Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had bought a 2006 colorado I5 4x4 with 181k miles on it. I had taken off the manifold back to replace the exauhst. I had also lifted the truck and repainted it. I put it in storage for about a year. I pulled it out the other day and it seems to be having major issues. I was driving floored and the truck wouldn't go past 40mph. It throw a passlock code but the truck starts and all, then it throw evap codes left and right, then throw another engine code. Any ideas?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wouldn't panic yet. Unhook the battery, charge it up, and try again. If the voltage isn't high enough these trucks act strange.

·
Registered
2005 GMC Canyon Z71 STD Cab I-5 Manual 5-speed
17 Posts
I've had something like this happen, but it could be something different. It has happened several times to me and now can be repeated/fixed on the road. I found why it was happening to "me".

What happens:
While driving, all of the sudden the motor would lose power and the dash is dinging and showing LOW POWER. Pushing the throttle does practically nothing. I got stuck on the freeway in rush hour traffic once this way. Had to cut through and piss off nearly everybody.

What I have done to fix it:
Unbolt the air Sensor closest to the air filter. Clean the air sensor filament with Electronic or MAF sensor cleaner (aerosol). Let it dry. Bolt it back up. Fire it up. Works every time......so far. I carry the tool and the spray in my truck at all times. It has happened during a 4x4 trip.

The Cause:
I forget the OBD2 code, but it was associated with the throttle position sensor circuit. Some kind of safety mode based on air intake. I realized later that I had over-coated my K&N filter with oil and as I drove, oil lightly misted my intake, including that mentioned air sensor filament. So if you use that filter, be sure not to use too much oil. I regret not buying a better/oil-less reusable filter for this reason alone.

I hope this works for you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts