Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Truck takes a longer time to start after i refuel.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
And....

What is the rest of the story?

I think you may need a bit more info. What is 'a long time'. How many miles on your truck? What engine? What maintenance has been done. Is the start delayed ONLY after refueling? Do you have any check engine conditions?

I don't know that I can help really - but you will need a bit more information for others to give an educated guess about where to start.

Seems like a vent problem, perhaps. Does it fill fine or does it spit fuel out when you're filling?
If not a vent, maybe a fuel pressure problem but that would be more than just having a hard time at the pump.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry,
Could it be a bad gas cap?
it cranks for a minute and then it turns over. and it only happens when i refuel.

i have a 2005 Colorado, I5, with 79,000 miles, regular maintenance

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
That confused me....I associate 'crank' and 'turn over' to be the same.

It sounds like fuel pressure is falling off when it sits. However it would always delay if pressure bled off.
It's a long shot, but you may try replacing your fuel filter. Your 2005 have an external filter that can be changed.

A faulty gas cap should throw a code from what I understand.

There is a vent problem that is sort of common. I mean it happens. But that results in fuel spilling over during fill up. Not delayed starting.

Nothing else comes to MY mind.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Funky gremlin there !!!
Got to be a vent problem... If at refills only.. IMO
Hope you find the problem and get it fixed !!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you run it all the way down to empty and refuel like most people, it could be the fuel filter, as stated above. ( Stirring up crap in your gas tank). Try to give us more info about what you mean by a long time to start. Thanks.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
You know I am having a similar problem in that my truck is taking a lot longer to start (10 seconds vs 2ish) in the morning after sitting than any other time during the day but it still drives/idles/etc just fine. I do have the gas cap code right now so I wonder if I am bleeding the pressure off over night and it just takes a bit to get the fuel to the rail in the morning.

I am going to try giving the fuel pump some time to prime in the morning before flicking the key to start and see if that fixes it. You could try similar to see if it makes a difference for you too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I apologize for not responding! A couple of problems came up and i couldn't get back to this. To answer some questions that was asked, it takes about 8-10 seconds to start when i refuel and only when i refuel. Normally it takes 1-2 seconds. Thats why it very weird. I don't understand what could be the problem.
Thanks for all the input, i greatly appreciate it!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts