Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*First time post* 2004 SLE 4x2 5 Cyl.

I started my truck Monday morning to warm up the cab and went back into the house. When I came back the doors had automatically locked! Is this a normal "feature" for the vehicle? I had to take my other car, drive to my parents to get the spare key - what a pain!:anger:

·
Administrator
8,904 Posts
Its only supposed to lock them when it's put in gear. Although I have never had it lock on me I roll down the window enough for my arm to fit.
^
I do the same

Well man that sucks getting locked out especially when trying to warm up the truck in the morning. Carry a second key in your wallet if this is the norm.

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
A second key is the best bet. I have one ziptied and hidden up underneath my truck just for situations like this. All I have to do is crawl under the truck and snap it loose and I'm in.

The first time I was lucky enough to poke a coathanger through the top of the door seal and press the unlock button on the armrest. Never again. :)

Oh, and to the OP, welcome!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I always leave the window lowered as well. I locked myself out in my driveway once (different truck). I got in, left the truck door open. Drove forward out of the garage with the door open (it locked) then closed the door after parked in the driveway. I thankfully had a key at home to open the locked running vehicle. Because of that, I don't trust any of them anymore and don't leave my truck running with the windows closed.

Also, my truck beeps at me when the driver door is locked if the door is open, and it never locks unless I've had it in gear (don't know if it would lock with the door open and driving)

·
Administrator
8,904 Posts
This is a good thread.

I just tried this, with the truck running and door open, the door will not lock. If you try to lock it, it automatically unlocks.

I know you can program the door locks to be auto or manual
http://www.ehow.com/how_7286092_chevy-colorado-remote-program-instructions.html

Do you have your owners manual?? engine off key in lock position press lock button for 3 seconds. press the dis button for 1 sec.and more than 1 sec. to set the mode.
mode1 all lock when not in park or 15mph, all unlock in park or when key removed with man. tranns. mode2 no locks, none unlock mode3 same as 1 but only drivers unlocks at park or key removed mode 4 same but no doors unlock in park or key out with man. key fob can be set up also. owners manual has the info for that too. Key in off Press lock and unlock on fob at same time till is says RFA on dic Push dic button 1sec. shows mode. Mode 1 flashes park lamps on lock or unlock Mode2Same but horn beeps on lock unlock lights flash. mode3Park lamps and horn lock and unlock... Mode4 RFA inactive push dic buttom to scroll thru modes and hold for 2 sec. to set mode.. Have fun with that

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
However mine is programmed now, it did not lock when I left this morning after reading this thread. I left my door open and backed out of the garage and the door never locked. Maybe I wasn't driving fast enough (these lock on engagement not at speed, correct?).

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
I always keep a spare key on the backside of my tag. Drilled a hole through it big enough for a screw to go through. I've always got my knife on me so all I have to do is take it loose and I'm in. No telling how many times it has saved my ass. Just my .02 :salute:

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
Fords used to be like that years ago. I ran into that problem on a rental Taurus and also on an Exploder back during my Autozone days. The second one was bad because the guy just ran in to get some bulbs and his kid was asleep in the carseat and the door locked. Now I just automatically roll the window down enough to get my arm in without even thinking, even on my truck with manual locks. But I also have a spare key at the girlfriend's house now too as well as one hidden on the truck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.