Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to get in my truck this morning.The remote isn't working and when I try the key it won't turn to unlock.So where do I go from here.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
lock frozen? got onstar to try see if they can unlock?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have onstar,and the temp is 45 degrees.If the battery is dead which it shouldn't be how are we suppose to get in these trucks.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
weird how something mechanical will fail like this. may be dumb but are you turning to the left to unlock? left-unlock, right-lock

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am useing the right key, the drivers door is the only door with a key cylinder, and with the key inserted it won't move at all.I have had to used the key before and had no problems.I am thinking that a interior light got left and has run the battery down.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
but the battery shouldnt have an effect on the lock WITH a key....with the fob yes, key...weird.

it may just be frozen. it may be 45 now but over night guaranteed it was below 32. get some rubbing alcohol and squirt it in there.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
but the battery shouldnt have an effect on the lock WITH a key....with the fob yes, key...weird.

it may just be frozen. it may be 45 now but over night guaranteed it was below 32. get some rubbing alcohol and squirt it in there.
What he said, rubbing alchohol, PB Blaster, WD 40, coat it good.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
if its dirty, try some brake cleaner spry. stuff drys pretty quick, then a shot of wd40

·
shaved of course
1,754 Posts
I am useing the right key, the drivers door is the only door with a key cylinder, and with the key inserted it won't move at all.I have had to used the key before and had no problems.I am thinking that a interior light got left and has run the battery down.
i have the same problem with mine, had jiggle it around and pretty much force it to turn

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
if its dirty, try some brake cleaner spry. stuff drys pretty quick, then a shot of wd40
Don't use brake cleaner, it will strip your paint (unless you can guarantee yourself that you won't drip a drop).

Something has to be bound up in the cylinder or the mechanics of the latch mechanism. When you use your FOB, do the lights flash or the horn sound? Can you panic it to see if the horn sounds to be sure the vehicle battery isn't dead? Is it even possible to leave the interior light on and cause a dead battery? I mean, isn't it fail safe where the light turns itself off?

Turn the key over, maybe you have a bad cut on one side of the key and it's hanging up?

·
Registered
132 Posts
You got electric locks.... so the key does not turn the cylinder at all? Either way? Pull the battery out of the fob and clean it and reinstall it... does it work at all... I had this problem when the BCM was going out. If you can not get in do not break a window.... if you have to as a last resort break the passenger door window... it will cost you lee than a fixed window.

To open use a wood wedge on the door frame and use light pressure to spread the frame from the door opening. use a rod to work the door lock.DO NOT USE A SLIM JIM!!!!!

Last resort.. call a locksmith... but get a firm price for the job before he comes out as the jippo Russians out here will charge you $200 when the show up and Fuck up your truck.. Your insurance will reimburse you for a locksmith to unlock it..

Good luck

I was a locksmith for 15 years..

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
good point on the brake cleaner. hows MAF cleaner? that stuff also drys pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
When my moms dog locked me out they came with a small little airbag and pried the door open slightly at the top then used a long metal rod with a hook to release the lock.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took and had a new key made and it opened the door.The battery was dead, jumped it off and drove a few miles.Alternator is chargeing.Went back a couple of hrs later and was dead again.Battery is showing 2 volts.It must be a dead cell in the battery.The battery is only 1 year old.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts