Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
An l99 was dropped into a g8 gxp the l99 isn't the ls3 there two different engines. Similiar but still vary as posted above me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For those who pick up a truck motor to swap in your colly/canyon this is a how to to convert your truck style intake to a car which would allow you hood clearance. Depending on your build and throtle body you choose will actually determine which route to take. The main issue with converting your intake would be the clearance with the water pump and tensioner, again depending on your TB you choose to run. When you do your mock up with your intake, water pump and alt bracket, you will discover that your water pump neck will hit the throttle body and your idler pulley on your alt bracket also hits on the other side, depending on your TB.
You have a few options with a range of price's to go with...I guess it would all depend on what you want. If you plan to keep and run your truck accesories, which would be ideal understand that truck and car accessories cannot interchange due with the different spacing, I think it's about 3/4 inch off.

1. Take your truck WP to a machine shop and mod it to work or you can do it yourself.
2. Run a F-Body WP, spacers will be needed to make this work. The spacer will bring out the WP out 3/4" to match the rest of your drive. Can be picked up from ebay or action speed parts
3. Run the L99 WP off a 2010/11 Camaro, PN 19207665. I know its a car WP but for some odd reason this would remedy your WP issue. The only thing is that you also have to use the L99 tensioner. No spacers needed just bolt on.
4. Convert your entire drive assembly to a f-body style. Although GM don't make f-body kits anymore you'de have to pick a corvette one or find them piece by piece...costly

Now that your have your WP resolved you now can chop your alt bracket to relocate your idler pulley. You may still use your truck bracket. You may also purchase a differenct alt bracket if you choose but really not necessary. They can be gotten from kwik performance but unsure on fitment. Mock it up and cut where needed. I used a saw zaw and cutting wheel to remove the section. The cheapest way to reocate your idler pulley is to make your own that will cost no more than $20. Remove the pulley bolt and replace with washers to mock up how much the pulley will need to come out to align with the rest of the drives. Measurement is 10mm ID, 30mm OD and 20mm in length so you don't need to do the measuring. Now you have your spacer and you now have to replace your pulley bolt with a longer one that will need to me m10x160mm. Or you can order a relocation bracket that will mount to the 2 holes that go on the head which will allow you to mount your pulley in between, runs around $30. Can be gotten at dirty dingo or action speed parts.
Now you just need to measure for your belt...sorry I forgot what I used. But if you were to take a old belt from one of those rachet ties, you can measure easier and faster.
Schwanke engines also sells a complete kit. These are just some options as there are manyother ways out there to achieve the same results.

Hope this helps and sorry if some of it doesn't make sense. It's been a while and may have forgotten some stuff along the way.
so those are just 4 options? or all 4 need to be done?

·
Registered
2 Posts
geeesh and what would the grand total for a project like this be???

I have a 06 Z71 3.5L if I cant sell it or trade it to the dealer I wouldn't mind a Vette or GTO engine sitting in her.....

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
you can run the truck accessories and intake without clearance issues
No you cant??? WTF?? It its the firewall what are you talking about? I tried do I need to bring up the pics of the firewall smashed in and it still hitting it? Unless you shimmed up the rear of the trans, and smashed the hell out of the firewall and or are using the Trailblazer SS or 2008 and up truck intake, I cant see how you got it to work?

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Okay, but say I want to put an ls6 intake on the truck motor. Would I chose one of those 4 options? Sorry shoulda been more specific..
Yes one of the 4 options.

Also you can run the Ls3 pump by just pulling the pulley out 3/4" like I did, and tack weld it. I also drilled and tapped it for the truck tensions with a spacer, or you could try the car tensioner, but it might not line up.

Alos running a LS6 intake would require a 8 wire truck TB, to clear 2003-2007, the 2002 one won't fit, nor will the LS6 Tb, even with the modded truck acc.

Using a 8 wire Truck TB usually sets of a code P2119, as it the computers meant to see a 6 wire TB, I can physically mod the TB to turn off the code. If you want a LS2 intake it will have a 4 bolt TB, that will be plug ad play, use a LS2, or truck 08 and up TB. Or trailblazer 05-09 TB.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
geeesh and what would the grand total for a project like this be???

I have a 06 Z71 3.5L if I cant sell it or trade it to the dealer I wouldn't mind a Vette or GTO engine sitting in her.....
5000, and up I spent around 10000, but made many mistakes, and sometimes just buying a car motor off the hop might have been cheaper then switching the intake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
PM me for list of stuff, wiring harness that I offer.
-09 colorado v8 upper and lower rad hoses

-90 degree 5/8" and 3/4" heater hoses about 20" long, have me verify these before you would buy them.

-current performance engine mounts 150.00

-Ls2, or Ls3 intake manifold, depends on what heads, L92 will need Ls3 intake(sqaure port) Ls2 will be cathedral port. you can also use a Ls6 intake, but than you will need a 4 bolt throttle body to 3 bolt intake manifold adapter, or use a electric three bolt throttle body from 07 truck, may not 100% work, as it sets a code, but will not turn the check engine light on. All this doesn't matter, if your truck is 08 and up, you will have the ressesed fire wall and than can run the truck intake.

-2005 trailblazer or SSR 4 bolt throttle body, and 6 wire plug

-LS2 knock senors and plugs (2)

-2005 trailblazer or interchange non adjustable gas pedal

-late 07 and up truck water pump, to clear throttle body and car style intake, you will have to slightly file down the water neck, and may wish to drill and tap the water pump for a steam line. this is only required when using the car intakes.

-cut the idler, off the alternator bracket, and get a idler relocate kit from ebay, search ls2 intake truck motor, or accessorys. this is only required, when using the car intakes

-you can also run corvette accessory's but this will require turning the fuse box and battery on a angle to clear the alternator. also only required when running car intakes.

-you will need matching fuel rails for the intake of your choice, as well as injectors, or you can use the truck injectors with injector top hat spacers fat bottom o rings, from the injector connection, then use 1/4" washer spacers under the rails, and brake the plastic nibs off, the tips. also only required when running car intakes

-you will also need a 2006 gto evap soliniod and lines or some kind of custom setup. also only required when running car intakes

-I recommend using the LS6 valley cover with the oil baffle, and pvc valve, for good oil control. the factory corvette pvc lines are priced dearly, you can rig up a system for about 40-50, from a plumbing store.

-2 feet 11/32" vacuum hose for brake booster.

-07 colorado battery module and connector, turns battery light out on 06 and older Colorado with v8 swap.

-2004 corvette fuel filter regulator, for 2004-2005 colorados with return style fuel system.

-custom fuel lines, russell performance, makes adapters for gm rails. the return line is short and can be made from some repair kits and injection hose.

-2005-2006 trailblazer SSR or full size truck mass air flow sensor, and plastic reducer

-2006 fullsize truck ebay cold air intake, cut down

-new battery cables

-custom steering lines, or possibly 09 colorado v8 lines

-custom a/c lines or 09 colorado v8 ones might work

-new bell-housing, input shaft, torque converter for v8 4L60E, recommend corvette servo. or takeout v8 4L60E trans.

-08 colorado PCM bracket 10.00

-bend and reuse evap line from tank to back of motor, or use custom setup.

-black magic extreme 180 e-fan and controller.

-mod fuel sending unit if you have a 04-05 Colorado or it will read backwards. I can do this for 10.00

-locker oil dip stick, maybe your motor may come with one that works.

I used 2006 trailblazer SS T-304 stainless steel headers from OBX they came with high flow cats and a "Y" pipe which was easily extended to clear the Colorado tranny member with a straight section and a 90 bend.

as far as header fitment the passenger wasn't bad, just needed a little dimple, and a small piece cut cut of the top of the Colorado engine mount, no biggie lot of materiel on the mount!

The driver side was, and still is a nightmare, same treatment on engine mount, and also dimple for steering column, dipple collector for frame clearance, and used a come along to move the collector even further away from the drverside frame rail.

If I had to do this again, I would heat the drivers header with a good torch than use long pipe or bar, or come along the move it away from the frame. This way you wouldn't need to dimple the collector.

The worst part is the steering shaft mine still hits some times, at least I think anyway, may need to remove the header and redo that pipe so that it clears the shaft. Anyway the cost 699 shipped from eBay included gaskets and hardware.

edit I think the steering shaft issue is from the slip joint being wrapped with heat tape, which causes it to stick?

You might try camaro LS2 shorty headers, clear image or try "Y"factory Colorado V8 headers, or stock trailblazer SS manifolds these are all supposed to work, but the same two people told me the above headers would also work!!

keep in mind that both the factory manifolds are meant for 4 x 4 trucks and should work on 2 wheel drive.. yeah except the suspension and frame are completely different!! talk to the 2 wheel drive trucks that used the try Y headers had to grind the shock tower cut the engine mounts etc..

also 08 Colorado frame rails, fire wall, and engine mounts are all different and larger in most areas to accommodate the V8.

check out page 14 for some header pics on my thread

you will also need to repin the wires on the Colorado blue pcm plug, I will give detailed instruction on this, with a harness, this is not has hard has it sounds, maybe a bit of a challenge for some? I would do it for you but you would need to take the dash and interior out, on order to remove the dash harness!

Just so you know that would need to be done no matter who's harness you use!

you will also need to run a couple of wires into the cab, one for the starter relay, etc..

-09 colorado v8 upper and lower rad hoses

-90 degree 5/8" and 3/4" heater hoses about 20" long, have me verify these before you would buy them.

-current performance engine mounts 150.00

-Ls2, or Ls3 intake manifold, depends on what heads, L92 will need Ls3 intake(sqaure port) Ls2 will be cathedral port. you can also use a Ls6 intake, but than you will need a 4 bolt throttle body to 3 bolt intake manifold adapter, or use a electric three bolt throttle body from 07 truck, may not 100% work, as it sets a code, but will not turn the check engine light on. All this doesn't matter, if your truck is 08 and up, you will have the ressesed fire wall and than can run the truck intake.

-2005 trailblazer or SSR 4 bolt throttle body, and 6 wire plug

-LS2 knock senors and plugs (2)

-2005 trailblazer or interchange non adjustable gas pedal

-late 07 and up truck water pump, to clear throttle body and car style intake, you will have to slightly file down the water neck, and may wish to drill and tap the water pump for a steam line. this is only required when using the car intakes.

-cut the idler, off the alternator bracket, and get a idler relocate kit from ebay, search ls2 intake truck motor, or accessorys. this is only required, when using the car intakes

-you can also run corvette accessory's but this will require turning the fuse box and battery on a angle to clear the alternator. also only required when running car intakes.

-you will need matching fuel rails for the intake of your choice, as well as injectors, or you can use the truck injectors with injector top hat spacers fat bottom o rings, from the injector connection, then use 1/4" washer spacers under the rails, and brake the plastic nibs off, the tips. also only required when running car intakes

-you will also need a 2006 gto evap soliniod and lines or some kind of custom setup. also only required when running car intakes

-I recommend using the LS6 valley cover with the oil baffle, and pvc valve, for good oil control. the factory corvette pvc lines are priced dearly, you can rig up a system for about 40-50, from a plumbing store.

-2 feet 11/32" vacuum hose for brake booster.

-07 colorado battery module and connector, turns battery light out on 06 and older Colorado with v8 swap.

-2004 corvette fuel filter regulator, for 2004-2005 colorados with return style fuel system.

-custom fuel lines, russell performance, makes adapters for gm rails. the return line is short and can be made from some repair kits and injection hose.

-2005-2006 trailblazer SSR or full size truck mass air flow sensor, and plastic reducer

-2006 fullsize truck ebay cold air intake, cut down

-new battery cables

-custom steering lines, or possibly 09 colorado v8 lines

-custom a/c lines or 09 colorado v8 ones might work

-new bell-housing, input shaft, torque converter for v8 4L60E, recommend corvette servo. or takeout v8 4L60E trans.

-08 colorado PCM bracket 10.00

-bend and reuse evap line from tank to back of motor, or use custom setup.

-black magic extreme 180 e-fan and controller.

-mod fuel sending unit if you have a 04-05 Colorado or it will read backwards. I can do this for 10.00

-locker oil dip stick, maybe your motor may come with one that works.

I used 2006 trailblazer SS T-304 stainless steel headers from OBX they came with high flow cats and a "Y" pipe which was easily extended to clear the Colorado tranny member with a straight section and a 90 bend.

as far as header fitment the passenger wasn't bad, just needed a little dimple, and a small piece cut cut of the top of the Colorado engine mount, no biggie lot of materiel on the mount!

The driver side was, and still is a nightmare, same treatment on engine mount, and also dimple for steering column, dipple collector for frame clearance, and used a come along to move the collector even further away from the drverside frame rail.

If I had to do this again, I would heat the drivers header with a good torch than use long pipe or bar, or come along the move it away from the frame. This way you wouldn't need to dimple the collector.

The worst part is the steering shaft mine still hits some times, at least I think anyway, may need to remove the header and redo that pipe so that it clears the shaft. Anyway the cost 699 shipped from eBay included gaskets and hardware.

edit I think the steering shaft issue is from the slip joint being wrapped with heat tape, which causes it to stick?

You might try camaro LS2 shorty headers, clear image or try "Y"factory Colorado V8 headers, or stock trailblazer SS manifolds these are all supposed to work, but the same two people told me the above headers would also work!!

keep in mind that both the factory manifolds are meant for 4 x 4 trucks and should work on 2 wheel drive.. yeah except the suspension and frame are completely different!! talk to the 2 wheel drive trucks that used the try Y headers had to grind the shock tower cut the engine mounts etc..

also 08 Colorado frame rails, fire wall, and engine mounts are all different and larger in most areas to accommodate the V8.

check out page 14 for some header pics on my thread

you will also need to repin the wires on the Colorado blue pcm plug, I will give detailed instruction on this, with a harness, this is not has hard has it sounds, maybe a bit of a challenge for some? I would do it for you but you would need to take the dash and interior out, on order to remove the dash harness!

Just so you know that would need to be done no matter who's harness you use!

you will also need to run a couple of wires into the cab, one for the starter relay, etc..

What's up man I'm new on this never done a swap this is my first time but I see y'all guy having fun with this and I just bought a Colorado and I have a Yukon with everything working and I just want to try to do swap and I was wondering if you can help me with this

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys I', looking at doing this mod real soon, hopefully get my engine and transmission next week, getting a 5.3L out of a Silverado, was wonder if anybody can give me a good list of parts I might need, any advice I might want to know, I'm getting the whole truck since I plan to take a few other parts from it so I'll have the TCM and ECM for the engine only got 115,000KM on it, but like the rear axle for my 4x4 long travel setup I plan to do.

So far the headers I plan to use are the BBK's for the V8 Colorado, was looking at using the ECM bracket for the Colorado V8 as well, wanted to use a LS aluminum low profile intake 4-bolt with a 92mm or 102mm throttle body comes with fuel rails too for the kit I was looking at, was going to use the current performance motor mounts, ignition switch, throttle pedal and wiring harness even though the harness is expensive to me in CAD but seems the easiest to do, don't want have to rip the wiring harness out of my canyon need it to drive, unless I can just get the Silverado engine harness redone to fit my 04 canyon body harness, was going to use the 2010 corvette knock sensors and O2 sensors, 09 - V8 Colorado rad hoses will get the ebay 90 degrees, power steering lines and A/C lines from the Colorado V8 as well, Holly Accessory drive mount kit, battery is in the bed doing in a dual setup put in a dual fuse box setup for my lights and a oil catch can setup for the PVC in that spot, want to use a fuel cell since I'm having issues with my tank be in my spare tire spot since it's no longer there so I'll be using an external pump and fuel filter probably braided lines, want to delete the EVAP entirely not needed in CAD if I can, be doing a full custom vacuum and PVC hose setup all in red hoses, push - pull 16" 160-180 degree electric fans, Accel coils/wires and injectors, if the plug wires have springs in them I'll see about doing the spring delete kit way better spark, eventually want a tuner probably get the bully dog seems to be the cheapest and it does what I want in the end a throttle booster controller eventually as well,
Can I use the mass air sensor for the corvette ? was probably going to get the NTK if I can, with the Silverado air box and custom cold air intake kit.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts