Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to the LS-verse so be gentle 馃槀. As the title says, I've recently acquired an LM7 from an 01 Tahoe and I'm trying to throw it in the Colo, there are many helpful threads here for me to choose from but one of my biggest questions is what I should do about suspension? I dont think my stock stuff from the 3.7 I5 will hold up, but maybe I'm wrong... anyways, any help will help and I also accept any tips for the process or recommendations for the project 馃槉
Thanks Yall!!

Registered
'05 crew cab Canyon, swapping to 6.0 L96Vortex
Your LM7 5.3 puts out around 285-300 HP, your I5 puts out 220. Is that worth the swap? I'm putting a 400HP L96 6.0 and having to rebuild the tranny to a 4L70e with a 300mm imput shaft and upgrades for $2000. I spent $14-1500 with Current Performance for the harness, E67ecu, and tcm. There are more associated parts I'm not listing. This is not a cheap and easy swap. You are better off looking for a Canyon/Colorado that came with a 5.3.

Registered
OP, the suspension will be fine with a 5.3, the rear end is good up to around 400 hp.

Your LM7 5.3 puts out around 285-300 HP, your I5 puts out 220. Is that worth the swap? I'm putting a 400HP L96 6.0 and having to rebuild the tranny to a 4L70e with a 300mm imput shaft and upgrades for $2000. I spent $14-1500 with Current Performance for the harness, E67ecu, and tcm. There are more associated parts I'm not listing. This is not a cheap and easy swap. You are better off looking for a Canyon/Colorado that came with a 5.3.
If you dont mind me asking, how much was your L96? I'm trying to source one but prices around me seem high. I'm sticking with the factory AR5 from my colly so I dont need the tranny but I'm still not seeing anything under $2k

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OP, the suspension will be fine with a 5.3, the rear end is good up to around 400 hp.

If you dont mind me asking, how much was your L96? I'm trying to source one but prices around me seem high. I'm sticking with the factory AR5 from my colly so I dont need the tranny but I'm still not seeing anything under $2k
The front end won't sag from the increased weight?

Registered
'05 crew cab Canyon, swapping to 6.0 L96Vortex
I bought a wrecked 2018 1 ton truck with the L96 6.0L VVD engine and 24,000 miles that is going in my Canyon. Wasn't cheap.

Registered
The front end won't sag from the increased weight?
The line 5 is a heavy pig. You won鈥檛 see much of a difference.

Even with the extra 100 lbs in the trans (I opted for a 4L80 over the 4L60) I didn鈥檛 experience any noteworthy change.

and yes鈥 even an unimaginative LM7 swap is totally worth it. Cam and intake, and your making 400 crank at a fraction of the cost of a newer motor. Don鈥檛 be discouraged by the naysayer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts