Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PM me for list of stuff, wiring harness that I offer.
-09 colorado v8 upper and lower rad hoses

-90 degree 5/8" and 3/4" heater hoses about 20" long, have me verify these before you would buy them.

-current performance engine mounts 150.00

-Ls2, or Ls3 intake manifold, depends on what heads, L92 will need Ls3 intake(sqaure port) Ls2 will be cathedral port. you can also use a Ls6 intake, but than you will need a 4 bolt throttle body to 3 bolt intake manifold adapter, or use a electric three bolt throttle body from 07 truck, may not 100% work, as it sets a code, but will not turn the check engine light on. All this doesn't matter, if your truck is 08 and up, you will have the ressesed fire wall and than can run the truck intake.

-2005 trailblazer or SSR 4 bolt throttle body, and 6 wire plug

-LS2 knock senors and plugs (2)

-2005 trailblazer or interchange non adjustable gas pedal

-late 07 and up truck water pump, to clear throttle body and car style intake, you will have to slightly file down the water neck, and may wish to drill and tap the water pump for a steam line. this is only required when using the car intakes.

-cut the idler, off the alternator bracket, and get a idler relocate kit from ebay, search ls2 intake truck motor, or accessorys. this is only required, when using the car intakes

-you can also run corvette accessory's but this will require turning the fuse box and battery on a angle to clear the alternator. also only required when running car intakes.

-you will need matching fuel rails for the intake of your choice, as well as injectors, or you can use the truck injectors with injector top hat spacers fat bottom o rings, from the injector connection, then use 1/4" washer spacers under the rails, and brake the plastic nibs off, the tips. also only required when running car intakes

-you will also need a 2006 gto evap soliniod and lines or some kind of custom setup. also only required when running car intakes

-I recommend using the LS6 valley cover with the oil baffle, and pvc valve, for good oil control. the factory corvette pvc lines are priced dearly, you can rig up a system for about 40-50, from a plumbing store.

-2 feet 11/32" vacuum hose for brake booster.

-07 colorado battery module and connector, turns battery light out on 06 and older Colorado with v8 swap.

-2004 corvette fuel filter regulator, for 2004-2005 colorados with return style fuel system.

-custom fuel lines, russell performance, makes adapters for gm rails. the return line is short and can be made from some repair kits and injection hose.

-2005-2006 trailblazer SSR or full size truck mass air flow sensor, and plastic reducer

-2006 fullsize truck ebay cold air intake, cut down

-new battery cables

-custom steering lines, or possibly 09 colorado v8 lines

-custom a/c lines or 09 colorado v8 ones might work

-new bell-housing, input shaft, torque converter for v8 4L60E, recommend corvette servo. or takeout v8 4L60E trans.

-08 colorado PCM bracket 10.00

-bend and reuse evap line from tank to back of motor, or use custom setup.

-black magic extreme 180 e-fan and controller.

-mod fuel sending unit if you have a 04-05 Colorado or it will read backwards. I can do this for 10.00

-locker oil dip stick, maybe your motor may come with one that works.

I used 2006 trailblazer SS T-304 stainless steel headers from OBX they came with high flow cats and a "Y" pipe which was easily extended to clear the Colorado tranny member with a straight section and a 90 bend.

as far as header fitment the passenger wasn't bad, just needed a little dimple, and a small piece cut cut of the top of the Colorado engine mount, no biggie lot of materiel on the mount!

The driver side was, and still is a nightmare, same treatment on engine mount, and also dimple for steering column, dipple collector for frame clearance, and used a come along to move the collector even further away from the drverside frame rail.

If I had to do this again, I would heat the drivers header with a good torch than use long pipe or bar, or come along the move it away from the frame. This way you wouldn't need to dimple the collector.

The worst part is the steering shaft mine still hits some times, at least I think anyway, may need to remove the header and redo that pipe so that it clears the shaft. Anyway the cost 699 shipped from eBay included gaskets and hardware.

edit I think the steering shaft issue is from the slip joint being wrapped with heat tape, which causes it to stick?

You might try camaro LS2 shorty headers, clear image or try "Y"factory Colorado V8 headers, or stock trailblazer SS manifolds these are all supposed to work, but the same two people told me the above headers would also work!!

keep in mind that both the factory manifolds are meant for 4 x 4 trucks and should work on 2 wheel drive.. yeah except the suspension and frame are completely different!! talk to the 2 wheel drive trucks that used the try Y headers had to grind the shock tower cut the engine mounts etc..

also 08 Colorado frame rails, fire wall, and engine mounts are all different and larger in most areas to accommodate the V8.

check out page 14 for some header pics on my thread

you will also need to repin the wires on the Colorado blue pcm plug, I will give detailed instruction on this, with a harness, this is not has hard has it sounds, maybe a bit of a challenge for some? I would do it for you but you would need to take the dash and interior out, on order to remove the dash harness!

Just so you know that would need to be done no matter who's harness you use!

you will also need to run a couple of wires into the cab, one for the starter relay, etc..

PM me for list of stuff, wiring harness that I offer.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hey Jamie, how you been, question, will the 90 degree heater hoses cure how ugly mine look. If so where do I get them. If you have time, look at my pic's and you will see what I mean. Thanks

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jamie, how you been, question, will the 90 degree heater hoses cure how ugly mine look. If so where do I get them. If you have time, look at my pic's and you will see what I mean. Thanks
Yours don't look that bad?? Are mine even any different? I have them zap strapped to the old wire harness plastic tab from the four banger! And I have been good, other than my second degree burn on my hand! From propane. How have you been Dave?

yours;

mine

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
other option is these factory 09 V8 heater hoses with metal tubes, GM is rather proud of them! They are quite expensive!

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
I wonder if the 355 v8 has a starter/battery cable seperate of the harness like my i5 does.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have been good Jamie, looking at your list brings back memories. Hard to believe my truck has been on the road almost 5 years and I still really enjoy it.
I took a trip this summer and hooked up with Heath(blue xtreme), and let him drive mine, I think he enjoyed it. It is funny that I see this guy (heath) on the site and find out we are from about six miles from each other. I have been in Az. forever, so it ws fun to go back to Iowa for a few days. He took some really great pictures of my truck, professional quality. I will send you a couple.

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
How bout package the motor up and send that to me :D if you don't mind how much you snag the ls6 for?

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been good Jamie, looking at your list brings back memories. Hard to believe my truck has been on the road almost 5 years and I still really enjoy it.
I took a trip this summer and hooked up with Heath(blue xtreme), and let him drive mine, I think he enjoyed it. It is funny that I see this guy (heath) on the site and find out we are from about six miles from each other. I have been in Az. forever, so it ws fun to go back to Iowa for a few days. He took some really great pictures of my truck, professional quality. I will send you a couple.
I got the pics looks great! Glad you still love your truck, like I do!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I paid around $4600 back in 06 for it at the local chevy parts counter. They must be pretty much bullet-proof because I have run it hard for around 80,000 miles, two of those with no rev limiter.

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
and it makes you wonder why people sell the ls motors from salvage yards for so much when you can buy new for about that price.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder if the 355 v8 has a starter/battery cable seperate of the harness like my i5 does.
Yes they are, Looks like you can buy it seporatley from GM as well, you have the by the negative and positive seporately, they are not cheap! But be cheaper making up a set.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sorry guy, but I really do not have any build pictures, the next time I change oil I will get some from the bottom.
During the build I was more interested in finding the tallest cliff for my leap after all the wiring and comp. problems. It would be really easy to do one now compared to then.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry guy, but I really do not have any build pictures, the next time I change oil I will get some from the bottom.
During the build I was more interested in finding the tallest cliff for my leap after all the wiring and comp. problems. It would be really easy to do one now compared to then.
comp. problems? like a/c compressor? I sorry if you already, told me the issues on it Dave, I just don't remember.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The only really big problems I had with the conversion was getting the computers to work together, so I could use all the stock gauges and speedo and stuff. It was just trial and error(mostly error) for about a year. One thing I remember is that when I first got it running every few miles the odo. would advance 19 miles! This was discouraging on a brand new truck! Changing to a six speed helped with some of the problems and was much more fun for me, and it was surprisingly easy to do.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts