon really needed.

-Full box
-Complete rear end assembly
-1 leaf spring
-Shocks
-Box Mount un-bending
-Shock mount repair
-1 new wheel
-2 new tires
-E brake cables
-Leaf spring bolts
-Gas filler hose
-Other random stuff that I'm forgetting at the moment.

And the rear part of the frame is 3/4" out of square.

More pics to come when I get my phone and computer on speaking terms again. There are a few in my "New chick from MN" thread in the introduction section.

·
CALI BOSS
6,326 Posts
Re: LilWolfess Goes Mostly Back to Factory

Looks like a nice truck on the driver's side. Good luck and welcome to the site!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
Well sounds like a roadtrip to remember.

Good news, we have seen 355s come back from worse. BTW we like lots of pics :kiki:

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
408 Posts

Welcome aboard. Hopefully you enjoy the rebuild project and watch out for the mod bug, could get more expensive than the motocross.

·
Hybrid
5,842 Posts

You can just tell that She really is gonna do this....

Good Luck on the Rehab!

and

:welcome2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I have lots and lots of pictures. There's just this little issue that my computer refuses to acknowledge that my phone's micro SD card exists. Texting each picture to my email is getting tedious, and my time is "kinda" (read that as "extremely") limited by my job.

Either way, I managed to get a Friday off by busting my chaps working the 4 days before, so another trip down south was made to pick up a box, rear end, leaf springs, and emergency brake cables. We took a decently sized trailer this time.

Also, at that particular junk yard, I noticed one of the workers staring as my dad and I tied the box down (which took a shamefully long time). Y'know that feeling that someone is watching? I had some majorly bad willies from that guy. About the time I figured out where he was watching from, I also noticed the fairly gigantic butcher's knife in his hand. He didn't really do much except stand there and stare awkwardly at us. It was just plain old creepy, although butcher knives probably make for awesome junkyard tools.

Saturday was dedicated to racing.

This Sunday, we started pulling parts off, and replacing them with the ones we hoped were better. Again, I've got the pictures, but my phone won't talk to my computer.

It was raining a lot, so my little project got rolled into the shed to get the minor rear end teardown. It was pretty interesting since the passenger brake drum had been yanked for diagnostic purposes (it'd been bent and was dragging when I had given it the test drive at the dealer). Somehow, we didn't smash a bunch of crap driving it in the shed. The forklift was freed, jack stands were placed, and the teardown commenced!

The "new" axle got rolled under the new little pickup on Sunday, and leaf springs got replaced (the bro, the boo, and the dad all helped). We decided against putting the "new" driveshaft on, beings as the u-joints were better on the original. I can get a few bucks back by shipping it back to the junkyard. Pics to follow...at some point.

We did leave the box off. That will get put on after the paint job. The torch came out and a couple mounts got adjusted back to nearly factory.

I still need shocks, but I picked up the "u-joint repair kit" tonight after work, since the "caps" were a lot out of spec from the old u-joint.

·
Premium Member
18,008 Posts

Do we have a Birthday, Anniversery coming up so we can ask our Boo for a new Smart phone or a camera?

Any chance this occasion may be tomorrow?

:lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

More pictures of carnage, and fixing stuff.

-How to remove ugly/stubborn brake lines
-Shock mount got kinda ripped out
-Partial repair on the shock mount
-Approximating box/tailgate weight to tighten leaf springs
-Un-tweaking a box mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts

so far so good! keep us updated:popc:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts