Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Is full exterior Line-x paint a good idea for me?

• Horrible Idea

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Good Idea

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Great Idea

Votes: 11 57.9%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Black Colorado 4x4 has a few stick and branch marks down the side of it.
The newest addition though is the obscenities some chick I was friends with engraved
all over every side of the truck after I acquired a girlfriend. <delusional psycho>

I went to a few paint shops and a few body shops. All 6 agreed that it needed a repaint,
and that since it's so hard to match the hood and roof, I may as well paint the whole truck.
estimates varied from 3,500-4500 with no hood or roof to 5,000-6,500 for the entire truck.
Vinyl wrap would rip if it snagged a stick or branch. and it would be $1000
I've never seen a good homemade gloss black paint job and will not attempt it.

I can't see paying half the value of the vehicle for another fragile paint job that doesn't agree with my driving style or the nutcase that still lives in my city.

I saw an F150 in Huntington beach that with line ex on every thing except for the glass, wheels, and chrome bumpers. I thought it looked rugged. Definitely a head turner, but i'm sure not for everyone.

I called a line x franchise and he said he'd need me to bring it in for a quote, I told him to give me a ballpark estimate and he said around 3,000-4,000 That included the premium line x with UV protection, and a lifetime warranty at any line x franchise nationwide.
He told me it would be 100mils thick on bed and 50mils or so on the rest of the truck.
He even said it would only take a couple hours and I could drive it home an hour later.

To the point now... I'd like to go down to a couple line x franchises near me and get a more accurate number, hopefully even a lower price. I'm hoping they will let me prep it myself or disassemble or whatever else needs to be done to bring that price down within my budget.

My main questions are

1 Has anybody personally had experience with the new line x UV product who can share their experience? good or bad!
2 Would I ever need to remove the weatherstripping :shrug: on the top of roof, or z71 fender flares in the future? <for maintenance or mechanical repairs>
3 Does anyone have pics of a Colorado with line x on the body?

I was contemplating having all the plastics, including my third wiper cowl coated <masking blower motor intake ports first of course.
Masking over sunroof, windshields, glass and all related seals. Leaving the inside of the door jambs because I don't care, just let it overspray into it.
I can remove brake light assemblies and rear bumper.
I'm also considering not coating the grill, and chrome bumpers, but having rear bumper plastics, front air dam, and my trucks tool box all coated as well. I'm not a huge fan of murdered out, I think the chrome will give it a little contrast and visibility.
I also realize I will have to remove and or mask tailgate handle access cover,
but what else have I not thought of?
I'd like to have my mind made up when I go in so as to not waste the mans time and have him give me 3 different quotes/estimates.

sincerely, a noob :salute:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me it's bittersweet, I miss being in love with my truck, but I wish I could have spent the money on lifting it instead. If it does happen, it wont be for 6 months or so, but I will definitely post pictures when it's done.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
This link has a link to another forum with pics. Also on page one of this link there are pics of some body covered. Not full, and not line-x.
http://www.355nation.net/forum/exterior/129410-monstaliner-testimonial-thread.html

A truck picture:
http://www.355nation.net/forum/exte...ct-quarter-panels-rock-chips.html#post2621202

And there is this guy...
http://www.355nation.net/forum/memb...w1ton-2011-v8-totm-picture26438-dscn0358.html
@onelow1ton

That is not all Line-X...but perhaps some threads and info about doing your truck.

·
DK Moulds
2,011 Posts
I was in the same position as you, I wanted to change my truck color from blue to black, shops wanted about the same, i changed it to black myself, then I came across Scorpion Coating..and well....was back in the garage.

I don't have any personal experience with the new line x, I used Scorpion coating on my truck this last year. I'm not sure what you mean by questions number 2. If your concerned with it though, it could possibly be done separate. Not trying to change your mind on what brand you go with, but i was impressed and happy with my decision from Scorpion, and about a month ago my girlfriend slid on ice and her Jeep ran into the back of my bed, not one piece of the lining got taken off, and that's with about a 4 inch dent it put into the bed. So regardless of the damage, still impressed with how it held up. For me I wanted to do this for one main reason, and that is...to open up a shop this year dong so.. so what better way to advertise then to have a rolling truck.. some things i need to fix this Summer that were due to me rushing ( not having a second person helping, 4hrs of sleep, not taping down paper to floor, and no pre-gun regulator) other than that I'm happy with it.

and here was the dent

Good luck on your decision, Link is in my Signature to my build thread with maybe more pics in it. I look forward to see what you do. :salute:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links, I'll check them and Goro's tomorrow.
Un4given, that truck looks great!!!
Wish I lived near you, i'd have helped!
The only reason I said line-x and never really asked opinions about other brands is because I read all types of hurculiner, rhino, and monsterliner reviews that talked about fading, chipping, or peeling. I want this to be a well thought out decision. I'm still open to suggestion, but I like the fact that the linex xtra has uv inhibitors and if it fades, they reshoot it for free no matter where I move to.

To clarify question #2 i'm referring to the 2 channels that run from front to back on top of the roof. there appears to be some sort of rubber or plastic insert inside the two grooves on either side of my sunroof
<the 2 lines on either side of the third brake light, since your trucks too tall to see them> lol
I know it's next to impossible to remove line x so i'm thinking of things that shouldn't be coated over top of in case I ever need to remove them.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Most of our base Security Forces trucks are all liner coated exteriors and they really rough them truck up...I say = "go for it."

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
So when am I bringing my truck up @un4giv3n lol.

·
DK Moulds
2,011 Posts
Thanks for the links, I'll check them and Goro's tomorrow.
Un4given, that truck looks great!!!
Wish I lived near you, i'd have helped!
The only reason I said line-x and never really asked opinions about other brands is because I read all types of hurculiner, rhino, and monsterliner reviews that talked about fading, chipping, or peeling. I want this to be a well thought out decision. I'm still open to suggestion, but I like the fact that the linex xtra has uv inhibitors and if it fades, they reshoot it for free no matter where I move to.

To clarify question #2 i'm referring to the 2 channels that run from front to back on top of the roof. there appears to be some sort of rubber or plastic insert inside the two grooves on either side of my sunroof
<the 2 lines on either side of the third brake light, since your trucks too tall to see them> lol
I know it's next to impossible to remove line x so i'm thinking of things that shouldn't be coated over top of in case I ever need to remove them.
Thank you. Yeah I removed the rubber strips on the roof in the channels to install my lightbars.

Scorpion xo2 also has UV resistance. Its a softer material which is one reason why I feel itndidmt come.off when I had the bed damage.
I paid under 400 for the 4 gallon kit with hopper and cup brush to "scuff" up the truck. And I still have a gallon left over.

I'm not trying to sell you on Scorpion . but they are probably very similar in properties. And I'm sure it can be tinted like Scorpion as well. And If you have a line x shop that does it I say go for it.. Again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure if scorpion being flexible is a good thing or not. My Beater Saturn is plastic, has flexible panels and it's one of the reasons I like it.
The sheet metal on these trucks is crazy thin, I've got like 8 dings of various sizes on my truck. This is my umpteenth reason for not wanting another gloss paint job. I figure a line x would cover the dings. Did you have any dings that were covered by scorpion?
It looks like your scorpion is kind of glossy, wish I could see and feel it in person.
I was also thinking since linex is stiff it can only take so much pressure before it cracks.
I read that linex adds about 50 lbs to the bed, so i'm guessing it would add about 200 more lbs for the whole truck.
I think your truck looks awesome though! If I linex my truck it's gonna look like it needs a lift kit even more than it already does! One thing that's hard to believe is that no one on here has done linex on the whole 355 yet, There are a handful on the Toyota sites, jeep sites, and f150 forums. I've seen some great things on this site from many members. Looking at your trucks and seeing the progress and mods is fascinating.
It's hard to believe i'd be first to do this mod, with all the things I've seen on here.
<lexus engine in 355, SAS's, H3 parts interchanges, etc.>

·
DK Moulds
2,011 Posts
Yeah it is a bit glossy.. They do have a matte finish as well IIRC along with metal flakes..color pigments or add your own etc.

Yeah I had a few that covered up nicely.. My grille was probably the biggest one.. When I originally did the canyon cut out. I cut off too much.. So I ordered a new grille and done.. That one got broke and smashed..so instead of buying a new one.. I fiberglassed and body filled this one.. Hard to see in the pics below.. But if this one was to be painted regular..youn would see line ..but because I was going to bedline it.. I took a chance ..came out pretty good.

Its not completely hidden.but hidden more than with regular paint

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have done two trucks in bed liner Pros are extremely durable even when T boned no liner came off . Easy to clean = medium scrub brush Dawn soap = looks like new .

Mothers Back to Black makes it look even better . You will want to pay the extra coin for FINE
not course texture . There is a huge difference at joint body panels , and requires a different tip / nozzle . Also eliminates much road noise / vibration acting as a sound dampening mat .

Now the cons = Heavy you will add about 25 to 30 lb over a entire truck depending on size of truck . Once you have committed to it there is no going back to a normal paint job EVER .
You will hurt the resale value of the truck ( unless you sell to private buyer that wants coating)

Look at the product you chose for SUN FADE over at least ten years ! Research the Brand .

I did my first truck a 1967 GMC small back window in 1999 . Then I did my 3/4 ton Chevy long bed in 2002 . The 67 was totaled by a red light runner so cant say how it looks today , but the 1994 3/4 ton still looks nice 13 years later , and my Father inlaw who bought it from me does not wash it ever .

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
Paint has gone up a lot since I last painted a car it looks like.

What about the discount places like Earl Scheib or even Maaco? I just did a quick search for Earl Scheib and was finding prices in the 600-700 range for full vehicle.

I'll bet the price comes down a lot if you do a lot of the prep work, like removing headlights/taillights, bumpers, fixing dents, scratches, and chips if you're worried about them.

But I do agree with the other posters that the fully lined truck does look great.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the Colorado grill looks better IMHO, but I may switch to the canyon grill to give me a smidge better cooling. I wouldn't bother, but my center chrome moulding is pitting and the chrome has a crumple/bubble in it from when I rear ended an Altima.
<Altima was totaled, my truck just needed a new air dam and center moulding strip>
PS 2012 Altima stopping distance is 129ft 2007 Colorado stopping distance is 159ft.
Insurance paid me a grand since he cut in front of me and slammed on the brakes.

C10950, I agree completely about whatever I pick it needs to be long lasting.
I actually don't mind paying five times as much to have it done correctly, with a great product.
It is permanent and every one of these liners is a PITA to remove.
Of all the research I've done, I've never read about someone removing line-x.
Scorpion sounds like a great alternative for the money, but I am leaning toward Line-x.
I'm going to be known as that dumbass that overpayed for line-x if the scorpion still looks good after 10 years, or if it gets totaled before then.
People who have had Line-x since '96 when the formula was revised, claim that the liner is still strong, and hasn't chipped or faded.
As for resale that is a valid point. I'm not planning to resell, but if I do I think someone would rather buy it with line-x on it than cuss words scraped into it lol.
Great tip about the different texture, exactly the type of stuff I need to know before I talk to them.
I'm not too worried about weight, I was assuming it would add 200lbs lol
what brand bedliner did you use for the 67 GMC?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Paint has gone up a lot since I last painted a car it looks like.

What about the discount places like Earl Scheib or even Maaco? I just did a quick search for Earl Scheib and was finding prices in the 600-700 range for full vehicle.

I'll bet the price comes down a lot if you do a lot of the prep work, like removing headlights/taillights, bumpers, fixing dents, scratches, and chips if you're worried about them.

But I do agree with the other posters that the fully lined truck does look great.

You get what you pay for / cheap paint = low quality , poor workmanship , lower quality materials , and can hurt the value of a car/truck more than a worn factory paint job due to
it raises a red flag as to why was it painted ?

Paint materials are expensive now to meet new/current EPA regulations . Paint booths went up in price so in turn so did the work .

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used X-tream liners both times ( Black ) Your body will not be sprayed as thick as a bed is .
Most coatings in the bed are 1/8" to 1/4" thick depending on BRAND / Shop .
Your body will be much thinner but still very durable . 1/32" most likely average thickness .
Important to get @ all body gaps a roll around were the coating is on the back side of door/fender slightly to prevent pealing @ the edges of all body panels .

A full size bed ( coating dependent ) uses 2 to 4 gallons @ about 10 lb per gallon ) a whole truck is sprayed with usually 4 to 6 gallons due to it being much thinner = more coverage area .

I may be off on my numbers a bit due to it has been 13 years since I sprayed one of my trucks . However they will be close

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
Line x is by no means cheap. To me it seems you are paying more for the name. I have seen several DIY lined jobs that look just as good and seem to be just as durable. Just take advice from the ones that have done it and be sure to use one with a good UV protection.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've seen a few maaco $500 paint jobs in my day, I call them a 10ft paint job.
They look good from 10 feet away, but when you get closer you can see imperfections, tiny bubbles, dust specks, and spray lines; moreso at certain angles. <especially with gloss black> Even if I did this I know i'm gonna scratch it again when I go off roading the next day.
I'm curious how strong the scorpion liner is though.
u4given looks like he just sprayed over the fender flares.
still not sure if there would ever be a reason to remove them??
I guess only time will tell if it fades.
I've had my hands on Herculiner and in the CA sun I could pick it off with a fingernail <not easily though>
It's all gonna come down to price though, I don't think I can make myself pay 3k for line-x.
If I can get the price down by doing some work myself I'd go for it.
It looks like they prep it with a cup brush and grinder, I could to that.
some videos show them removing parts, some leave the parts in place.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So can anyone think of a scenario in which you might need to remove fender flares later on down the road?
example-- to take splash shield off for a nut that's located underneath ABS module
or something along those lines.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts